View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Yes, tough to see from that angle. Official sold it though.
Watching a bunch of state finals last week with state observers, assigners, and other officials my biggest takeaway was the value in selling tough calls. We can debate a lot of these calls on the court, in the stands, and even on video. The bottom line is that when good officials are in position and sell the call, they will get the benefit of the doubt on tough plays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCHSAA View Post
I don't agree, but understand where you are coming from. A quicker whistle on this play could have been a huge mistake, especially if #0 (who is a high DI prospect in the class of 2019) played through the contact. I liked how the official processed the whole play during the most critical point in the game, given the time and score.
I think the difference in thinking this is a late whistle or a good patient whistle is the difference between fans/non-officials and good officials. I think most veteran officials would agree this is a good example of seeing the whole play, processing the impact, making a decision, and selling the call.