The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
It was incidental until he actually got the ball. He then started a dribble and was knocked off the ball. The contact is the only reason he couldn't continue to control the ball. To me, that is a foul every day.
Except he never regained possession.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It was incidental until he actually got the ball. He then started a dribble and was knocked off the ball. The contact is the only reason he couldn't continue to control the ball. To me, that is a foul every day.
When he went to "go" he clearly lost the ball before there was any contact, he tried to pick up the ball and it rolled out of his hands when the defender was still a few feet from him.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
When he went to "go" he clearly lost the ball before there was any contact, he tried to pick up the ball and it rolled out of his hands when the defender was still a few feet from him.
And then, he got the ball again, and was pushed to the floor by a player in far less than an equal position to get to the ball. A loose ball isn't license to knock people out of the way to get to it.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And then, he got the ball again, and was pushed to the floor by a player in far less than an equal position to get to the ball. A loose ball isn't license to knock people out of the way to get to it.
I don't see the defender knock anyone. The offensive player was just running around like a chicken without his head and caused the contact. No call, play on kids.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 02:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Play #2

At the 0:10, 0:24, and 0:34 marks of the video, that is Black 10 running into his opponent (in addition to an arm bar).
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 02:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
I don't see the defender knock anyone. The offensive player was just running around like a chicken without his head and caused the contact. No call, play on kids.
He caused the contact. Seriously?
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

Not so much but he didn't have possession. My tolerance for contact is higher on loose balls. If he had possession easy foul. I wouldn't have called this, from the C especially.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 02:52pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Play 2 is an easy foul. IMO just bc the ball is "loose" doesn't mean anything goes. He is disadvantaged by contact that causes him to lose the ball.
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 03:11pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Not so much but he didn't have possession. My tolerance for contact is higher on loose balls. If he had possession easy foul. I wouldn't have called this, from the C especially.
You still cannot bump a person during a loose ball that has a favorable position. I get of both were in a similar position and the contact did nothing, but that is a foul either way IMO.

Peace
Old Mon Mar 12, 2018, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
You still cannot bump a person during a loose ball that has a favorable position. I get of both were in a similar position and the contact did nothing, but that is a foul either way IMO.

Peace
I could be wrong. From the consensus it seems that I am.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
I think there is a bigger problem here. In a lot of instances ( especially hoops ), I think a lot of crews at state championships are in over their head. In some instances you have local assigners submitting crews. You end up at times giving games to crews that have never seen that type of athleticism. Can you image a guy from the middle of nowhere in Pennsylvania seeing Roman Catholic for the 1st time. That official during the season is at best is seeing a guy that wont
get minutes at the D3 level and then in the state chip is getting a team with three D1 players who are going to Power 5's.

Im not saying guys dont deserve the assignnent, just feel at times the crews dont do the game justice....

Thoughts ????
I think the bigger issue is lack of familiarity as a crew. I worked a state final last year with 2 guys that I could not get on the same page with and it had a noticeable negative impact on the game. IMO, and that of 3 state observers I talked to immediately after, they both really struggled for huge stretches of the game. I don't know if it was necessarily a case of the level of play being above their heads or moreso that they just struggled that night.

VHSL actually made a switch this year, where instead of a mixed crew from different parts of the state, crews from the same association were assigned to all state games (quarterfinals, semis, and finals). From the 7 or 8 state games I watched, I thought it worked out well with crews being more consistent overall.

Anyways, I don't see any evidence of any of those issues being a problem on the plays cited here. I think they basically got them all right.

Play #1- This is the one I like the least. I think there is a bump on the ball handler that could have been called and then the rebounding contact seems marginal but also a case for displacement. The biggest issue to me is not that the T made the call but that he did not move to stay with the play at all. He should have stayed connected during the drive and, at the very least, stepped down to make the rebounding call.

#2- Fairly easy call IMO. People keep talking about a "loose ball" situation but the players are not in an equally advantageous positions. The contact from black clearly knocks white off balance and again, is a fairly easy call. And to answer the question in the video, I have no problem with the C making being on this play. I'd like to see the T more engaged but like the C hanging back here with a very competitive matchup coming his way.

#3- Also fairly easy one coming across the forearm to get to the ball.

#4- Close to establishing LPG but not a close call IMO. He was never legal and is sliding into path of airborne shooter.

#5- Again, no problem with C hanging back for a second and getting a good look at the contact on his side. Good call.

#6- The ball appears to be what hit gold in the face but I think #12 gets the inside of his arm before that. Good call.
Old Tue Mar 13, 2018, 01:27pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Gotta Be A Better Way ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
... crews from the same association were assigned to all state games (quarterfinals, semis, and finals).
We've always done it that way in Connecticut, from the first round until the state championship, boys and girls, all enrollment divisions.

Our main problem is the scarcity of three person games during the regular season, especially in some local boards (we have six local boards in Connecticut, two use quite a bit of regular season three person crews, four only do a few, including mine). Our interscholastic state high school sports governing body mandates three person crews from the quarterfinals on (some exceptions for some early round tough matchups).

I observed one of our local guys in a quarterfinal game. It was his first year in the tournament. He did a great job. After the game I asked him how many three person games he had worked previously. He answered that that night's game was his first three person game ever, not even a single three person scrimmage.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)