The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Why Aren't You On TV?

This time of year especially I am always amazed by all the high school, JUCO and lower level college officials who criticize the officials doing the NCAA Tournament, and often times correcting the calls and decisions they make. If you're so good...why aren't you on TV?
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

I'm too short.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I'm too short.

Candidate for one-liner of the year right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCAAREF View Post
This time of year especially I am always amazed by all the high school, JUCO and lower level college officials who criticize the officials doing the NCAA Tournament, and often times correcting the calls and decisions they make. If you're so good...why aren't you on TV?

Our collection of March trolls indeed criticize. The rest of us prefer the term “evaluate.” Would we do better? Probably not. But we talk about plays in the hopes of *getting* better.

We’re not as good as you give us credit for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 03:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm too short.
That's a....low blow.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 04:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I've worked with 3 Final Four officials during my modest career, and I've worked or camped with a few of the fellas who worked over the last week. They are human, trust me. They occasionally get calls wrong. There are a few folks in here whom I know have better rules knowledge.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 04:40pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Well Played ...

Quote:
I'm too short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
Candidate for one-liner of the year right there.
I don't now if the Forum presents that award, but we do present a Post O' The Week Award, and a Post O' The Month Award.

UNIgiantslayers's post gets my nomination for both awards.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 04:42pm
Esteemed Forum Member

News, Sports, Weather, Traffic ...

Quote:
If you're so good, why aren't you on TV?
I've been told that I have a face that's perfect for radio.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

Can't be on TV unless you are part of the network. In addition, there are not enough slots. Also, many fail to meet the minimum requirements by either forgetting or not having the desire. I've seen officials under D1 levels that I thought were better than who is on TV. Mind you, there are not many. The guys on TV are great and they get hundreds of calls/mechanics/rules/etc correct. So many correct, that we cannot post about them. So, we post about the few "mistakes" that we think they make, not in an effort to criticize/embarrass but rather to learn. Learning by the mistakes of others can be very useful. Anyone here going to turn their back to a player? Anyone here going to misinterpret the ball-stuck-in-net situation? Probably not.
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm too short.
/thread
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 07:09pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Anyone here going to turn their back to a player?
Teddy V not here to defend himself
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 07:12pm
Ok is the new good

Quote:
I am on TV..just not the channels you are watching
Old Mon Mar 19, 2018, 07:21pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'm too short.
And sadly, there won't be a reply to that from the person you're referring to since he got booted after a PM I received.
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 12:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
For one, video availability is highest at this level. That allows us all to look and analyze and learn. Everyone here knows that speed, angles, all have impacts on making calls correct or not. I know I look first to see why the official may have made the right call, not if they missed it. But watching video and trying to improve is one of the tools all officials are encouraged to use. I don't know any official worth a lick that has ever thought they've had a perfect game. Good yes. Great yes. Perfect no. And getting better through criticismand evaluation is part of the deal we all sign up for.
And to answer your question, I had opportunities when I was younger to officiate at the highest levels but determined I would be happier raising a family and not traveling on the road 4-5 nights per week.

Last edited by Blindolbat; Tue Mar 20, 2018 at 12:49am. Reason: Evaluations
Old Tue Mar 20, 2018, 06:01am
Esteemed Forum Member

Oh Give Me A Home ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
I don't know any official worth a lick that has ever thought they've had a perfect game. Good yes. Great yes. Perfect no.
Agree. After thirty-seven years, what keeps me going is the search for perfection. Maybe it's unobtainable, but I'm a competitive son of a gun and I strive for the perfect game every night I put on the stripes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
I had opportunities when I was younger to officiate at the highest levels but determined I would be happier raising a family and not traveling on the road 4-5 nights per week.
Exactly my situation. I wasn't very excited about traveling throughout New England (and other parts of the Northeast) during the winter months. Driving up to Orono, Maine, or to eastern Pennsylvania, just didn't appeal to me. Time on the road meant time away from my family.