The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 11:16am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I would be surprised too, because Carver Arena, where the state games are played, is home to a D1 university, many of whom use PTS. I believe that officials must be especially aware of starting and stopping the clock properly when there is no PTS, and not rely too much on the system when it is there (use good mechanics, so the operator knows to step in when the system fails).
If the arena already has PTS then that's just dumb not to use it. The officials don't even have to do anything different -- they can count and chop clock as normal and not even have to press their button. The clock can be started by a guy at the table as normal and the PTS packs used only to stop the clock.
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

I totally agree. But you still need to be aware of clock status, PTS or no PTS.
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
The blarge could've been prevented with a good pregame.
I believe that they had to have covered primary coverage area and double whistles in pregame, with the extra time they had from arriving to the arena earlier. Maybe even state tournament officials forget sometimes .
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 02:10pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
If the arena already has PTS then that's just dumb not to use it. The officials don't even have to do anything different -- they can count and chop clock as normal and not even have to press their button. The clock can be started by a guy at the table as normal and the PTS packs used only to stop the clock.
Quote:
I would be surprised too, because Carver Arena, where the state games are played, is home to a D1 university, many of whom use PTS. I believe that officials must be especially aware of starting and stopping the clock properly when there is no PTS, and not rely too much on the system when it is there (use good mechanics, so the operator knows to step in when the system fails).
I need to state this. PTS is not the end all be all of solving clock problems. You still can have clock problems and you see they have them with the PTS. In the NCAA Tournament, there was a clock malfunction that helped cause a debate of if a player could be substituted for during that malfunction. My understanding the NCAA Tournament uses PTS in all their games. So assuming that would solve that issue is kind of silly when many big arenas use that system and we still see clock issues.

Secondly, it is likely not used because no official uses that system at all during the season and you might not want the first time to be the State Finals, which if not used properly or malfunctions, that would be an issue as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
My comment on NBA videos was not meant seriously, merely to highlight the use of non-approved mechanics at a high school game. If the Lead stopped the clock with a fist (the correct thing to do in HS and college), we would not have a blarge, since it was the Lead's premature preliminary signal that led to the double foul.
I disagree. The officials did not see the other official. Stopping the clock might have helped, but if you never recognize that your partner has a whistle then it does not matter. Even the Center held for some time but he clearly did not see his partner at all.

And for the record, I rarely know many officials that use the exact and proper mechanic in these situations. It is a great goal, but it is not often what happens in real life.

Peace
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 02:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I believe that they had to have covered primary coverage area and double whistles in pregame, with the extra time they had from arriving to the arena earlier. Maybe even state tournament officials forget sometimes .
Primary coverage areas really do not apply in transition. You have to help out in many situations until everyone is settled in the FC. This was one of these situations that either official could have had a whistle in theory.

Peace
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 02:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Learn this right now, bud: blue text = sarcasm on this forum.
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
blue text = sarcasm
I'm confused -- that's in blue, so is it true or is it sarcasm?
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I'm confused -- that's in blue, so is it true or is it sarcasm?
Argh, you're right as usual.
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I need to state this. PTS is not the end all be all of solving clock problems. You still can have clock problems and you see they have them with the PTS. In the NCAA Tournament, there was a clock malfunction that helped cause a debate of if a player could be substituted for during that malfunction. My understanding the NCAA Tournament uses PTS in all their games. So assuming that would solve that issue is kind of silly when many big arenas use that system and we still see clock issues.

Secondly, it is likely not used because no official uses that system at all during the season and you might not want the first time to be the State Finals, which if not used properly or malfunctions, that would be an issue as well.

Peace
No one said it was end all be all. The system would have very likely been very beneficial in the situation shown.
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 03:55pm
Official Forum Member

Am I missing something here or do most states use PTS in the latter rounds of the postseason? Why are people acting all surprised that it wasn't used here?

Our (SC) state finals are in Columbia at the UofSC arena and PTS has never been used. I assumed that was the norm.
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 05:35pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
No one said it was end all be all. The system would have very likely been very beneficial in the situation shown.
It might have like a lot of things in life "might" do something. But the problem again if you were paying attention, no one uses this system even part of the playoffs. So the biggest games of the year now have officials doing something they have not used likely their entire career until this very moment. So not just worrying about calling the game and doing all the other things we do as officials, now they have to add the usage of a device they might not even know how it works. I have used the system maybe 4 times total in my career. And the last time was over 10 years ago if I recall. So unless you use this system on an even semi-regular basis, I think that is the reason it is not used. It might not even be available to the IHSA either as assumed.

Peace
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 07:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

None ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... you might not want the first time to be the State Finals ...
One of my buddies worked his first state tournament this past season. He made it all the way to the quarterfinals.

Connecticut, especially my little corner of Connecticut, doesn't use a lot of three person crews, but we always use three person crews in the state quarterfinals, semis, and finals.

He did a great job.

After that game I asked him about how much experience he had working three person games. He answered, "None, this is my first three person game ever".

"Three person scrimmages?". "None."

"Three person camps?". "None."

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri May 18, 2018 at 07:41pm.
Old Fri May 18, 2018, 08:01pm
Do not give a damn!!

The IHSA has used 3 person since 1997-1998 for all playoff games at all classes and levels. Three person is not something they do for the first time in this situation. I have never worked a single playoff game in my career other than 3 person.

Peace
Old Sat May 19, 2018, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Play 1 is so confusing. The C held his signal long enough for the L to do his half-assed PC signal, which the C should have seen. The C then follows with another half-assed block signal. If I were the L and had a whistle here I would have deferred to the C if he also had his fist up as his look was much better than my guess.

Play 2. Ouch. Loss of 5 crucial seconds hurts.
Old Sat May 19, 2018, 12:15pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Best Laid Plans Of Mice And Men Often Go Awry (Robert Burns) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Loss of 5 crucial seconds hurts.
That's why I always keep a Cape Canaveral mental countdown for the last 10-15 seconds of a period. This allows me to anticipate the horn, and, as far as I'm concerned, also gives me definite knowledge (if needed).

Of course it's preferable, and more accurate, if I look at the clock when a whistle sounds (as either the calling, or noncalliing, official).

I should probably say almost always. Sometimes the action may be so intense and my concentration on such action so focused, that I may not realize that the period is close to ending. That's why I expect (as pregamed) my partner to signal me (index finger in air) if we're less than a minute, and I will do likewise (if I'm aware).

Once, or twice, a season the plan goes "awry" and an unexpected and unanticipated horn goes off, scaring the hell out of me, almost giving me another heart attack. I hate it when that happens. It's a good thing that most schools today have automated external defibrillators on hand. Otherwise I wouldn't be able to finish the game.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat May 19, 2018 at 01:44pm.