The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 25, 2018, 10:41pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

When the bonus goes into effect, would everything (common foul) be two shots? No more one and one?

For players fouled in the act of shooting, with the ball going in, or not going in, will everything be the same as it is now?

Please help me to understand.

ART. 1 Bonus free throws are those awarded for a common foul (except a player-control or team-control foul) as follows:
a. The bonus is two free throws that are awarded for each personal foul, and each subsequent foul, beginning with the sixth foul in each quarter.
b. The team foul total should be zeroed out at the end of each quarter, with the exception of any overtime period. The overtime period is considered an extension of the fourth quarter.
Rationale: This rule change proposal is designed to allow for a better flow of the game, and spend less time at the free throw line. During free throw administration the potential for numerous negative acts to occur, with up to seven players is a confined area. This proposal also provides for only one number of free throws awarded regardless if the foul was committed during a try or after reaching the bonus foul count (two free throws for all). This change has been implemented in the NCAA women's game for the past two years, and even with their bonus going into effect on the 5th foul, only 22% of the time do teams reach the bonus. This will reduce the amount of time it takes to complete a game, especially critical on a school night that proceeds a school day.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Right. No more 1+1, the bonus is always two shots unless it's in the act of shooting, where it's one or three in the same cases it's one or three right now.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 05:54am
Esteemed Forum Member

Keep It Simple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesBCrazy View Post
No more 1+1 ...
That sounds like an improvement in terms of reducing errors, both correctable errors, and communication mistakes before the lead bounces the ball to the free throw shooter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Absolutely not. The change will mean that there will now be four times in a game when poor communication between the table and the officials could lead to a correctable error (or not correctable if not caught in time). Some tables have enough trouble telling officials twice a game when a team is in the bonus. Absolutely not.
I believe that I'll change my recommendation to a thumbs up. This change will lead to fewer errors rather than more errors, as I originally believed. I'll send a quick text to Theresia before her committee makes any final decisions. Now, if I could only convince her not to go with a multicolored ball, that would make my day.

(Yeah, I know this image doesn't represent the proposed rule, but in my mind, it does.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Mar 26, 2018 at 06:39am.
Old Mon Mar 26, 2018, 04:15pm
Official Forum Member

Thumbs up

I love the last one. If the NFHS really wants us to be the fashion police then put some teeth in the penalty. I love the change to black or white only as well to make sure all coaches understand it
Old Tue Apr 17, 2018, 05:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Winston Churchill On The Forum, How Cool Is That ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Does the game really need all this constant tinkering?
It took me three weeks, but I've finally come up with a good answer to LRZ's question. In the words of Winston Churchilll, “To improve is to change; to be perfect is to change often".

Also, see: https://forum.officiating.com/basket...ml#post1020785

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 17, 2018 at 05:40pm.
Old Sun Apr 29, 2018, 07:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Having worked two camps over the past few weekends, I think I would be OK with changes to rules like resetting the fouls for each quarter, especially if the fouls are 7 per quarter. I would also be OK with the shot clock change as well, which I had been against. It will be a problem and a problem every game like I have experienced in this last camp. The shot clock will have to be constantly reset or will move when it is not supposed to, but I just say at this point, "Why not?" Everyone wants this so let them have it so they can complain about the controversies it causes and stoppages.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 30, 2018, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
I disagree. Having team fouls reset in each quarter will be a greater deterrent to fouling than the current system, and will reduce the current state of weirdness in high school basketball where teams play quarters, but direction and fouls are by halves. NCAA men's basketball is consistent, because direction of play, periods of play, and fouls are by halves. NBA, WNBA, and FIBA reset direction of play at halves, but periods and fouls are quarters. If fouls and direction are by halves in NFHS, why play in quarters?

5 fouls is simpler than remembering that 7 in a half gets you one shot, and 10 gets you 2. This is especially true if , say the 1st quarter has many fouls (~5 for each team), and the bonus is reached after just 2 fouls and 5 minutes of play in the 2nd quarter, or conversely, teams intensely foul in the 4th quarter to reach the (single or double) bonus after a more subdued 3rd quarter. This is the reason why women's college basketball switched to the 5 foul per quarter system, and both the NBA and FIBA also use the 5 fouls in a quarter = 2 shot bonus system (and why men's NCAA is also experimenting with the rule in the NIT). If you change your AP indicator every quarter (in addition to any other jump balls), you can also use the time to mentally reset your foul counter, and not have to remember "is the next foul I call the bonus?". You can then count your calls and your partners' calls each quarter to determine how soon the bonus will be reached.

Why would 5 fouls a quarter deter fouling more than the current system? By eliminating the single bonus, all team fouls (except player and team control fouls) after the 4th would merit 2 free throws. Coaches would have to adjust their teams' defensive strategies to forestall giving the other team 2 guaranteed free throws on any foul. This would make fouling less palatable as a strategy late in games, because a team that fouls to stop the clock would soon be faced with the prospect of seeing the other team's lead become unreachable if the other team makes their guaranteed free throws.
Love this thinking. Also it speeds up the game due to less FTs total per game. With so many officials leaving every year and more double and triple headers it helps the games end faster.