Thread: "And one!!!"
View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 30, 2018, 10:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Am I just getting cranky as I get older? I don't know why but this is driving me crazy this year that kids seem to be yelling "and one!!" more and more when they think they're fouled on a drive. I about whacked a kid last night who kept yelling it from the bench. I've noticed it in the past, but it's never really bothered me. Now, every time I hear it, I want to tell them that their parents don't love them. I think I'm in need of a break from high school kids for a while or something.

“And One”
And
“Ball don’t Lie” is the one that is getting under my skin, because it could be interpreted that the official was “lying”.

I honestly believe that most kids are NOT directing this at officials. Saying this has become like a bad twitch.

I still play pickup hoops, my kids are playing hoops and like many of you, enjoy watching younger people play pickup (no officials).
I have noticed that these two lines are more directed at their opponent in an effort to: discourage contact before it happens, tell
their opponent they just got fouled, compliment a half decent drive to the basket or draw attention to themselves.

All of the above are wrong, but part of pick up hoops language. Notice that most girls do not say this, because pick up isn’t played by girls as often.

Not sure this is a battle NFHS will fight?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk