The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Game Fees (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103500-game-fees.html)

WhistleMeister Thu Feb 08, 2018 09:19pm

Game Fees

I am curious how different associations handle game fees. For example, our high school association has varying game fees based on school and game level. Are there other fee schedules in use? For example; pay by level of official regardless of level of game, or might a high level official who is conducting training in a freshman game receive additional pay.

We are having scheduling problems on lower level games where higher-level officials block themselves from these game times. I assume we are not the only one that experiences this problem. How have other associations dealt with this?
Thanks.

Raymond Thu Feb 08, 2018 09:21pm

Early games interfere with folks' 9-to-5 jobs. I think that affects lower level games more than game fees.

SNIPERBBB Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:23pm

Game fees are set by the home school or the conference here. If you don't like the fee, you don't work for that school. Most lower level games here are double headers, Junior high are almost always DH's though some JH girls are just one game,and freshman/jv boys games are DH's . Some girls JV and varsity are DH's if both schools have enough players for both and sometimes they just play a half of JV.

jas4yf Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:36pm

We have two pay schedules, one for Frosh or JV; one for Varsity.

Our unit covers two high school Sections. Each of the two pay different amounts but follow the same pattern of one rate for lower level games and one rate for Varsity games. All schools within a Section pay the same amount.

packersowner Thu Feb 08, 2018 11:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhistleMeister (Post 1016636)
I am curious how different associations handle game fees. For example, our high school association has varying game fees based on school and game level. Are there other fee schedules in use? For example; pay by level of official regardless of level of game, or might a high level official who is conducting training in a freshman game receive additional pay.

We are having scheduling problems on lower level games where higher-level officials block themselves from these game times. I assume we are not the only one that experiences this problem. How have other associations dealt with this?
Thanks.

Standard Varsity rate of X, JV/Subvarsity rate of Y, if you work two varsity games it’s 2x, if you work two JV games it’s 2y less about $10.

I should mention, thats our assignors rates, if you go outside the association it’s about the same, but generally mileage is added on. My experience is that our assignor will pay veteran guys the full rate for both subvarsity games because it’s generally doing him a favor.

sdoebler Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:51am

What are your game fees in Alaska?

Our game fees are decided by the states athletic association. There are 4 rates Varsity 2man, Varsity 3man, Sub-varsity 2man, and Sub-varsity 3man. The rates are uniform across the state.

bas2456 Fri Feb 09, 2018 04:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdoebler (Post 1016658)
What are your game fees in Alaska?

Our game fees are decided by the states athletic association. There are 4 rates Varsity 2man, Varsity 3man, Sub-varsity 2man, and Sub-varsity 3man. The rates are uniform across the state.

What sub-varsity games are you doing that are 3 man?

bas2456 Fri Feb 09, 2018 04:11pm

In my area, a single underlevel game pays $52. An underlevel doubleheader pays $91. Varsity pays $65. Doesn't matter boys or girls, or the level of the official.

sdoebler Fri Feb 09, 2018 05:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 1016700)

Crews get sent out for JV/Varisty Double headers. Since the varsity game requires three officials they just have the crew work both games so one person isn't sent out for a single game. Not overly common but happens for me about twice a season.

bas2456 Fri Feb 09, 2018 05:53pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by sdoebler (Post 1016707)
Crews get sent out for JV/Varisty Double headers. Since the varsity game requires three officials they just have the crew work both games so one person isn't sent out for a single game. Not overly common but happens for me about twice a season.

Gotcha. In my area, the JV teams are made up of varsity players who don't see a lot of time in the varsity game. Is that the same in your area?

sdoebler Fri Feb 09, 2018 05:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 1016708)
Gotcha. In my area, the JV teams are made up of varsity players who don't see a lot of time in the varsity game. Is that the same in your area?

I live in a very large city with large schools, but in the case you are asking about is when we are generally sent out to smaller schools in smaller towns. In that case yes there is generally a decent amount of crossover JV to Varsity.

mattmets Fri Feb 09, 2018 07:06pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 1016700)

My city with three large high schools works all 10th and JV in 3-man, with some 9th grade as schedules allow. It's the only way most of us can get 3-man experience before moving into a varsity schedule.

bas2456 Sat Feb 10, 2018 02:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattmets (Post 1016710)
My city with three large high schools works all 10th and JV in 3-man, with some 9th grade as schedules allow. It's the only way most of us can get 3-man experience before moving into a varsity schedule.

I wish assignors/schools in my area would allow us to do this as well. It's probably more on the schools, not wanting to pay more or whatever.

I work 90-95% of my schedule in sub-varsity 2-man. I'd love to be able to get more experience in 3 man and that would be a great way to get it.

mattmets Sat Feb 10, 2018 02:57pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by bas2456 (Post 1016750)
I wish assignors/schools in my area would allow us to do this as well. It's probably more on the schools, not wanting to pay more or whatever.

I work 90-95% of my schedule in sub-varsity 2-man. I'd love to be able to get more experience in 3 man and that would be a great way to get it.

We get $65/2 man and $55/3 man, so it costs the schools a little more but they also get a new group of potential Varsity officials for their coaches to meet. A lot of these sub-varsity games are better than smaller school varsity games, so it works for us on the court too to have more eyes on the game.