The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Team Control Foul

Scenario: A1 is on a breakaway with A2 and defender B1 in close proximity. As A1 is in the 'try' for basket (with the ball in A1's hand) A2 makes illegal contact with B1 to cause a TC foul. Partner blew the whistle and allowed the try to continue and counted the goal and then administered the TC foul on A2. Team B was then given the ball OOB for a throw-in. If this was correct (I have my doubts) then I assume of course if the ball was 'released' and then the TC foul occurred then the shot would count as well?

Comments/rule references are welcome?

Thank you !
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd41flpk View Post
Scenario: A1 is on a breakaway with A2 and defender B1 in close proximity. As A1 is in the 'try' for basket (with the ball in A1's hand) A2 makes illegal contact with B1 to cause a TC foul. Partner blew the whistle and allowed the try to continue and counted the goal and then administered the TC foul on A2. Team B was then given the ball OOB for a throw-in. If this was correct (I have my doubts) then I assume of course if the ball was 'released' and then the TC foul occurred then the shot would count as well?

Thank you !
Oops. Your doubts are justified. The part in blue would be correct, otherwise, wave the basket similar as you would for a player control foul.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

As described, this is not correct.

If the ball was still in A1's hands, then the try is cancelled. Award B the ball OOB at the spot nearest the foul.

If the ball had been released on the try, then the try counts. If it is successful and B is NOT in the bonus, B can run the end-line. IF the try is not successful and B is NOT in the bonus, the B gets a spot throw-in. If B is in the bonus, B shoots FTs, whether or not the try was successful.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member

Team Control Foul

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
As described, this is not correct.

If the ball was still in A1's hands, then the try is cancelled. Award B the ball OOB at the spot nearest the foul.

If the ball had been released on the try, then the try counts. If it is successful and B is NOT in the bonus, B can run the end-line. IF the try is not successful and B is NOT in the bonus, the B gets a spot throw-in. If B is in the bonus, B shoots FTs, whether or not the try was successful.
Thank you...makes sense as I should have mentioned that on the 2nd scenario ( ball leaves the hand of A1 ) there is no longer TC as the ball is now in the air and the TC scenario applies. Safe to say that on a TC foul, the ball is 'dead' on the whistle?
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thank you !
Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Oops. Your doubts are justified. The part in blue would be correct, otherwise, wave the basket similar as you would for a player control foul.
Almost. If the ball was released, it wouldn't be a TC foul since there is no team control after the ball is released. The distinction is important since B1 would shoot FTs if in the bonus when the foul is after the release.
Old Tue Jan 02, 2018, 02:13pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Thank you !
If it's a TC foul, you don't count the basket.

If it is after the release, then there is no longer TC, and merited free throws would be shot regardless of the success of the original try.