Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
"I'm putting it in play, wrap this up."

Then put it in play.
100%!!! After about a minute. One hard blow of the whistle and put it back in play.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 09:46am
Official Forum Member

Here are my thoughts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelrider View Post
Then we have a foul on blue and as we rotate he begins to clap his hands very condescendingly and very loudly in a quiet gym
WHACK. Coach: "For what?" Me: "Unsporting behavior."
End of conversations with him for the rest of the night.

My partner then tells him that we do not need that in this game. He then gives a very quiet official warning. The coach does not like the statement from him and starts to argue with him by saying things like "what am I doing, I did not do anything I am just clapping my hands." As they are having this conversation he decides he is going to pull out his phone and begin recording him and everything he is saying to him.
WHACK. GET OUT.

He and the AC both get up out of their seats and start making comments like wow, really, that's ridiculous

WARNING TO HC FOR HIS OWN BEHAVIOR, TELLING HIM TO TAKE CARE OF HIS AC AS WELL.

He starts making statements to my partner like why am I always targeted by you guys
WHACK. Nope. You don't get to call my credibility and honesty into question.
we are always treated unfairly and not given the calls we should get, I just want you guys to to call the game by the book exactly how it is written in the book and administer the Technical fouls and everything else by the book, we are mistreated every single game, is it my face,I am going to beat this team by 70 points, is it the way I dress
WALKING AWAY AND ENDING THE CONVERSATION HERE IF THIS WERE THE FIRST THING HE SAID ALL NIGHT. AS IT STANDS, I'M PROBABLY WHACKING HIM AGAIN AT THIS POINT. HE WON'T GET ANOTHER WORD FROM ME THE REST OF THE NIGHT? So they discuss this for 13 minutes all the while the opposing team is getting frustrated and comes over and says can we play the game now? My partner ignores her and continues his conversation with the coach. I had gone over multiple times to break up the conversation saying we have a game going on and we need to continue this game, I was ignored as well. Meanwhile I am talking to my supervisor about this conversation and he says tonight he is just a bystander and cannot do anything about it. Then the AD comes over and finally stops the conversation after my partner explained to him several times this games is this game and has nothing to do with other games and you can talk to the officials at the appropriate time. He then gets so fed up with it he sits on the bench and covers his ears with his hands . I then pointed out to the AD who had asked us earlier about how he can help diffuse these situations and what he needs to tell the coach that this is the exact kind of "childish behavior we deal with night and night out with him and why we have a hard time with him." This finally ends and we move on and not another peep was heard from the HC the rest of the night.

Thoughts?!?!?!?
You guys let him get away with WAY too much.

I would've had a very frank conversation with my partner at half time. There is NO reason for him to engage a coach for that long. There is NO reason for him to ignore you.

This video would go straight to my supervisor, cc'ed to the state office with a short sentence about how I am requesting to never be put on that coach's games or to work with that partner.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 09:50am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
Here are my thoughts.

You guys let him get away with WAY too much.

I would've had a very frank conversation with my partner at half time. There is NO reason for him to engage a coach for that long. There is NO reason for him to ignore you.

This video would go straight to my supervisor, cc'ed to the state office with a short sentence about how I am requesting to never be put on that coach's games or to work with that partner.

Then you risk become "that guy" at the state office and maybe even your assigner. You have enough juice to avoid that with either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Then you risk become "that guy" at the state office and maybe even your assigner. You have enough juice to avoid that with either?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Agreed. However, there are no number of assignments in the world that would keep me officiating if I have to deal with that crap. This is a fun hobby for me. I don't need it, so if they stopped putting me on games because of that, so be it. Hopefully the supervisor would understand why I wouldn't want to work with this guy.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 09:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Agreed. However, there are no number of assignments in the world that would keep me officiating if I have to deal with that crap. This is a fun hobby for me. I don't need it, so if they stopped putting me on games because of that, so be it. Hopefully the supervisor would understand why I wouldn't want to work with this guy.

I was thinking moreso the state office.

Once you end up on their bad list, it's hard to get off. Or so it seems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was thinking moreso the state office.

Once you end up on their bad list, it's hard to get off. Or so it seems.

Ahh.... Sorry I wasn't clear on that. Our state office doesn't assign anything so it would be pointless to tell them I don't want that school or partner again. The video and note about that school and partner would go to the assignor. I'm just sending the video to the state office along with my ejection paperwork. Sorry I was a bit ambiguous on that.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Does Iowa have a state reporting system for technicals and other special reports? I know in some states, every technical has to reported to the state.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 10:00am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Ahh.... Sorry I wasn't clear on that. Our state office doesn't assign anything so it would be pointless to tell them I don't want that school or partner again. The video and note about that school and partner would go to the assignor. I'm just sending the video to the state office along with my ejection paperwork. Sorry I was a bit ambiguous on that.

Not even parts of the postseaason?

Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

Negative, only ejections are reported.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not even parts of the postseaason?

Iowa has a weird set up. We have two separate unions, one for the girls and one for the boys.

On the girls side, the people that are in charge are not the ones who assign post season basketball. We have a (can't remember the exact term) director of girls basketball whose only job is to coordinate evaluators and assign the post season. He also assigns for the north/northeast portion of the state. That is his only administrative duty, so he wouldn't see the video that I sent to the state.

On the boys side, the offices is set up in a more (what I imagine to be) traditional way. They oversee all sports and assign post season. So the director of basketball would be the one I'd send that to, and he's also the one who assigns postseason. In that sense, what you're asking about is possible.

Like I said, I know this sounds douchey and I don't mean it to but if I were treated like that by a coach, partner, and AD who did nothing to help, I'd have no problem giving up the post season to not have that headache. This situation seemed like the perfect storm of officials not having the gall to just TCOB, a ridiculous coach, and an inept AD. I can't imagine that sort of thing happening around here where we are pretty fortunate to have quality officials, good administrators, and coaches who behave pretty well.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 10:15am
Get away from me, Steve.

If I was the other coach, I'd probably be telling the crew that "we're going to the locker room. Come get us when you're ready."

I know I wouldn't sit quietly.

A varsity head coach sitting on a JV bench has a higher than likely chance of being a GFU.

Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Wow!
What a waste of time for everyone in the gym!
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

My Assigner just laughed it off, said that I need to have my partners back no matter what. My partner and I did not talk after the game. I did not care to. He is known to not listen to others no matter what they say.
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 02:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuelrider View Post
My Assigner just laughed it off, said that I need to have my partners back no matter what. My partner and I did not talk after the game. I did not care to. He is known to not listen to others no matter what they say.
If using an assigning system like the arbiter; block that official and the team and enjoy the rest of your career!
Old Thu Jan 25, 2018, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Your assigner sounds like a genius, too. It's not funny. If everyone in your association cowers to any coach, but particularly the coach who beats the crap out of other teams by 70, it sends a bad message to everyone else.