The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 14, 2018, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Throw-in violation - Official's mistake

Hi everyone, new here. Been reading this forum a lot and finally decide to post. Great stuff, especially while I'm at work . Here's my scenario:

A1 gets an OOB spot throw-in along the end line. Timeout is called and after the timeout, A1 becomes the thrower. The official mistakenly tells the thrower he can run the baseline. The thrower does run the baseline. The partner official (unaware that his partner said he can run) blows his whistle and signals for the violation.

What do you do?
Old Wed Feb 14, 2018, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogumakilla View Post
Hi everyone, new here. Been reading this forum a lot and finally decide to post. Great stuff, especially while I'm at work . Here's my scenario:

A1 gets an OOB spot throw-in along the end line. Timeout is called and after the timeout, A1 becomes the thrower. The official mistakenly tells the thrower he can run the baseline. The thrower does run the baseline. The partner official (unaware that his partner said he can run) blows his whistle and signals for the violation.

What do you do?
Do over and tell the inbounder to stay put. I don't think there's a FED case on this, but I think there's an NCAAW case on it.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2018, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Do over and tell the inbounder to stay put. I don't think there's a FED case on this, but I think there's an NCAAW case on it.
Agreed. If he's already in-bounded the ball (completed the throw in) it's too late to fix the mistake, just in case a coach gets all excited about how that should have been a violation.

And while I'm extending that original scenario a little, if he's already in-bounded the ball, and then the partner comes in with the whistle, its still too late, and now that would be an inadvertent whistle, and you'll need to inbound from the POI.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2018, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

That makes sense, thanks.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2018, 01:08pm
Official Forum Member

Was the whistler on the end line? It is not clear to me. If not, there should be a conversation between officials about responsibilities and boundaries.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2018, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Was the whistler on the end line? It is not clear to me. If not, there should be a conversation between officials about responsibilities and boundaries.
I think this would be a situation where it would be acceptable for one of the off-officials to have a whistle. If you know its not a throw-in following a made basket, the player takes off running, and the official administering the throw-in doesn't call the violation, one of the other officials needs to get that.

If it turns out that your partner gave incorrect information, then you can reset the throw in.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2018, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiepaul View Post
i think this would be a situation where it would be acceptable for one of the off-officials to have a whistle. If you know its not a throw-in following a made basket, the player takes off running, and the official administering the throw-in doesn't call the violation, one of the other officials needs to get that.

If it turns out that your partner gave incorrect information, then you can reset the throw in.
+1.
Old Wed Feb 14, 2018, 11:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gogumakilla View Post

What do you do?
Yes, as others have said, the damage is done. As a side note, there are ways to prevent this: Before the TO is reported to the table, the administering official should communicate visually/orally to his partners (at least closest one) whose ball it will be, where the throw-in will take place, and what type of throw-in it will be. Before the ball is given to the inbounder, the administering official should signal what type of throw-in it is. At that point, if a partner disagrees, they can sound their whistle and get confirmation.