The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   End of Game Call - State Championship (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103653-end-game-call-state-championship.html)

NCHSAA Mon Mar 12, 2018 08:21pm

End of Game Call - State Championship

Thoughts on the below call at the end of the game?

https://mobile.twitter.com/shakepepp...032120325?s=21

Camron Rust Mon Mar 12, 2018 08:28pm

Really hard to tell from this angle. It looks like he had LGP. I don't see anything the defender did wrong. BUT, that doesn't mean much form that angle. I can imagine several potential ways to foul that wouldn't be visible from there.

JRutledge Mon Mar 12, 2018 09:08pm

I see a possible foul. Hard to tell, but I see a defender that did trip the ball handler. The question is did he trip on his own over the defender or did the defender come forward and trip him.

Again these videos are so far away most of the time, the official is standing there and can see the play. Why do we try to make value judgments of a call with some poor video work? TV would not show a play from that angle and determine it was the worst call ever.

Peace

AremRed Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:38pm

Looks like a foul to me.

bucky Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:47pm

Left leg/knee stuck out but..... when there is not enough room between the defender and the sideline the onus is on the offensive player right? Yes, tough to see from that angle. Official sold it though.

Multiple Sports Tue Mar 13, 2018 04:56am

In an unrelated note, why is the new lead completely out of the picture ??? There are 10 players in the back court.
He should at worst be a step or two over half court....

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Tue Mar 13, 2018 08:31am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Multiple Sports (Post 1018820)
In an unrelated note, why is the new lead completely out of the picture ??? There are 10 players in the back court.
He should at worst be a step or two over half court....

I was thinking the same thing the very first time I watched the video. The late Edgar Cartatto would have had a fit right then and there if one of his college officials did what this L did.

I was more concerned about the L's location that I had to watch the video a second time to watch the actual Throw-in.

MTD, Sr.

crosscountry55 Tue Mar 13, 2018 08:36am

I loved the call and I loved the patient whistle even more. Start (good observation and position), develop (block, but end-of-game situation, white in bonus, plenty of time left, so let's see if W can play through it), finish (W ends up on the floor losing the ball, and he wasn't flopping, so I've got to have a call here).

Well done by the Trail.

crosscountry55 Tue Mar 13, 2018 08:42am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 1018791)
The question is did he trip on his own over the defender or did the defender come forward and trip him?

Right at the 0:16 point of the video, the defender looks right down at his leg at the point of contact. Not something I would have caught in real time, but in retrospect, that leads me to believe the defender was trying to impede because he was interested seeing the effect of his block. I don't think you look down until after the contact if it's unintentional.

Just my gut feeling. I don't have anything to back it up.

deecee Tue Mar 13, 2018 08:44am

Good call. Knee and leg was stuck out.

AremRed Tue Mar 13, 2018 08:55am

Quote:

Originally Posted by crosscountry55 (Post 1018832)
I loved the call and I loved the patient whistle even more. Start (good observation and position), develop (block, but end-of-game situation, white in bonus, plenty of time left, so let's see if W can play through it), finish (W ends up on the floor losing the ball, and he wasn't flopping, so I've got to have a call here).

Well done by the Trail.

I think he was actually a little bit too patient, a whistle slightly earlier would have fit the timing of the play a little better.

NCHSAA Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:07am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1018835)
I think he was actually a little bit too patient, a whistle slightly earlier would have fit the timing of the play a little better.

I don't agree, but understand where you are coming from. A quicker whistle on this play could have been a huge mistake, especially if #0 (who is a high DI prospect in the class of 2019) played through the contact. I liked how the official processed the whole play during the most critical point in the game, given the time and score.

VaTerp Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:21am

Quote:

Originally Posted by bucky (Post 1018802)
Yes, tough to see from that angle. Official sold it though.

Watching a bunch of state finals last week with state observers, assigners, and other officials my biggest takeaway was the value in selling tough calls. We can debate a lot of these calls on the court, in the stands, and even on video. The bottom line is that when good officials are in position and sell the call, they will get the benefit of the doubt on tough plays.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCHSAA (Post 1018845)
I don't agree, but understand where you are coming from. A quicker whistle on this play could have been a huge mistake, especially if #0 (who is a high DI prospect in the class of 2019) played through the contact. I liked how the official processed the whole play during the most critical point in the game, given the time and score.

I think the difference in thinking this is a late whistle or a good patient whistle is the difference between fans/non-officials and good officials. I think most veteran officials would agree this is a good example of seeing the whole play, processing the impact, making a decision, and selling the call.

MechanicGuy Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:36am

Man that's a tough call either way. Probably had to be called though.

Why the hell is the defense trapping/pressuring 90-ft from the hoop in a tie game? That's just ASKING to get bit.

so cal lurker Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:45am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MechanicGuy (Post 1018848)
Man that's a tough call either way. Probably had to be called though.

Why the hell is the defense trapping/pressuring 90-ft from the hoop in a tie game? That's just ASKING to get bit.

Referees aren't the only ones who make mistakes in judgment in the heat of the moment late in a game . . .