The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Aug 22, 2018, 07:00pm
This IS My Social Life

New 1.13.2C in New '18,19 Casebook

1.13.2C: Officials arrive at a contest with a court length of less than 84 feet. There are no lines on the floor for the coaching box. Where should the coaching box be marked? RULING: On a court of less than 84 feet, the coaching box should be marked from the division line 14 feet toward the endline. The coaching box will extend from that mark toward the end line based on the state association’s permitted coaching box length. In this case, because the court is not 84 feet, the box may be shorter than 28 feet. On a court that is 84 feet in length or more, the coaching box will be marked from the end line 28 feet toward the division line. A mark off the court on the sideline is placed at the 28-foot line and another mark off the court at the endline will indicate the end of the coaching box if the state association adoption is a 28-foot coaching box.
Old Wed Aug 22, 2018, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

That should clarify someone's (I forget who's) concern over some "28 foot line" and "perpendicular"
Old Thu Aug 23, 2018, 05:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

English ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That should clarify someone's (I forget who's) concern over some "28 foot line" and "perpendicular"
That would be me. I fully understood the intent of the rule, but wasn't thrilled with the language that was posted on the Forum at the time.

I earned an A+ from Mr. Fiore in ninth grade geometry, but was doubting my understanding of parallel versus perpendicular.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Aug 23, 2018, 07:33am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... but was doubting my understanding of parallel versus perpendicular.
You could have cleared that up real quickly: https://www.bing.com/search?q=PERPEN...ox&FORM=IENTSR
Old Thu Aug 23, 2018, 04:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Universe Revolves Around Google ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Raymond actually uses Bing search? I figured that they went "belly up" a few years ago. Imagine saying that one is going to Bing something (sounds dirty) instead of saying that one is going to Google something.

Yep, I'm about as tech savvy as anyone can be.

Well, I think that I'll mosey on down to Blockbuster to rent a videotape. I have to remember to rewind it after using it in my VCR or the kid behind the counter gets mad at me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Aug 23, 2018 at 05:03pm.
Old Sat Aug 25, 2018, 11:07am
This IS My Social Life

There's Impact to this Casebook Reference

This casebook citation, if I'm reading this correctly, means that they can't just go to the endline and measure out a 28' box on every floor. That would work on a regulation sized 84' floor, but for others shorter than that, the resultant box length would be shorter than 28'. What would be the same, regardless the length of gyms, would be the distance from the division line to the beginning of the coaching box. That would always be the same distance, 14', according to the new 1.13.2C. The new wording of rule 1-13-2, measuring from the endline 28' toward the division line, applies only to an 84' regulation sized floor.
Right?
Old Sat Aug 25, 2018, 11:20am
This IS My Social Life

A Variance to 1.13.2C Allowed, Maybe?

However, with this NOTE added to 1.13.2C, does this mean that shorter courts can simply measure from the endline inward 28' and call it good?

NOTE: State associations may alter the length and placement of the 28-foot (maximum) coaching box.

Last edited by Freddy; Sat Aug 25, 2018 at 12:29pm.
Old Sat Aug 25, 2018, 11:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Is This A Trap ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
... measure out a 28' box ... regulation sized 84' floor ... shorter than 28' ... be the same distance, 14' ... 28' toward the division line ... an 84' regulation sized floor. Right?
I wasn't told that there would be math on the Forum today.

This sounds like another geometry question.

This time, I'll pass on the question.

Next question please.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Aug 25, 2018 at 11:42am.
Old Sat Aug 25, 2018, 11:34am
Esteemed Forum Member

Excuse Me ...

Quote:
... does this mean that shorter courts can simply measure from the endline inward 28' and call it good?
And possibly allow the coach to stand in front of the scorer's table?

"Coach. Excuse me. Sorry to bother you. Can you please move out of the way so that I can report the foul to the table?".

In almost forty years, I've worked in some pretty odd gyms (one looked like a bowling alley, but I digress).

I recall one extremely short court (two backcourt lines) where this (measure from the endline inward 28') would possibly allow the coach to stand on the "wrong" side of the court (if there was a coaching box back then, which there wasn't, we used the seatbelt rule back then). I actually worked more than one varsity game there. Working on this court was the only time that I invoked the second part of 1-3: ... If the court is less than 74 feet long, it should be divided by two lines, each parallel to and 40 feet from the farther end line. Team benches were crowded so close to the playing court that if a bench player was in a normal sitting position, his feet would extend onto the playing court. Scorer's table extended a few inches onto the playing court.

We were all pleased when this school built a new gymnasium, which presented its own problems. On sunny afternoons (prep schools often play Saturday afternoon games) the low angle winter sunlight streams through poorly positioned floor to ceiling windows causing glare problems for the officials, especially in seeing lines on the shiny polyurethaned gymnasium floor.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 26, 2018 at 12:32pm.
Old Sun Aug 26, 2018, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
However, with this NOTE added to 1.13.2C, does this mean that shorter courts can simply measure from the endline inward 28' and call it good?

NOTE: State associations may alter the length and placement of the 28-foot (maximum) coaching box.
Some courts are longer than 84 feet so they can’t always measure from the center line
Old Sun Aug 26, 2018, 12:04pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A Few More Steps To Go ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Some courts are longer than 84 feet so they can’t always measure from the center line
We have a few ninety-four feet long high school courts in our local area. It always takes me a few minutes to get used to working on these courts. As the new lead, I'll be running while looking back over my shoulder, think that I'm at the endline, and discover that I still have a few more steps to go.

For some reason, it's more noticeable now then it was almost forty years ago. Maybe these courts got longer over the years. As a matter of fact, it seems that even the eighty-four feet long courts are getting longer. And the players are getting younger. Now, where are my reading glasses?

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Aug 26, 2018 at 03:57pm.