The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   HS Brawl in Pittsburgh (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/103496-hs-brawl-pittsburgh.html)

Rich Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:41pm

HS Brawl in Pittsburgh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p42CrNDHNws

5:20 is where it starts.

LRZ Thu Feb 08, 2018 01:16pm

A whole lotta "in your face" by players on both teams long before the fight erupts.

I looked up newspaper articles about the incident, but none added any pertinent information to the video. No WPIAL discipline issued--yet; no arrests--yet.

#olderthanilook Thu Feb 08, 2018 01:22pm

Even though White #10 was directly involved in the start of the fight, White #2 was trying to earn a technical foul for overt taunting at least three times prior to the fight from the short amount of video that is made available in that link.

Recognizing and penalizing that behavior would have been a great way to potentially minimize the odds of that fight occurring.

Then again, maybe not. But, fights usually have their roots in that type of behavior.

I don't envy the official that thought he could pull the two fighters off each other. He ended up on the bottom of a dog pile.

rotationslim Thu Feb 08, 2018 01:54pm

see 4:08 in video

3, count em, 3 separate spectators coming off the front row of bleachers to stand, BOTH FEET) on the court and cheer well before he fight.. .

bucky Thu Feb 08, 2018 02:14pm

Wow, a lot of cops there. Something was brewing.

Raymond Thu Feb 08, 2018 02:21pm

You have to recognize and address ALL taunting and unsporting conduct by players during a game. I have a reputation of being an a-hole towards problem players and even got in a little bit of trouble for how I addressed a situation. I've had quite a few players whine to their coaches about what the mean official said to them. But players learn quickly they aren't getting away with this juvenile nonsense when I'm in the game.

#olderthanilook Thu Feb 08, 2018 02:35pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1016615)
You have to recognize and address ALL taunting and unsporting conduct by players during a game. I have a reputation of being an a-hole towards problem players and even got in a little bit of trouble for how I addressed a situation. I've had quite a few players whine to their coaches about what the mean official said to them. But players learn quickly they aren't getting away with this juvenile nonsense when I'm in the game.

Ah, now I know what "BNR" stood for.

nolanjj68 Thu Feb 08, 2018 03:03pm

Boy once you pull that up on YouTube you see a whole bunch of interesting videos.

Raymond Thu Feb 08, 2018 03:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 1016617)
Ah, now I know what "BNR" stood for.

College players get it even worse from me. I will tell them to their face "to grow up" or "quit being immature" or "you're college now, not high school anymore". You can tell which players were entitled and spoiled during their HS years.

jeremy341a Thu Feb 08, 2018 03:54pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 1016610)
Even though White #10 was directly involved in the start of the fight, White #2 was trying to earn a technical foul for overt taunting at least three times prior to the fight from the short amount of video that is made available in that link.

Recognizing and penalizing that behavior would have been a great way to potentially minimize the odds of that fight occurring.

Then again, maybe not. But, fights usually have their roots in that type of behavior.

I don't envy the official that thought he could pull the two fighters off each other. He ended up on the bottom of a dog pile.

100% agree. It might not have prevented it but it would have been a nice start.

Blindolbat Thu Feb 08, 2018 04:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by #olderthanilook (Post 1016610)

Look, if you're going to call out white #2, then black #2, who also was directly involved in the fight, was clapping in peoples faces from the get go. Deal with that stuff immediately. He appeared to be a problem the whole game.

#olderthanilook Thu Feb 08, 2018 05:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blindolbat (Post 1016624)
Look, if you're going to call out white #2, then black #2, who also was directly involved in the fight, was clapping in peoples faces from the get go. Deal with that stuff immediately. He appeared to be a problem the whole game.

I agree.

Just didn't notice Black #2 doing what you said the first couple of times I watched it.

deecee Fri Feb 09, 2018 07:40am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1016621)
College players get it even worse from me. I will tell them to their face "to grow up" or "quit being immature" or "you're college now, not high school anymore". You can tell which players were entitled and spoiled during their HS years.

I did the same thing. Games take on what you let go.

RedAndWhiteRef Fri Feb 09, 2018 09:39am

Man, if I can't stop the fight or separate players then I'm walking off the floor. It's the police's problem once people start coming on the court. Someone can come get me if they want to keep playing, lol.

#olderthanilook Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:27am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedAndWhiteRef (Post 1016653)
Man, if I can't stop the fight or separate players then I'm walking off the floor. It's the police's problem once people start coming on the court. Someone can come get me if they want to keep playing, lol.

Walk off the court, but stay within sight of the court so you can take jersey colors/numbers for reporting purposes.