The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 12:41pm
Rich's Avatar
Get away from me, Steve.
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 15,437
HS Brawl in Pittsburgh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p42CrNDHNws

5:20 is where it starts.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 01:16pm
LRZ LRZ is offline
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: SE PA
Posts: 435
A whole lotta "in your face" by players on both teams long before the fight erupts.

I looked up newspaper articles about the incident, but none added any pertinent information to the video. No WPIAL discipline issued--yet; no arrests--yet.

Last edited by LRZ; Thu Feb 08, 2018 at 01:28pm.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 01:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A little east of there.
Posts: 591
Even though White #10 was directly involved in the start of the fight, White #2 was trying to earn a technical foul for overt taunting at least three times prior to the fight from the short amount of video that is made available in that link.

Recognizing and penalizing that behavior would have been a great way to potentially minimize the odds of that fight occurring.

Then again, maybe not. But, fights usually have their roots in that type of behavior.

I don't envy the official that thought he could pull the two fighters off each other. He ended up on the bottom of a dog pile.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 134
see 4:08 in video

3, count em, 3 separate spectators coming off the front row of bleachers to stand, BOTH FEET) on the court and cheer well before he fight.. .

Last edited by rotationslim; Thu Feb 08, 2018 at 02:06pm.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 659
Wow, a lot of cops there. Something was brewing.
__________________
If some rules are never enforced, then why do they exist?
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 02:21pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,797
You have to recognize and address ALL taunting and unsporting conduct by players during a game. I have a reputation of being an a-hole towards problem players and even got in a little bit of trouble for how I addressed a situation. I've had quite a few players whine to their coaches about what the mean official said to them. But players learn quickly they aren't getting away with this juvenile nonsense when I'm in the game.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A little east of there.
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
You have to recognize and address ALL taunting and unsporting conduct by players during a game. I have a reputation of being an a-hole towards problem players and even got in a little bit of trouble for how I addressed a situation. I've had quite a few players whine to their coaches about what the mean official said to them. But players learn quickly they aren't getting away with this juvenile nonsense when I'm in the game.
Ah, now I know what "BNR" stood for.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 03:03pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 49
Boy once you pull that up on YouTube you see a whole bunch of interesting videos.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 03:28pm
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 12,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Ah, now I know what "BNR" stood for.
College players get it even worse from me. I will tell them to their face "to grow up" or "quit being immature" or "you're college now, not high school anymore". You can tell which players were entitled and spoiled during their HS years.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 03:54pm
Often wrong never n doubt
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 716
Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Even though White #10 was directly involved in the start of the fight, White #2 was trying to earn a technical foul for overt taunting at least three times prior to the fight from the short amount of video that is made available in that link.

Recognizing and penalizing that behavior would have been a great way to potentially minimize the odds of that fight occurring.

Then again, maybe not. But, fights usually have their roots in that type of behavior.

I don't envy the official that thought he could pull the two fighters off each other. He ended up on the bottom of a dog pile.
100% agree. It might not have prevented it but it would have been a nice start.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 175
Quote:
Originally Posted by #olderthanilook View Post
Even though White #10 was directly involved in the start of the fight, White #2 was trying to earn a technical foul for overt taunting at least three times prior to the fight from the short amount of video that is made available in that link.

Recognizing and penalizing that behavior would have been a great way to potentially minimize the odds of that fight occurring.

Then again, maybe not. But, fights usually have their roots in that type of behavior.

I don't envy the official that thought he could pull the two fighters off each other. He ended up on the bottom of a dog pile.
Look, if you're going to call out white #2, then black #2, who also was directly involved in the fight, was clapping in peoples faces from the get go. Deal with that stuff immediately. He appeared to be a problem the whole game.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Thu Feb 08, 2018, 05:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A little east of there.
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
Look, if you're going to call out white #2, then black #2, who also was directly involved in the fight, was clapping in peoples faces from the get go. Deal with that stuff immediately. He appeared to be a problem the whole game.
I agree.

Just didn't notice Black #2 doing what you said the first couple of times I watched it.
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 07:40am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
College players get it even worse from me. I will tell them to their face "to grow up" or "quit being immature" or "you're college now, not high school anymore". You can tell which players were entitled and spoiled during their HS years.
I did the same thing. Games take on what you let go.
__________________
in OS I trust
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 09:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Virginia
Posts: 116
Man, if I can't stop the fight or separate players then I'm walking off the floor. It's the police's problem once people start coming on the court. Someone can come get me if they want to keep playing, lol.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Fri Feb 09, 2018, 10:27am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: A little east of there.
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef View Post
Man, if I can't stop the fight or separate players then I'm walking off the floor. It's the police's problem once people start coming on the court. Someone can come get me if they want to keep playing, lol.
Walk off the court, but stay within sight of the court so you can take jersey colors/numbers for reporting purposes.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Butler/Pittsburgh jimpiano Basketball 1 Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:50am
Xavier Pittsburgh fullor30 Basketball 11 Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:15pm
Pittsburgh/West Virginia last night fullor30 Basketball 1 Fri Feb 08, 2008 09:31am
Cubs-Pittsburgh tornado Baseball 4 Tue Apr 19, 2005 05:13pm
Pittsburgh v. Villanova--Wild Series tmp44 Baseball 3 Tue Apr 19, 2005 08:01am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:52pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1