View Single Post
Old Tue Jan 09, 2018, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotationslim View Post
In my experience there are two kinds of hotshot crews (High School) . Both are capable of calling excellent, fair games, I am not implying one is better than another, but I clearly have a favorite style.

Crew One: Shows up individually dressed very business-like pulling their rolling case behind them. They move through the gym while JV game is going on, confident, smooth. Not overly warm to any fans or administrators, but not standoffish. They emerge from the coach's office at the end of the gym together with impeccable pressed uniforms. They tend to call a stilted game with robotic precision. Capable in every describable way.

Crew two: often former GOOD ball players, often from urban areas (around here at least) They get there a little early, sit on front row of visitors side, eating a dinner of hot dogs from the concession stands.. followed by popcorn. They seem to know every other person walking past them as they sit in the stands. They talk, laugh out loud, tell stories to each other, thoroughly enjoy spectating the JV game. JV game over pick up their backpacks and hustle into the office.. get dressed. Their uniforms are nice, older style, showing a bit of tatter. From the pregame conference they dont stand on precise mechanics-- even slouch a bit when not in action.. but have the game firmly in hand. They have a deep understanding of the game, dont call unnecessary fouls, where no advantage is gained.

And this may be controversial, but when I am watching I much prefer crew two. (my son plays at a high level, so I actually attend more games as a fan than I officiate). Note, I have no problem with crew one, they call a fair, good game, but in my experience crew two brings out more of a purely enjoyable athletic contest.

(asbestos underwear emoji here)
Where I am from, most of the good crews are a mix of both options you presented. Most closely resembling crew 1.

For me, I prefer to be a part of and see crew 1 coming in the door if I am watching a game.

I can't believe I am wasting my time responding to this nonsense. I'm so bored!!!!!!!!!!!!