The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 05, 2018, 05:36pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD Referee View Post
To face the end of the gym and crowd, and not even act like you are looking at the other players, or looking at a coach, or looking at something on the court related to the game is absurd. What a d-bag move. I don't care how good he thinks he is or how good his reputation is. That was an a-hole move. The player was trying to talk to him respectfully and he pulled that move. Talk about making the game and moment about you while looking to be noticed. If one of my partners did that, I would call them out on it.
How do you know if the player was respectful?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Fri Jan 05, 2018, 05:38pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I hope that Valentine receives a lengthy suspension.
You are funny.

Old Fri Jan 05, 2018, 05:49pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
Ted could spray an entire arena with elephant repellant, and his groupies would find justification when no elephants show up for the game.
Why does he keep getting big games from multiple supervisors?

Old Fri Jan 05, 2018, 06:33pm
Official Forum Member

Because he’s a good play caller.

Doesn’t justify his unnecessary antics.

Last edited by Jesse James; Fri Jan 05, 2018 at 07:09pm.
Old Fri Jan 05, 2018, 11:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Why does he keep getting big games from multiple supervisors?

Cause everyone *in the game* wants him there.

Always funny seeing fans and HS refs think their opinions mean anything.

I'd kill for Ted's longevity and career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old Sat Jan 06, 2018, 09:53am
Official & Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes33 View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNlUoIXq8RQ

I don't agree with how he handled the situation.

We don't want players showing us up and we shouldn't be showing them up either!
I'm kinda late to this discussion...but wow, this is just a BAD look regardless of circumstances leading up to it OR Teddy's status as a top NCAA official IMO. I'd love to know what kind of feedback he got from his assigner.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2018, 11:28am
Get away from me, Steve.

TV Teddy Video and comments?

He might lose a game or two in that conference and will quickly fill those spots elsewhere.

Probably trying to avoid a technical foul and he would've been better off just letting the kid talk and whacking him.

Teddy's been at the top as long as I can remember. I remember watching the Bobby Knight incident live as it happened -- that was 20 years ago.

He'll be just fine and someday there'll be another thread like this. Shrug.

Old Sat Jan 06, 2018, 11:58am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
Because he’s a good play caller.

Doesn’t justify his unnecessary antics.
Did it ever occur to you that they do not care about his so-called "antics?" This is something officials that struggle working a big game in their area like to complain about. But wonder why certain guys get games over them and claim there is some level of "professionalism" that seems to be maintained. I have been officiating for a long time and I have seen officials at all levels do all kinds of things that would be seen as "unprofessional" but it works and does not hurt their schedules.

Peace
Old Sat Jan 06, 2018, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

I think there's a difference that some of us on here refuse to acknowledge.

No, it will not hurt him professionally and he will fill his dates even if he loses games. He doesn't care what people think and obviously his supervisors don't either, and they're the ones that matter.

Yes, it was unnecessary and makes the officiating profession look bad.

It can be both things, and I feel like both are true. Media, fans, etc don't need any more ammo than they already have, and things like this give them that ammo.
Old Sat Jan 06, 2018, 03:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post

Yes, it was unnecessary and makes the officiating profession look bad.

It can be both things, and I feel like both are true. Media, fans, etc don't need any more ammo than they already have, and things like this give them that ammo.
If we are using the media and fans as a barometer of what makes us look bad, we "look bad" when we simply T up a player. Jay Bilas goes on and on about calls that he thinks are not good and says that officials do certain things they should not do. Rarely does he ever put things on the coaches or the administrators that actually make the rules or even the administrators that want things to be a certain way. We do not need this incident to make anything change in the perception. This is ultimately about Teddy and what he did. And still, the problem is that the media thinks that because of the kid's resume' we are supposed to feel a certain way about a player, but not the resume' or even the background of the official. All you have to do is watch SportsCenter every day and see a highlight package and every call is scrutinized as if the officials are idiots or do not know what their job is, so I just laugh when people point to things like this as if perception has changed or will change.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 07, 2018, 11:28am
Official Forum Member

"I'm thinking about retiring," Valentine said. "I've had enough of people blowing up stuff. I think I've had a stellar career, and I think it's time to get ready to walk away."
Old Sun Jan 07, 2018, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwking View Post
"I'm thinking about retiring," Valentine said. "I've had enough of people blowing up stuff. I think I've had a stellar career, and I think it's time to get ready to walk away."
As good as he is, he's done some silly stuff. This wasn't blown up, he did it. He'll recover because he is good, but that doesn't mean what he did was acceptable.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2018, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
He might lose a game or two in that conference and will quickly fill those spots elsewhere.

Probably trying to avoid a technical foul and he would've been better off just letting the kid talk and whacking him.

No real way to know what he was "trying to avoid"... However, I have never seen an official at this way. None of us would want a player or coach to act this way with us and we certainly wouldn't encourage any official on any level to behave this way.

He was wrong!
Old Sun Jan 07, 2018, 10:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
If we are using the media and fans as a barometer of what makes us look bad, we "look bad" when we simply T up a player. Jay Bilas goes on and on about calls that he thinks are not good and says that officials do certain things they should not do. Rarely does he ever put things on the coaches or the administrators that actually make the rules or even the administrators that want things to be a certain way. We do not need this incident to make anything change in the perception. This is ultimately about Teddy and what he did. And still, the problem is that the media thinks that because of the kid's resume' we are supposed to feel a certain way about a player, but not the resume' or even the background of the official. All you have to do is watch SportsCenter every day and see a highlight package and every call is scrutinized as if the officials are idiots or do not know what their job is, so I just laugh when people point to things like this as if perception has changed or will change.

Peace
We are held to a higher standard than the players... The players are held to a higher standard than the average kid in the history or Algebra class etc.

This behavior is just wrong.
Old Sun Jan 07, 2018, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwking View Post
Teddy might be better served to admit he could have handled this situation a little differently and move on...
There is nothing basketball-related/officiating-related he can say that will provide a good defense for this behavior.