The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

End of Game Call - State Championship

Thoughts on the below call at the end of the game?

https://mobile.twitter.com/shakepepp...032120325?s=21

Last edited by NCHSAA; Mon Mar 12, 2018 at 08:24pm.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Really hard to tell from this angle. It looks like he had LGP. I don't see anything the defender did wrong. BUT, that doesn't mean much form that angle. I can imagine several potential ways to foul that wouldn't be visible from there.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 09:08pm
Do not give a damn!!

I see a possible foul. Hard to tell, but I see a defender that did trip the ball handler. The question is did he trip on his own over the defender or did the defender come forward and trip him.

Again these videos are so far away most of the time, the official is standing there and can see the play. Why do we try to make value judgments of a call with some poor video work? TV would not show a play from that angle and determine it was the worst call ever.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 10:38pm
AremRed

Looks like a foul to me.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 10:47pm
Official Forum Member

Left leg/knee stuck out but..... when there is not enough room between the defender and the sideline the onus is on the offensive player right? Yes, tough to see from that angle. Official sold it though.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 04:56am
Official Forum Member

In an unrelated note, why is the new lead completely out of the picture ??? There are 10 players in the back court.
He should at worst be a step or two over half court....
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 08:31am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
In an unrelated note, why is the new lead completely out of the picture ??? There are 10 players in the back court.
He should at worst be a step or two over half court....

I was thinking the same thing the very first time I watched the video. The late Edgar Cartatto would have had a fit right then and there if one of his college officials did what this L did.

I was more concerned about the L's location that I had to watch the video a second time to watch the actual Throw-in.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 08:36am
Official Forum Member

I loved the call and I loved the patient whistle even more. Start (good observation and position), develop (block, but end-of-game situation, white in bonus, plenty of time left, so let's see if W can play through it), finish (W ends up on the floor losing the ball, and he wasn't flopping, so I've got to have a call here).

Well done by the Trail.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The question is did he trip on his own over the defender or did the defender come forward and trip him?
Right at the 0:16 point of the video, the defender looks right down at his leg at the point of contact. Not something I would have caught in real time, but in retrospect, that leads me to believe the defender was trying to impede because he was interested seeing the effect of his block. I don't think you look down until after the contact if it's unintentional.

Just my gut feeling. I don't have anything to back it up.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Good call. Knee and leg was stuck out.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 08:55am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I loved the call and I loved the patient whistle even more. Start (good observation and position), develop (block, but end-of-game situation, white in bonus, plenty of time left, so let's see if W can play through it), finish (W ends up on the floor losing the ball, and he wasn't flopping, so I've got to have a call here).

Well done by the Trail.
I think he was actually a little bit too patient, a whistle slightly earlier would have fit the timing of the play a little better.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 10:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
I think he was actually a little bit too patient, a whistle slightly earlier would have fit the timing of the play a little better.
I don't agree, but understand where you are coming from. A quicker whistle on this play could have been a huge mistake, especially if #0 (who is a high DI prospect in the class of 2019) played through the contact. I liked how the official processed the whole play during the most critical point in the game, given the time and score.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Yes, tough to see from that angle. Official sold it though.
Watching a bunch of state finals last week with state observers, assigners, and other officials my biggest takeaway was the value in selling tough calls. We can debate a lot of these calls on the court, in the stands, and even on video. The bottom line is that when good officials are in position and sell the call, they will get the benefit of the doubt on tough plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
I don't agree, but understand where you are coming from. A quicker whistle on this play could have been a huge mistake, especially if #0 (who is a high DI prospect in the class of 2019) played through the contact. I liked how the official processed the whole play during the most critical point in the game, given the time and score.
I think the difference in thinking this is a late whistle or a good patient whistle is the difference between fans/non-officials and good officials. I think most veteran officials would agree this is a good example of seeing the whole play, processing the impact, making a decision, and selling the call.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Man that's a tough call either way. Probably had to be called though.

Why the hell is the defense trapping/pressuring 90-ft from the hoop in a tie game? That's just ASKING to get bit.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicGuy View Post
Man that's a tough call either way. Probably had to be called though.

Why the hell is the defense trapping/pressuring 90-ft from the hoop in a tie game? That's just ASKING to get bit.
Referees aren't the only ones who make mistakes in judgment in the heat of the moment late in a game . . .