The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 08:08pm
Official Forum Member

2013 IHSA 2A Boys' Final...Ballgame99's Plays to Consider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Would love to get some input on a couple crashes. This crew seemed to struggle with PC/block/NC all day. Check these out:
7:38 of 3rd (1:29 on video) - looks like a good NC on minimal contact
6:55 of 3rd (1:30.20 on video)- looks like a block to me, they NC it.
2:57 of 3rd (1:40.3)- looks like block or NC to me (contact on outside of shoulder) but they PC it
1:30 of 3rd - good no call
4:55 of 4th (1:54)- NC on what looks like a PC but needs a whistle IMO.
4:16 of 4th (1:57)- PC looked like a block or NC (contact on outside of shoulder)
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 08:34pm
Courageous When Prudent

1: flop
2: block
3: good PC
4: TRAVEL. Apparently HS refs let this travel go all the time. It is ruining the game.
5: PC
6: Good PC

Got to call the crashes when a team's strategy is to draw charges. Contact to the shoulder does not make the defender any less legal.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 09:11pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
4: TRAVEL. Apparently HS refs let this travel go all the time. It is ruining the game.
Agree on all but 5, I think Blue 22 readjusted his position (sliding slightly to his left) while White 21 was in the air. Block, but I probably would not catch it real-time.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 09:20pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I agree with BNR (I would have had the travel).

On #5, I don't think the defender moves into the path, he's already in it and adjusts slightly within the path, so I'm not penalizing him by calling a block.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 09:22pm
Official Forum Member

I got a little skeptical when I saw plays 3 and 6 in real-time because the defender went down as though he was hit by a sniper rifle. I'm not saying they're not PCs but I'm saying I might have passed on them since the force with which he hit the deck didn't seem to match the force of the contact, which would've made me think he flopped.

The last two plays go towards the consistency factor I mentioned in the other play string. To have nothing on #5 then come back 35 seconds later and have a call on #6 probably had both benches on edge. Also, the no-call on #2, combined with two of the block/charge no-calls in the other play string in the first half. Again, the crew had a problematic night dealing with airborne shooters.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)

Last edited by JetMetFan; Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 09:25pm.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 09:30pm
Official Forum Member

flop
flop
no call
no call
charge - offense spread legs so that either leg was on each side of defender then goes through
no call

Last edited by icallfouls; Tue Mar 12, 2013 at 09:35pm.
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 09:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
flop
flop
no call
no call
charge - offense spread legs so that either leg was on each side of defender then goes through
no call
You should change your handle to inocallfouls
Old Tue Mar 12, 2013, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I agree with BNR (I would have had the travel).

On #5, I don't think the defender moves into the path, he's already in it and adjusts slightly within the path, so I'm not penalizing him by calling a block.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
flop
flop
no call
no call
no call
I'd like to hear rationale for why moving toward and under an airborne shooter resulting in that much contact is a no-call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
I got a little skeptical when I saw plays 3 and 6 in real-time because the defender went down as though he was hit by a sniper rifle. I'm not saying they're not PCs but I'm saying I might have passed on them since the force with which he hit the deck didn't seem to match the force of the contact, which would've made me think he flopped.
On #3 there seems like a little embellishment but still clearly a PC IMO. On play #6 it looks like he got rtfo. Not seeing it there.

And for ballgame99 I'd like to know what you see the defender doing wrong to consider blocks on plays #3 and #6. I think you and icallfouls need tutorials on refereeing the defense bases on your responses here.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 12:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
I think you and icallfouls need tutorials on refereeing the defense bases on your responses here.
In all fairness, in many of the plays we are missing the endline camera view, which is extremely valuable. I think the Seth Davis/John Adams block-charge presentation a while back demonstrated that in spades. There were plays on that video that looked like sure-thing PC when they were actually anything but.

I also thought many of the defenders in the video were flopping or borderline flopping. On a couple, the offensive player was definitely initiating, but the defenders were also going down like sacks of hammers with only light to moderate contact.

In that early play that you disagree on the block call, it looks like the defender adjusts after the shooter is airborne - they COULD have just turned to brace for contact, which is legal, but it's tough to tell from the faraway wide angle.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 01:25am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post

Got to call the crashes when a team's strategy is to draw charges. Contact to the shoulder does not make the defender any less legal.
I agree with everyone but #4, only because it is an issue to me when he controls or gathers the ball. I think I would pass on this play as tight as it is. Only on replay would have have real doubt.

Peace
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

More news:

Seton-Harrisburg: Bitter end still isn't in sight - chicagotribune.com
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 08:30am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaTerp View Post
And for ballgame99 I'd like to know what you see the defender doing wrong to consider blocks on plays #3 and #6. I think you and icallfouls need tutorials on refereeing the defense bases on your responses here.
I agree that in both 3 and 6 the defenders looked like they did a good job of getting in LGP, so I would be hesitent to go block on those, but I also don't feel like the contact is significant enough to go PC. I like the PC on 6 way better than on 3 (contact is more significant). The only reason I could conceivable call a block on #3 was due to the level of flopping involved. By throwing himself back like that he has created more contact than would have otherwise been there. These are tough calls.

Thanks JetMet for putting those together.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

1- *PC. I feel like he's exaggerating the contact but the offense is also going into/through the chest and position he legally obtained with no attempt to slow up or avoid. Don't want to give him this call but can't let offense just push way to the basket. Different angle or closeup mght tell me more.

2- NC - Ball is released well before contact, contact is minimal and has no impact on the play either way.

3 - No Call - Not enough there to go either way.

4 - Travel

5 - PC collision sends 2 defenders to the deck and is the offenses responsibility.

6 - NC - Shot is already off offense is trying to avoid d. Defender gets grazed and bails out.

All this being said I'm trying to look at each as a stand alone. If there are this many bodies on the floor in and under shooters al game (looks like a lot of flopping going on) by the 3rd or 4th quarter my standard may be impacted in terms of beliving the d is ever there and getting hit. I'm also going to become more sensitive to airborned shooter landing in and on someone who's choosing to go to ground.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 09:11am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
The only reason I could conceivable call a block on #3 was due to the level of flopping involved. By throwing himself back like that he has created more contact than would have otherwise been there.
Disagree. If anything, his legal backward motion reduces contact to the point where a no-call would be acceptable. No way is a block the right call on this.
Old Wed Mar 13, 2013, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

#6 whistle way before charge call? did trail possibly have contact on intial drive?