The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Sep 13, 2018, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member

Off topic--Laptop

Hello all,
I am in the market for a laptop. Never had a macbook. I see that most of the officials/clinicians all have had macbooks at the camps and clinics I have attended over the past year.
I am not sure what to purchase. It will not be brand new. Probably refurnished.
Any help with this decision.

I will be using it for daily use. Please clipping plays, video review, powerpoints and for or assigning.

Any help would be great.

Thank you!!
Old Thu Sep 13, 2018, 03:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

I've never used a Mac so I am not a fan. But to edit and do all of that stuff is mainly because of the software you use. Many software is for both the PC or Mac. Obviously, PowerPoint IMO works best on the PC if you have Windows. There are so many options as well, it just depends on what software you would like to use on a computer. But that being said, I use a Surface tablet that is just like a computer. They came out with a newer version than I have, but sometimes you can still find a Surface 4 available.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 13, 2018, 03:24pm
Official Forum Member

Thank you for the response. I had an old Surface. Loved it, but I could not update it. Wife bought a used IPAD and I like it.
Maybe, I can make my mind up soon.....HA
Old Fri Sep 14, 2018, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

I use all Mac at work and have a Mac laptop. I love it. Does everything I need.
Old Fri Sep 14, 2018, 11:07am
This IS My Social Life

I typically buy a low-end refurbished Asus or similar laptop for 240.00 or so with a 500 gig hd every other year and get a one year warranty on it so that when it wears out after a year I get another on the warranty. Key thing is what program to use in order to make clips. I use VLC which has more features than I would ever even care to learn how to use, and also Windows Movie Maker and PowerPoint to make lessons. GoogleDrive serves as a convenient archive when unable email clips which are too large, or when I need to grant somebody access to a game or a large lesson. YouTube also serves as an archive and repository when I need just to post a link when I cannot attach a clip to an email or Facebook posting because it is too large. The only thing I cannot currently do and wish I could learn is how to do voice over for a video, pausing and restarting it while including comments along the way. And recommendations on that?