The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

"And one!!!"

Am I just getting cranky as I get older? I don't know why but this is driving me crazy this year that kids seem to be yelling "and one!!" more and more when they think they're fouled on a drive. I about whacked a kid last night who kept yelling it from the bench. I've noticed it in the past, but it's never really bothered me. Now, every time I hear it, I want to tell them that their parents don't love them. I think I'm in need of a break from high school kids for a while or something.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Now, every time I hear it, I want to tell them that their parents don't love them.
You are cranky, but this made me laugh.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

This only bothers me if he's staring down the opponent while he does it (taunting) or clearly directs it at me.

A lot of times players just say it in a celebratory way even when they know there was no foul (and ooooooooonnnnnnnneeeeee!!!).
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
This only bothers me if he's staring down the opponent while he does it (taunting) or clearly directs it at me.

A lot of times players just say it in a celebratory way even when they know there was no foul (and ooooooooonnnnnnnneeeeee!!!).
heck, I hear it when there's not even any contact or before the shot!
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Am I just getting cranky as I get older? I don't know why but this is driving me crazy this year that kids seem to be yelling "and one!!" more and more when they think they're fouled on a drive. I about whacked a kid last night who kept yelling it from the bench. I've noticed it in the past, but it's never really bothered me. Now, every time I hear it, I want to tell them that their parents don't love them. I think I'm in need of a break from high school kids for a while or something.
Your not getting cranky, I get tired of hearing it too.
But I do love to say, (when they miss) it's only an and1, if he makes it!
It kinda breaks tension, or that you can also have some fun.
I've had players laugh and say, "yeah, your right"
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

“And One”
And
“Ball don’t Lie” is the one that is getting under my skin, because it could be interpreted that the official was “lying”.

I honestly believe that most kids are NOT directing this at officials. Saying this has become like a bad twitch.

I still play pickup hoops, my kids are playing hoops and like many of you, enjoy watching younger people play pickup (no officials).
I have noticed that these two lines are more directed at their opponent in an effort to: discourage contact before it happens, tell
their opponent they just got fouled, compliment a half decent drive to the basket or draw attention to themselves.

All of the above are wrong, but part of pick up hoops language. Notice that most girls do not say this, because pick up isn’t played by girls as often.

Not sure this is a battle NFHS will fight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyes View Post
Not sure this is a battle NFHS will fight?
Hope not, because I don't like absolutes.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post

Agree, a lot has to do with tone.

I've told told kids to quit with the "and 1" - they usually figure it out pretty quickly.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

I gave a bench warning for this last week and was about to T a player up after a made basket but his coach immediately chastised the kid and got him under control so I let it go. It was not a problem the rest of the game.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Our state (I think it was local and not national) issued a memo to coaches and players stating that talking to officials about the foul count was not appropriate conversation and would warrant a warning or technical if continued.

I could see something going out stating that shouting "And One" or "Ball don't lie" could follow a line of warning and/or technical but you never know what they will choose to focus on.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

I've never heard "ball don't lie." What does that mean?
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdoebler View Post
Our state (I think it was local and not national) issued a memo to coaches and players stating that talking to officials about the foul count was not appropriate conversation and would warrant a warning or technical if continued.

I could see something going out stating that shouting "And One" or "Ball don't lie" could follow a line of warning and/or technical but you never know what they will choose to focus on.
This is why I hate absolutes.

When a coach and I are just having a conversation that only the two of us can hear, he's not going to get a warning or a T from me for mentioning the foul count. I might redirect the conversation or walk away depending on how receptive he is, but if you warn or whack coaches every time in that instance, you probably won't be around long.

Coach is screaming "IT'S 7 TO 1!!!" across the court...different story, but even I'd be inclined to try and get him back to coaching before giving a warning, especially if that's his first issue of the night.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kH0-QR9IzM4

Players/coaches/fanboys yell it mostly when a free throw is missed following a foul call that they felt was wrong.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
See SC Official #13.

This has been around for at least 30 plus years in playground games and with all the microphones and cameras at games now, we can now clearly hear NBA players saying it. And of course, whatever we see and hear at the NBA level, we'll see and hear from kids that don't play on playgrounds and will never play in the NBA.
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeyes View Post
“Ball don’t Lie” is the one that is getting under my skin, because it could be interpreted that the official was “lying”.
My response to this is always "Ball don't talk either". Usually gets a smile or a nod.