The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Rules check

A1 is fouled and goes to the free throw line and shoots 2 free throws and makes both. After the free throws are shot the bookkeeper discovers that A1 had committed his 5th foul 2 minutes earlier in the quarter. Does A1’s free throws count or because it is within the time limits of a correctable error that you take the two made free throws off the score and let A1’s sub shoot them? What is the ruling?
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by kda89508 View Post
A1 is fouled and goes to the free throw line and shoots 2 free throws and makes both. After the free throws are shot the bookkeeper discovers that A1 had committed his 5th foul 2 minutes earlier in the quarter. Does A1’s free throws count or because it is within the time limits of a correctable error that you take the two made free throws off the score and let A1’s sub shoot them? What is the ruling?
Why would it be a correctable error? Who was entitled to the free throws? When does a player become officially disqualified?
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

There was a case play a few years back that erroneously described this situation as a correctable error.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Smile 😊

I am throwing it out there to see what kind of different answers I get.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:20pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
There was a case play a few years back that erroneously described this situation as a correctable error.
What else is new when it comes to the NFHS.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Rule 2-10 does not apply to this situation.

Here's the discussion of the erroneous case play I referred to...

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...4-1-sit-d.html

And post #41 in this thread describes the correct ruling...

https://forum.officiating.com/basket...8-added-3.html
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Good reference

I am glad I brought it up. I like to see if everyone has there thinking cap on. I had this play many years ago except the bookkeeper caught it before the player shot the free throws. Always enjoy the fun ones 😄
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 02:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Disqualified ...

2000-2001 BASKETBALL INTERPRETATIONS

SITUATION 6: Al is fouled and Team A is in the bonus. Before Al attempts the one-and-one, Al is whistled for a technical foul for taunting. Al goes to the free-throw line to attempt the one-and-one with no players lined up. Al makes the first free throw, then the horn sounds and the scorer indicates that Al’s technical foul was the fifth foul on Al. RULING: The result of Al’s first free throw shall stand and Al’s replacement shall attempt the remaining free throw (if the first was successful), before Team B shoots its technical foul free throws. COMMENT: This is not a correctable error for a wrong player attempting a free throw. Al was not officially disqualified until the coach was notified. (3-3-3; 4-14-2; 2-8-3; 2-10-lc)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 02:38pm
Official Forum Member

Smile Need to put more tough ones in the book

They really need to put more different plays in the casebook and take some of the easier ones out. Having to go back to 2000 to get a casebook play is to far. This is my 36th year of officiating high school basketball and I have every set of rule books since I started in 1983-84. Boy oh boy the things we have had to do over the years. Lack of Action, old ways of 3 man switching 😄😄. Some of it is just plain funny now.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 04:22pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Ancient Days © 2018 Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. ...

Quote:
Lack of Action ....
The good old days. How about "Change of Status", and "Cadillac Position"?

MAKE AMERICAN BASKETBALL RULES GREAT AGAIN

I'm going to get some hats printed up.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
They really need to put more different plays in the casebook and take some of the easier ones out. Having to go back to 2000 to get a casebook play is to far. This is my 36th year of officiating high school basketball and I have every set of rule books since I started in 1983-84. Boy oh boy the things we have had to do over the years. Lack of Action, old ways of 3 man switching 😄😄. Some of it is just plain funny now.

It would be better if they just had a Master Case Book available online and they could have all the case plays to their hearts content. Then they could just delete case plays that are no longer relevant to the current set of rules. The printed books should highlight the new or updated cases.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
It would be better if they just had a Master Case Book available online and they could have all the case plays to their hearts content. Then they could just delete case plays that are no longer relevant to the current set of rules. The printed books should highlight the new or updated cases.
Perhaps we're coming to that point. In the past, their revenue was mostly from the sales of the printed books. Being in print, they had strict budgets on how many pages they could have and still make the profit they needed to operate.

Eventually, everything will be online and the number will not be an issue, but we're not there yet....too many people that still use only the books.
Old Tue Oct 23, 2018, 07:06pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
The good old days. How about "Change of Status", and "Cadillac Position"?

MAKE AMERICAN BASKETBALL RULES GREAT AGAIN

I'm going to get some hats printed up.

kda:

I can do you one better. I started officiating in 1971. Two years ago (and Mark, Jr.) will verify it, but I used a Casebook Play from 1971-72 to make the correct Ruling for a play being discussed at a LOA meeting.

What I would rather see is that the NFHS, NCAA Men's, and NCAA Women's Committees would post a combined repository, online, of all Casebook Plays and Approved Rulings going back to the earliest days of the National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada (NBC).

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Oct 28, 2018, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
... going back to the earliest days of the National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada (NBC).

MTD, Sr.
Wouldn’t that actually be an international basketball committee since it involved 2 countries??
Old Sun Oct 28, 2018, 10:06am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistlesAndStripes View Post
Wouldn’t that actually be an international basketball committee since it involved 2 countries??

No. Prior to the Amatuer Sports Act of 1978 the organization that was the U.S. representative to FIBA was the Amatuer Basketball Association of the United States of America (ASAUSA), after 1978 its name was changed to USA Basketball. Canada has always had its own representative to FIBA.

I do not have access to my attic at the moment but from memory some of the organizations that made up the NBC were: NFHS (back then, if my memory serves me correctly, various HSAAs of some of the provinces of Canada took part in the NFHS), NCAA, NAIA, NJCAA, YMCA, AAU, and ASAUSA).

Now, some of the organizations affiliated with USA Basketball are: NFHS, NCAA, NAIA, NJCAA, NBA, WNBA, and IAABO.

The NBC served only one purpose and that was write the rules and officiating mechanics for H.S. and college basketball in the U.S. and Canada.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio