The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

Two kinds of hotshot crews- which do you prefer

In my experience there are two kinds of hotshot crews (High School) . Both are capable of calling excellent, fair games, I am not implying one is better than another, but I clearly have a favorite style.

Crew One: Shows up individually dressed very business-like pulling their rolling case behind them. They move through the gym while JV game is going on, confident, smooth. Not overly warm to any fans or administrators, but not standoffish. They emerge from the coach's office at the end of the gym together with impeccable pressed uniforms. They tend to call a stilted game with robotic precision. Capable in every describable way.

Crew two: often former GOOD ball players, often from urban areas (around here at least) They get there a little early, sit on front row of visitors side, eating a dinner of hot dogs from the concession stands.. followed by popcorn. They seem to know every other person walking past them as they sit in the stands. They talk, laugh out loud, tell stories to each other, thoroughly enjoy spectating the JV game. JV game over pick up their backpacks and hustle into the office.. get dressed. Their uniforms are nice, older style, showing a bit of tatter. From the pregame conference they dont stand on precise mechanics-- even slouch a bit when not in action.. but have the game firmly in hand. They have a deep understanding of the game, dont call unnecessary fouls, where no advantage is gained.

And this may be controversial, but when I am watching I much prefer crew two. (my son plays at a high level, so I actually attend more games as a fan than I officiate). Note, I have no problem with crew one, they call a fair, good game, but in my experience crew two brings out more of a purely enjoyable athletic contest.

(asbestos underwear emoji here)
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

What..... in the world.....??
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 03:03pm
Courageous When Prudent

Oh, so those are the only 2 choices?
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 03:09pm
Official Forum Member

No, but where I am the best crews that I see tend to mirror one of those two stereotypes. There are plenty of B level crews.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

That was a lot of words to say nothing. Didn't take up enough time to get me to my next meeting, unfortunately...yawn.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Wtf????????????????
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotationslim View Post
In my experience there are two kinds of hotshot crews (High School) . Both are capable of calling excellent, fair games, I am not implying one is better than another, but I clearly have a favorite style.

Crew One: Shows up individually dressed very business-like pulling their rolling case behind them. They move through the gym while JV game is going on, confident, smooth. Not overly warm to any fans or administrators, but not standoffish. They emerge from the coach's office at the end of the gym together with impeccable pressed uniforms. They tend to call a stilted game with robotic precision. Capable in every describable way.

Crew two: often former GOOD ball players, often from urban areas (around here at least) They get there a little early, sit on front row of visitors side, eating a dinner of hot dogs from the concession stands.. followed by popcorn. They seem to know every other person walking past them as they sit in the stands. They talk, laugh out loud, tell stories to each other, thoroughly enjoy spectating the JV game. JV game over pick up their backpacks and hustle into the office.. get dressed. Their uniforms are nice, older style, showing a bit of tatter. From the pregame conference they dont stand on precise mechanics-- even slouch a bit when not in action.. but have the game firmly in hand. They have a deep understanding of the game, dont call unnecessary fouls, where no advantage is gained.

And this may be controversial, but when I am watching I much prefer crew two. (my son plays at a high level, so I actually attend more games as a fan than I officiate). Note, I have no problem with crew one, they call a fair, good game, but in my experience crew two brings out more of a purely enjoyable athletic contest.

(asbestos underwear emoji here)
Where I am from, most of the good crews are a mix of both options you presented. Most closely resembling crew 1.

For me, I prefer to be a part of and see crew 1 coming in the door if I am watching a game.

I can't believe I am wasting my time responding to this nonsense. I'm so bored!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

You best have asbestos underwear for the flaming you are about to receive...what a waste of space.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Administrators.......Hello????

Of all the threads for you to shut down....where are you guys now. This is just strange
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 07:29pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know that I have ever seen crew 2. Usually officials that carry themselves that way are missing a lot of what it takes to be a good official.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

If you’re looking to get on one, this is not a good start.
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 11:10pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'm guessing the OP thinks former "high level players" just make better officials.

Most here are right. Just a dumb thread.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2018, 12:06pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm guessing the OP thinks former "high level players" just make better officials.
He might as well have just said that. Would have saved a lot of words.

OP, I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.
Old Wed Jan 10, 2018, 12:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Tldr