The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 01:10pm
Official Forum Member

"A1 catches the ball while both feet are off the floor, alights on one foot, jumps off that foot and come to a stop with both feet simultaneously hitting the floor. A1 then lifts one foot and throws for a goal or passes."

Is this legal as the casebook says?

Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Are you asking if it's legal? Or are you asking if the casebook has a misprint?

In any case, the play is legal. A1 has performed a legal jump stop. However, in coming to a jump stop, A1 has no pivot foot. One or both feet may be lifted, but not returned to the floor while A1 still has control of the ball. Therefore lifting one foot and shooting is legal. Just like the casebook says.

Hope that helps. If not, what is it about the case that troubles you?

Chuck
Old Thu Nov 07, 2002, 01:18pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by caref

"A1 catches the ball while both feet are off the floor, alights on one foot, jumps off that foot and come to a stop with both feet simultaneously hitting the floor. A1 then lifts one foot and throws for a goal or passes."

Is this legal as the casebook says?

Everybody knows that I love to give long answers when a short answer would work and for this question I will be no different than in the past. Here is the long answer: yes.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Nov 08, 2002, 06:37am
Official Forum Member

I must be mis-reading this. When A1 "alights" on one foot, why doesn't this become his/her pivot foot? A1 then jumps off that foot and makes a jump stop. A1 has lifted the pivot foot and returned it to the floor without shooting. Would this not be a travel? What am I missing, other than needing a cup of coffee?
Old Fri Nov 08, 2002, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dblref
I must be mis-reading this. When A1 "alights" on one foot, why doesn't this become his/her pivot foot? A1 then jumps off that foot and makes a jump stop. A1 has lifted the pivot foot and returned it to the floor without shooting. Would this not be a travel? What am I missing, other than needing a cup of coffee?
Check out Rule 4-43 Art.2 b.2 and Art.4a

dblref...Don't you "alight" on at least one foot when you are "driving" to the basket for a lay up and have picked up your dribble? Maybe it will help to look at it that way.

RD

[Edited by RookieDude on Nov 8th, 2002 at 07:59 AM]
Old Fri Nov 08, 2002, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When A1 "alights" on one foot, why doesn't this become his/her pivot foot?
You're not mis-reading. You just have misunderstood how the pivot foot is established. When one or both feet are off the ground, generally the pivot foot is not established until the second foot touches. If you catch the ball with one foot on the ground "it is the pivot when the other foot touches in a step." (4-43-2b.1) So if you catch it and then jump one foot, you haven't really lifted your pivot foot. Now when you land, however, you are not allowed to pivot at all.

Does that help?

Chuck

Old Fri Nov 08, 2002, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Chuck,
Can this player now dribble? Or is it only pass or shoot? Please discuss the why or why not with reference to his pivot foot.
Thanks
Old Fri Nov 08, 2002, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Nevadaref, I assume that you are referring to a player who has completed a legal jump stop and has not yet dribbled. In that case, he is exactly like a player who has gained possession of the ball while on the floor. He can dribble, pass or shoot (and can jump to do so, unlike the guy on the floor), or request time-out. He may not lift either foot before starting a dribble. 4-43-4

Take about 10 minutes and just read through the whole section on traveling (4-43). It's not difficult, but you'll be surprised at how specific the rule is.

Chuck
Old Fri Nov 08, 2002, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Thank you. I found just what I wanted in 4-43-4b. Dribble is okay. Of course, the coach is screaming at me now.
Old Fri Nov 08, 2002, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ChuckElias
Quote:
When A1 "alights" on one foot, why doesn't this become his/her pivot foot?
You're not mis-reading. You just have misunderstood how the pivot foot is established. When one or both feet are off the ground, generally the pivot foot is not established until the second foot touches. If you catch the ball with one foot on the ground "it is the pivot when the other foot touches in a step." (4-43-2b.1) So if you catch it and then jump one foot, you haven't really lifted your pivot foot. Now when you land, however, you are not allowed to pivot at all.

Does that help?

Chuck

Chuck: Thanks for the reply. I guess I was thinking that when the player caught the ball with both feet off the floor, then put one foot on the floor, this then became the "pivot foot" and could not be raised off the floor and returned to the floor without passing/shooting. My rule book and case book are packed in my luggage (working in Monterey, CA for the next 3 weeks) and I haven't checked the reference.