The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 23, 2018, 08:56am
Official Forum Member

strange/sad situation in game last night

Varsity game. Home AD takes a call on his cell phone. While on the phone AD works his way over to visitor bench and hands his phone to head coach. She is shocked, but takes the call behind the bench. Brief conversation, coach visibly upset, gives a "your in charge" look and hand motion to asst. coach and leaves gym. Asst. does great job rest of game. Head coach returns to bench 10 minutes later, sits down and has Asst. coach finish the game standing up. Turns out there was a death of someone closely associated with the team. Unsure if it was sudden, or was expected. Apparently she shared news with team shortly after game, as girls crying and hugging. I thought it was handled as well as could be by bench, did not affect play on the court, working officials not even aware it was going on, except change in HC.

Sadly, all I could think of was that if NevadaRef was calling that team wouldnt get any more timeouts.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2018, 09:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotationslim View Post
Varsity game. Home AD takes a call on his cell phone. While on the phone AD works his way over to visitor bench and hands his phone to head coach. She is shocked, but takes the call behind the bench. Brief conversation, coach visibly upset, gives a "your in charge" look and hand motion to asst. coach and leaves gym. Asst. does great job rest of game. Head coach returns to bench 10 minutes later, sits down and has Asst. coach finish the game standing up. Turns out there was a death of someone closely associated with the team. Unsure if it was sudden, or was expected. Apparently she shared news with team shortly after game, as girls crying and hugging. I thought it was handled as well as could be by bench, did not affect play on the court, working officials not even aware it was going on, except change in HC.

Sadly, all I could think of was that if NevadaRef was calling that team wouldnt get any more timeouts.
No, he'd whack the coach for leaving the box or for using the cell phone.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2018, 09:27am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotationslim View Post
That's unnecessary.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2018, 09:35am
Stubborn Member

Curious... How many would not allow the assistant coach to stand? At the time the official doesn't know the situation, so it's not like you'd be lenient because of the nature of the problem.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old Fri Feb 23, 2018, 09:50am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
That's unnecessary.
But true.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2018, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Curious... How many would not allow the assistant coach to stand? At the time the official doesn't know the situation, so it's not like you'd be lenient because of the nature of the problem.
As described, the situation obviously involved something unusual. If I had to respond, I might first ask what's going on, rather than jump to conclusions.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2018, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrz View Post
as described, the situation obviously involved something unusual. If i had to respond, i might first ask what's going on, rather than jump to conclusions.
+1
Old Fri Feb 23, 2018, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

also for context--

The game had had excellent sportsmanship by both team, both coaches behaving themselves before the phone call, and continued with the acting head coach, plus game was not close. Those two factors would have made ref jumping into the Bench feng shui likely seem a bit heavy handed.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2018, 02:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
That's unnecessary.
We can joke about it, but it's fact. The rules ARE the rules ARE the rules.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2018, 02:48pm
Official Forum Member

There was a time when coaches HAD to remain seated for the entire game. Coaches still coached. Games were still won and lost. Oh the simpler days.... I coached at Pa. schools that still had the rule and it was hard, you could not even show emotion on good plays or bad ( as far as leaving your seat)...
Old Fri Feb 23, 2018, 06:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
We can joke about it, but it's fact. The rules ARE the rules ARE the rules.
As the saying goes, use the rules to solve problems, not create them. No rule covers the situation in the OP, where an unexpected--and tragic--occasion arose.

Last edited by LRZ; Fri Feb 23, 2018 at 07:25pm.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2018, 10:11am
Official Forum Member

Not there and don't have details but kinda surprised that the AD did not simply wait until after the game. Was there an urgency/emergency? Doesn't seem like it as head coach returned.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2018, 01:34pm
beware big brother

There was no urgency, the person in question was dead. Passing the information along during the game does nothing to change that. The information could have been given once the game was over. Bad decision on the ADs part.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2018, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

Jeez, that's heartless and cold. But we can't let something like a death interfere with the game.

Maybe it was someone the team expected to be there--another AC, the team's shooting coach, mascot, former HC, or spiritual advisor. What is the sense of second-guessing the AD, who was probably as stunned and shocked as the HC was and made a decision under that stress?

Last edited by LRZ; Sat Feb 24, 2018 at 05:27pm.
Old Sat Feb 24, 2018, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
There was no urgency, the person in question was dead. Passing the information along during the game does nothing to change that. The information could have been given once the game was over. Bad decision on the ADs part.
Really? I mean....really???