The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Alaska
Posts: 5
Game Fees

I am curious how different associations handle game fees. For example, our high school association has varying game fees based on school and game level. Are there other fee schedules in use? For example; pay by level of official regardless of level of game, or might a high level official who is conducting training in a freshman game receive additional pay.

We are having scheduling problems on lower level games where higher-level officials block themselves from these game times. I assume we are not the only one that experiences this problem. How have other associations dealt with this?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 09:21pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,570
Early games interfere with folks' 9-to-5 jobs. I think that affects lower level games more than game fees.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SE Ohio
Posts: 933
Game fees are set by the home school or the conference here. If you don't like the fee, you don't work for that school. Most lower level games here are double headers, Junior high are almost always DH's though some JH girls are just one game,and freshman/jv boys games are DH's . Some girls JV and varsity are DH's if both schools have enough players for both and sometimes they just play a half of JV.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 22
We have two pay schedules, one for Frosh or JV; one for Varsity.

Our unit covers two high school Sections. Each of the two pay different amounts but follow the same pattern of one rate for lower level games and one rate for Varsity games. All schools within a Section pay the same amount.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 11:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 269
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhistleMeister View Post
I am curious how different associations handle game fees. For example, our high school association has varying game fees based on school and game level. Are there other fee schedules in use? For example; pay by level of official regardless of level of game, or might a high level official who is conducting training in a freshman game receive additional pay.

We are having scheduling problems on lower level games where higher-level officials block themselves from these game times. I assume we are not the only one that experiences this problem. How have other associations dealt with this?
Thanks.
Standard Varsity rate of X, JV/Subvarsity rate of Y, if you work two varsity games it’s 2x, if you work two JV games it’s 2y less about $10.

I should mention, thats our assignors rates, if you go outside the association it’s about the same, but generally mileage is added on. My experience is that our assignor will pay veteran guys the full rate for both subvarsity games because it’s generally doing him a favor.
__________________
"They don't play the game because we show up to officiate it"

Last edited by packersowner; Thu Feb 08, 2018 at 11:40pm.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 10:51am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 160
What are your game fees in Alaska?

Our game fees are decided by the states athletic association. There are 4 rates Varsity 2man, Varsity 3man, Sub-varsity 2man, and Sub-varsity 3man. The rates are uniform across the state.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
What are your game fees in Alaska?

Our game fees are decided by the states athletic association. There are 4 rates Varsity 2man, Varsity 3man, Sub-varsity 2man, and Sub-varsity 3man. The rates are uniform across the state.
What sub-varsity games are you doing that are 3 man?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 816
In my area, a single underlevel game pays $52. An underlevel doubleheader pays $91. Varsity pays $65. Doesn't matter boys or girls, or the level of the official.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
What sub-varsity games are you doing that are 3 man?
Crews get sent out for JV/Varisty Double headers. Since the varsity game requires three officials they just have the crew work both games so one person isn't sent out for a single game. Not overly common but happens for me about twice a season.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
Crews get sent out for JV/Varisty Double headers. Since the varsity game requires three officials they just have the crew work both games so one person isn't sent out for a single game. Not overly common but happens for me about twice a season.
Gotcha. In my area, the JV teams are made up of varsity players who don't see a lot of time in the varsity game. Is that the same in your area?
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
Gotcha. In my area, the JV teams are made up of varsity players who don't see a lot of time in the varsity game. Is that the same in your area?
I live in a very large city with large schools, but in the case you are asking about is when we are generally sent out to smaller schools in smaller towns. In that case yes there is generally a decent amount of crossover JV to Varsity.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
What sub-varsity games are you doing that are 3 man?
My city with three large high schools works all 10th and JV in 3-man, with some 9th grade as schedules allow. It's the only way most of us can get 3-man experience before moving into a varsity schedule.
__________________
Throwing people out of a game is like riding a bike- once you get the hang of it, it can be a lot of fun.- Ron Luciano
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 02:27pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattmets View Post
My city with three large high schools works all 10th and JV in 3-man, with some 9th grade as schedules allow. It's the only way most of us can get 3-man experience before moving into a varsity schedule.
I wish assignors/schools in my area would allow us to do this as well. It's probably more on the schools, not wanting to pay more or whatever.

I work 90-95% of my schedule in sub-varsity 2-man. I'd love to be able to get more experience in 3 man and that would be a great way to get it.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 470
Quote:
Originally Posted by bas2456 View Post
I wish assignors/schools in my area would allow us to do this as well. It's probably more on the schools, not wanting to pay more or whatever.

I work 90-95% of my schedule in sub-varsity 2-man. I'd love to be able to get more experience in 3 man and that would be a great way to get it.
We get $65/2 man and $55/3 man, so it costs the schools a little more but they also get a new group of potential Varsity officials for their coaches to meet. A lot of these sub-varsity games are better than smaller school varsity games, so it works for us on the court too to have more eyes on the game.
__________________
Throwing people out of a game is like riding a bike- once you get the hang of it, it can be a lot of fun.- Ron Luciano
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Game Fees Ed Maeder Basketball 12 Tue Oct 20, 2009 03:28pm
Game fees. Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. Baseball 50 Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:07am
How much are game fees??? psycho_ref Basketball 8 Thu May 24, 2007 08:22pm
AAU game fees tnzebra Basketball 31 Fri Apr 06, 2007 08:43am
High School Game Fees and Assignment Fees Rick Vietti Softball 38 Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:48am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1