The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

1979 NCAA rules question

I was watching on youtube the 1979 NCAA National Semi Final between Penn and Michigan St and during the game(can't remember where) there was a situation where there were 2 free throws shot with no one in the spaces like a technical foul or flagrant 1 or 2 in today's game. and following the 2nd free throw there was a jump ball. What would have caused the free throws to be shot and then have the jump at center court in the 1979 NCAA Men's rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lwYCxHT5sg
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 01:48pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
I was watching on youtube the 1979 NCAA National Semi Final between Penn and Michigan St and during the game(can't remember where) there was a situation where there were 2 free throws shot with no one in the spaces like a technical foul or flagrant 1 or 2 in today's game. and following the 2nd free throw there was a jump ball. What would have caused the free throws to be shot and then have the jump at center court in the 1979 NCAA Men's rules

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lwYCxHT5sg

With out climbing into the attic, it was no doubt the second Foul of a FDF.

When I first posted my response it was the succinct answer to the question because I did not want to watch the whole game to give a more detailed answer, and then I realized that I had better give a more detailed answer (including the actual Rule) but still without watching the whole game, so I decided to climb up into the attic after all.

1978-79 was the year that the National Basketball Committee of the United States and Canada (NBC) morphed in the NFHS and NCAA Men's Committees, but the Rules (except for length of periods and OT Periods) including changes for the 1978-79 season were the same.

There was a Rule change that affected the administration of FDFs; a new Section was added to Rule 8 (Section 7), it was R8-S7 in both Codes. before I quote R8-S7, I need to give the Definition of a Double Foul (DF) back in the "Ancient Days" which was R4-S11-c and reads:

"A double foul is a situation in which 2 opponents commit personal fouls against each other at approximately the same time. A false double foul is a situation where there are fouls by both teams, the second of which before the clock is started following the first, but such that at at least one of the attributes of double foul is absent."

Let us now preceed to R8-S7 which reads :

"After the last free throw following a false double foul (R4-S11-c), the ball shall be put in play as if the penalty for the last foul of the false double foul were the only one administered, unless one of the fouls committed is a double foul, in which case the ball will be put in play with a center jump between any two opponents."

From the 1978-79 NFHS Casebook, Part One, Play 26 reads:

"Play: B1 and A1 foul each other at approximately the same time. B2 and B3 simultaneously foul A2. Ruling: A2 is awarded two free throws after which play is resumed with a center jump between any two opponents because one of the fouls is a double foul."

Without watching the game, I am surmising that the first Foul of the FDF was a DF between A1 and B1, followed by either an ITF or a FTF charged to someone associating with Team B, resulting two FTS being awarding to Team A (I choose Team B for the TF, just because, LOL!). The reason I am surmising that the TF was either Intentional or Flagrant is because at the time the penalty for a TF was one FTA unless the TF was either Intentional or Flagrant.

So endth the history lesson for the weekend.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sat Feb 10, 2018 at 02:46pm. Reason: Added everything in BLUE.
Old Sat Feb 10, 2018, 02:54pm
Official Forum Member

I was a wee 1st grader(7 years old) and enjoyed sports but wasn't into everything the way I was later. I saw this and was just curious due to the rule differences between then and now.