The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 29, 2018, 07:30am
Official Forum Member

I still the VHS tape, no not a DVD of the game I officiated at camp that Hank Nichols critiqued at Don Shea's camp in 92.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2018, 05:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Old As Dirt ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
I still the VHS tape, no not a DVD.
Love VHS. What's a DVD? Isn't it a men's underwear brand?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Mar 29, 2018 at 05:33pm.
Old Thu Mar 29, 2018, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Nationwide Camp ( Don Shea / Henry Nichols)

And there was no camp brochure on line. I cut out the advertisement from a page in Referee magazine, filled it out and mailed it in with my check for $425....
Old Thu Mar 29, 2018, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And there was no camp brochure on line. I cut out the advertisement from a page in Referee magazine, filled it out and mailed it in with my check for $425....

According to the CPI calculator, $425 in 1992 = $753 in 2018.

That VHS tape must have been plated in gold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Sat Mar 31, 2018, 12:51am
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=crosscountry55;1020039]According to the CPI calculator, $425 in 1992 = $753 in 2018.

That VHS tape must have been plated in gold.

Ouch....stayed in dorms, no AC, had to bring a fan. Anybody remember camps like that in the early 90's....
Old Sat Mar 31, 2018, 10:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Pepperidge Farm Remembers ...

Quote:
... no AC, had to bring a fan. Anybody remember camps like that in the early 90's....
Been there, done that.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Apr 01, 2018, 07:56am
AremRed

Last nights assignments means Terry Wymer, Jeff Anderson, and Doug Sirmons on the title game.

First title game for Jeff Anderson and Doug Sirmons. Doug is working his 3rd FF after missing 2016, Jeff his second and second in a row. Terry Wymer is working his second title game in three years. He had Villanova's buzzer-beating win in 2016 but missed the interim year.

Jeff Anderson: had Villanova 3 times this season, Michigan 0 times
Doug Sirmons: had Villanova 2 times this season, Michigan 0 times
Terry Wymer: had Villanova 0 times this season, Michigan 7 times

I guess Rick Boyages doesn't care much about overexposure for his referees, he assigned Wymer to 5 regular season games involving Michigan. And that wasn't even his most popular team. Wymer worked Indiana 8 times this year and all were reg season games.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2018, 08:00am
AremRed

Regarding the second game last night I was pretty disappointed Keith Kimble was left on the bench, especially over Randy McCall who struggled a bit.
Old Sun Apr 01, 2018, 10:20am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
Last nights assignments means Terry Wymer, Jeff Anderson, and Doug Sirmons on the title game.

First title game for Jeff Anderson and Doug Sirmons. Doug is working his 3rd FF after missing 2016, Jeff his second and second in a row. Terry Wymer is working his second title game in three years. He had Villanova's buzzer-beating win in 2016 but missed the interim year.

Jeff Anderson: had Villanova 3 times this season, Michigan 0 times
Doug Sirmons: had Villanova 2 times this season, Michigan 0 times
Terry Wymer: had Villanova 0 times this season, Michigan 7 times

I guess Rick Boyages doesn't care much about overexposure for his referees, he assigned Wymer to 5 regular season games involving Michigan. And that wasn't even his most popular team. Wymer worked Indiana 8 times this year and all were reg season games.
Major college is not high school. Individuals at that level are under more scrutiny and held to a level of accountability that none of us are held to. They can work a with a team several times when that is one of their major conferences and no one says a word. Mainly because if a coach makes a claim, the conference supervisor and addresses the situation directly and quickly.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 01, 2018, 11:59am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Major college is not high school. Individuals at that level are under more scrutiny and held to a level of accountability that none of us are held to. They can work a with a team several times when that is one of their major conferences and no one says a word. Mainly because if a coach makes a claim, the conference supervisor and addresses the situation directly and quickly.

Peace
Plus as a former D1coach, I'm sure Ricks Boyage has a better feel for that type of situation.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 09:37pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I believe it is a factor. It is at the high school level. But what cracks me up is that somehow the Black officials have to justify their position and never the white officials, who again are not representative of the players that are mostly on the floor.

Peace

I have sent all Black officials to games where they might have been the only ones in the building. I've sent 3 women to work a boys HS game. Then I had 3 men work the girls game that followed.

I simply don't care. Nobody I work for (administrators of the 24 schools) or that coaches in my conference would ever say anything. They have more important things to worry about.

My criteria is this -- can you get plays right and can you deal with people?

I'm never going to get rid of people cause they are too white, too black, female, run funny, too short, too tall, too heavy, too thin.....provided they get their plays right. And I don't make specific assignments on those criteria, either.

I've only assigned 5 seasons now, though, maybe 1700 games. I might change my mind, but probably won't.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 11:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I have sent all Black officials to games where they might have been the only ones in the building. I've sent 3 women to work a boys HS game. Then I had 3 men work the girls game that followed.

I simply don't care. Nobody I work for (administrators of the 24 schools) or that coaches in my conference would ever say anything. They have more important things to worry about.

My criteria is this -- can you get plays right and can you deal with people?

I'm never going to get rid of people cause they are too white, too black, female, run funny, too short, too tall, too heavy, too thin.....provided they get their plays right. And I don't make specific assignments on those criteria, either.

I've only assigned 5 seasons now, though, maybe 1700 games. I might change my mind, but probably won't.
I'm going to take a guess that Wisconsin is a little different demographically than Illinois. Heck even certain parts of Indiana are very diverse.

Peace
Old Mon Apr 02, 2018, 11:23pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I'm going to take a guess that Wisconsin is a little different demographically than Illinois. Heck even certain parts of Indiana are very diverse.

Peace

Depends on the area.

Having experienced this kind of race-based assigning once (an assigner in Illinois back when we did 2 dates a year there insisted we have a black wing to work with the "black team") I think this nonsense is overblown. That guy caused more trouble than anyone on the crew, mainly cause he was a terrible official.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro