LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 12:41pm
Get away from me, Steve.

HS Brawl in Pittsburgh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p42CrNDHNws

5:20 is where it starts.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

A whole lotta "in your face" by players on both teams long before the fight erupts.

I looked up newspaper articles about the incident, but none added any pertinent information to the video. No WPIAL discipline issued--yet; no arrests--yet.

Last edited by LRZ; Thu Feb 08, 2018 at 01:28pm.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member

Even though White #10 was directly involved in the start of the fight, White #2 was trying to earn a technical foul for overt taunting at least three times prior to the fight from the short amount of video that is made available in that link.

Recognizing and penalizing that behavior would have been a great way to potentially minimize the odds of that fight occurring.

Then again, maybe not. But, fights usually have their roots in that type of behavior.

I don't envy the official that thought he could pull the two fighters off each other. He ended up on the bottom of a dog pile.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

see 4:08 in video

3, count em, 3 separate spectators coming off the front row of bleachers to stand, BOTH FEET) on the court and cheer well before he fight.. .

Last edited by rotationslim; Thu Feb 08, 2018 at 02:06pm.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Wow, a lot of cops there. Something was brewing.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 02:21pm
Courageous When Prudent

You have to recognize and address ALL taunting and unsporting conduct by players during a game. I have a reputation of being an a-hole towards problem players and even got in a little bit of trouble for how I addressed a situation. I've had quite a few players whine to their coaches about what the mean official said to them. But players learn quickly they aren't getting away with this juvenile nonsense when I'm in the game.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
You have to recognize and address ALL taunting and unsporting conduct by players during a game. I have a reputation of being an a-hole towards problem players and even got in a little bit of trouble for how I addressed a situation. I've had quite a few players whine to their coaches about what the mean official said to them. But players learn quickly they aren't getting away with this juvenile nonsense when I'm in the game.
Ah, now I know what "BNR" stood for.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member

Boy once you pull that up on YouTube you see a whole bunch of interesting videos.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 03:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Ah, now I know what "BNR" stood for.
College players get it even worse from me. I will tell them to their face "to grow up" or "quit being immature" or "you're college now, not high school anymore". You can tell which players were entitled and spoiled during their HS years.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 03:54pm
Often wrong never n doubt

Quote:
Even though White #10 was directly involved in the start of the fight, White #2 was trying to earn a technical foul for overt taunting at least three times prior to the fight from the short amount of video that is made available in that link.

Recognizing and penalizing that behavior would have been a great way to potentially minimize the odds of that fight occurring.

Then again, maybe not. But, fights usually have their roots in that type of behavior.

I don't envy the official that thought he could pull the two fighters off each other. He ended up on the bottom of a dog pile.
100% agree. It might not have prevented it but it would have been a nice start.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Look, if you're going to call out white #2, then black #2, who also was directly involved in the fight, was clapping in peoples faces from the get go. Deal with that stuff immediately. He appeared to be a problem the whole game.
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
Look, if you're going to call out white #2, then black #2, who also was directly involved in the fight, was clapping in peoples faces from the get go. Deal with that stuff immediately. He appeared to be a problem the whole game.
I agree.

Just didn't notice Black #2 doing what you said the first couple of times I watched it.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
College players get it even worse from me. I will tell them to their face "to grow up" or "quit being immature" or "you're college now, not high school anymore". You can tell which players were entitled and spoiled during their HS years.
I did the same thing. Games take on what you let go.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Man, if I can't stop the fight or separate players then I'm walking off the floor. It's the police's problem once people start coming on the court. Someone can come get me if they want to keep playing, lol.
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
Man, if I can't stop the fight or separate players then I'm walking off the floor. It's the police's problem once people start coming on the court. Someone can come get me if they want to keep playing, lol.
Walk off the court, but stay within sight of the court so you can take jersey colors/numbers for reporting purposes.