The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
That would apply if the screener had moved into the path of the defender. The screener did not move into the path of the defender. The screener simply stopped. So I'm guessing if the Tenn #21 had the ball on this play, you would have called a PC foul when she stopped and the defender crashed into her.
Why? Players are entitled to a spot on the floor and if they get their first it's theirs adding no other rule had been broken in the process.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 05:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Why? Players are entitled to a spot on the floor and if they get their first it's theirs adding no other rule had been broken in the process.

You apparently are not paying attention to the conversation if you think I'm advocating calling a foul on the player who stopped.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
You apparently are not paying attention to the conversation if you think I'm advocating calling a foul on the player who stopped.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Sorry I'm confused who I am replying to.

Old Mon Dec 18, 2017, 05:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Not the same thing at all. If the contact is on the torso of the player with the wide stance, the stance doesn't change anything. In this case if the screener is vertical it totally changes when the contact occurs, plus it adds the weight of the screener to the force of the collision, even if the screener didn't embellish the contact a bit, which I think she did.

Maybe a slight bit, but irrelevant. And so what. Neither of those have anything to do with the rules.

Was the screener in the path soon enough to allow the defender time to avoid contact. Yes....the defender took 3 steps into the contact. The screener was moving, but was already in the path and was moving away....which is legal. The screener just stopped moving...no rule against that.

The problem here is that the defender was running without looking where she was going. The screener did absolutely nothing wrong.

And the video just does not support your claim of embellishment. She may have braced for contact, but didn't embellish at all, not even close.
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 05:09am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
And the video just does not support your claim of embellishment. She may have braced for contact, but didn't embellish at all, not even close.

I agree that it is impossible to tell for sure from the video whether it happened or not. I base my opinion on the way the defender goes flying through the air after the contact. It just seems like too much to have been caused by her own momentum without a little added oomph from the larger player. She saw the screener before contact. You can see the reaction on her face.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 19, 2017, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I agree that it is impossible to tell for sure from the video whether it happened or not. I base my opinion on the way the defender goes flying through the air after the contact. It just seems like too much to have been caused by her own momentum without a little added oomph from the larger player. She saw the screener before contact. You can see the reaction on her face.
I hope you don't normally call fouls based on how the allegedly fouled player reacts. All you have to do is watch her butt relative to the background. It NEVER moves back towards the right at all. She braces for the impact by stopping and planting her feet.

For that matter, seeing it again, the player being screened sees it coming and leans into it with her shoulder rather than pulling up and avoiding it. It "could" be a foul on her.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2017, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I've got a lot of respect for the rules knowledge of the people on this thread who have disagreed with me so I would have a rookie take their word. I don't think it's beneficial for me to keep stating my case, so I'll just say this and move on. In real time, if I'm calling that game, I'm going the other way. I don't think my assignor would have a problem defending that call. I've watched it 10 times, and every time it looks to me like she purposely sticks her rear end ever so slightly into the defender. As I said before, this is a garbage play 80 feet from the basket. She needs to clean it up, there was no reason for that in my opinion and I'm going to help her clean it up if I'm calling that game because on top of being (IMO) illegal, it's a bs screen that was only set so that she could put somebody on their back end. I don't mean to turn this into a debate and I've made my position clear so I won't continue to beat a dead horse after this post.
Just so you aren't alone, I tend to agree with you. This is a bogus play and I don't think anyone would have a serious problem if it was called.
Old Thu Dec 21, 2017, 01:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Just so you aren't alone, I tend to agree with you. This is a bogus play and I don't think anyone would have a serious problem if it was called.
If we are talking about the play where the back was hit, yes I would have a problem if there was a foul call when the screener did nothing wrong. So speak for your position, not what everyone would think. I am not penalizing a big player because a player ran into them and they were not at all illegal in their positioning.

Peace