The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 01:04am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
This is about a soccer ref who did my son's game last week-end, and again this week-end. Upper teen age. Gave my husband and me a good laugh by his very relaxed and casual style. I'd bet a lot he can't pronounce the word hustle. Considering how un-energetic he was, he didn't do too bad a job last week. In fact, by his walking instead of running, he gave the kids some breathers on the dead balls. And he was uniformly cheerful and pleasant to everyone, which helped some.

This week it was a little more problematic since he didn't count my son's goal which would have won the game for our team. He just wasn't in position. But it was hard not to like him since he was literally soaked to the skin with the rain, still had two more games to do after ours, and was still friendly and cheerful.

This lesson was re-inforced for me: the ref's attitude does make a difference. When the ref relaxes a little, it takes some of the heat off.
Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 01:22am
Do not give a damn!!

Talking I just have to ask.

You couldn't be talking about his presence would you?

Peace
Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 02:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rainmaker
This is about a soccer ref who did my son's game last week-end, and again this week-end. Upper teen age. Gave my husband and me a good laugh by his very relaxed and casual style. I'd bet a lot he can't pronounce the word hustle. Considering how un-energetic he was, he didn't do too bad a job last week. In fact, by his walking instead of running, he gave the kids some breathers on the dead balls. And he was uniformly cheerful and pleasant to everyone, which helped some.

This week it was a little more problematic since he didn't count my son's goal which would have won the game for our team. He just wasn't in position. But it was hard not to like him since he was literally soaked to the skin with the rain, still had two more games to do after ours, and was still friendly and cheerful.

This lesson was re-inforced for me: the ref's attitude does make a difference. When the ref relaxes a little, it takes some of the heat off.
rainmaker: Having officiated soccer for 20 years (gave it up a couple of years ago), I agree that the referee's "attitude/demeanor", or call it prescense if you want, goes a long way toward making a game better. However, he could have "sold" it a bit better by hustling and being in position. I always tried to have fun doing soccer and only gave it up because it was becoming more of a "chore" rather than "fun".
Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

rainmaker:

I guess it's all a matter of perception really. We have a veteran official in our association who is well known for his pleasant and cheerful demeanor. Problem is, for every person, fan, coach, etc. that likes that style in a referee, you have just as many who think he/she is not taking the contest seriously. Wouldn't the heat of your son's contest been removed even more so if that referee had just hustled to get into position and made as many correct calls as possible? I'll take a stoic, hustling referee over a lazy, smiling one anyday. Just my opinion.

Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 09:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb Meeting Tonight.

At an Association meeting tonight, we had a coach speak on what was important to him as a coach. The first thing he talked about was how much an official's appearance made a huge difference in his "preception" of what kind of an official that person is. Now of course you are talking about the level of hustle and what that did to your preception of that official, but they all can go hand in hand. I have heard this several times before, you do not get a second time to make a first impression. For us that means just as much as it does for anything.

Peace
Old Sun Nov 17, 2002, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Re: Meeting Tonight.

Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
we had a coach speak on what was important to him as a coach. The first thing he talked about was how much an official's appearance made a huge difference in his "preception" of what kind of an official that person is. Now of course you are talking about the level of hustle and what that did to your preception of that official, but they all can go hand in hand.
Is that what he thinks of the official before he gets a perception of him/her?
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Re: Meeting Tonight.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by JRutledge
we had a coach speak on what was important to him as a coach. The first thing he talked about was how much an official's appearance made a huge difference in his "preception" of what kind of an official that person is. Now of course you are talking about the level of hustle and what that did to your preception of that official, but they all can go hand in hand.
Great call, Chuck!!
Old Mon Nov 18, 2002, 02:17am
Do not give a damn!!

Wink Yes.

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias

Yes. I would not go to a job interview in a T-shirt thinking that I am going to get the job. You should be in the proper attire when you officate.

Peace