The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 10:44am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 93
NBA playoffs illegal screens

How many illegal screens are not called in the playoffs? I'd guess over 50 at least probably a lot more.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 12:09pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: 3 hrs east of the western time zone
Posts: 879
No more than three a game......they do a great job of finding the ball relative to the screen, time and score, fouls on screener, etc. Some of you might not like those factors but that is the NBA.....
__________________
Go ugly early, avoid the rush !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 270
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
No more than three a game......they do a great job of finding the ball relative to the screen, time and score, fouls on screener, etc. Some of you might not like those factors but that is the NBA.....
I don't watch the NBA to see the officials. I may occasionally notice how they move relative to their "spot" on the floor to see the action but the NBA is not even close to being the same game I call. Additionally, the way the powers that be want that game officiated, when compared to how my assignor wants games at my level officiated, are so far apart they are not even in the same galaxy.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri May 22, 2015, 11:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 1,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
...compared to how my assignor wants games at my level officiated, are so far apart they are not even in the same galaxy.
i would venture to say that the player's skill is not in the same galaxy either...I have officiated some of these guys. They are bigger, faster, stronger... They can play through things... The league has some very good videos on their website about Ilegal screens.

When you look at illegal screens, I believe this is one of the areas that requires the most judgment on the floor. What advantage or disadvantage was caused, was the official officiating the defense... Etc. When I officiate I look at screens as legal, marginal, or illegal. The ones you have to pay attention to the most are the marginal ones. The marginal ones are the ones that are not completely legal but don't cause one player or another to get an advantage or be placed at a disadvantage. My bet the 50 or so illegal screens you see would fall into my marginal category. I call as many or more illegal screens as anyone but I also can articulate to a coach why I let the ones go I do...

If there really are 50 illegal screens that's a lot of whistles... And delays...even in a high school game we don't call every foul or violation.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Sat May 23, 2015, 02:26am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: In the offseason.
Posts: 12,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
i would venture to say that the player's skill is not in the same galaxy either...I have officiated some of these guys. They are bigger, faster, stronger... They can play through things... The league has some very good videos on their website about Ilegal screens.

When you look at illegal screens, I believe this is one of the areas that requires the most judgment on the floor. What advantage or disadvantage was caused, was the official officiating the defense... Etc. When I officiate I look at screens as legal, marginal, or illegal. The ones you have to pay attention to the most are the marginal ones. The marginal ones are the ones that are not completely legal but don't cause one player or another to get an advantage or be placed at a disadvantage. My bet the 50 or so illegal screens you see would fall into my marginal category. I call as many or more illegal screens as anyone but I also can articulate to a coach why I let the ones go I do...

If there really are 50 illegal screens that's a lot of whistles... And delays...even in a high school game we don't call every foul or violation.
Just to play DA a bit....

It is all too easy to delcare much contact as "marginal" as a way to avoid making a call when said contact really might not be so marginal as some officials would have you believe. This is certainly evidenced by the fact the the NCAA and NFHS have both finally resorted to absolutes on some times of plays after year and year of points of emphasis on the topic that got exactly nothing changed.
__________________
Owner/Developer of RefTown.com
Commissioner, Portland Basketball Officials Association
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Sat May 23, 2015, 05:30am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 14,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
No more than three a game......they do a great job of finding the ball relative to the screen, time and score, fouls on screener, etc. Some of you might not like those factors but that is the NBA.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
i would venture to say that the player's skill is not in the same galaxy either...I have officiated some of these guys. They are bigger, faster, stronger... They can play through things... The league has some very good videos on their website about Ilegal screens.

When you look at illegal screens, I believe this is one of the areas that requires the most judgment on the floor. What advantage or disadvantage was caused, was the official officiating the defense... Etc. When I officiate I look at screens as legal, marginal, or illegal. The ones you have to pay attention to the most are the marginal ones. The marginal ones are the ones that are not completely legal but don't cause one player or another to get an advantage or be placed at a disadvantage. My bet the 50 or so illegal screens you see would fall into my marginal category. I call as many or more illegal screens as anyone but I also can articulate to a coach why I let the ones go I do...

If there really are 50 illegal screens that's a lot of whistles... And delays...even in a high school game we don't call every foul or violation.
These two posts illustrate the problem with how the NBA game is called--there aren't any clearly-delineated standards. What exactly is a foul or a travel changes for each game, for each quarter, and perhaps for each play (some would claim based upon which players are involved). All of the factors listed by these posters should have no impact on the decision. Why would the time left in the game matter? Why is the score relevant to contact? Why is a screen away from the ball different from one near it?

Contact or footwork is either legal or illegal. All of those other factors are just excuses for not calling the plays properly.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sat May 23, 2015, 09:14am
Courageous When Prudent
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
Posts: 14,626
Ummmm, who in here determines if NBA refs are calling it properly? Is someone here privy to their correspondence and individual feedback?

The NBA doesn't answer to anyone in here, so to whom exactly are they making excuses?

Some folks just can't fathom that their individual opinion is just that, their individual opinion.
__________________
A-hole formerly known as BNR
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Sat May 23, 2015, 10:25am
Stubborn Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 1,517
Chances are the best players you will officiate won't make it to the NBA. The game is so much different than most of us will ever need to officiate. Not to mention the reasons others have given, such as what the NBA wants their officials to concentrate on, and the fact that the NBA is more about entertainment/making money.

Please stop talking about officiating at the NBA level as if it's the same as what most of us do.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Sat May 23, 2015, 12:24pm
Do not give a damn!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: On the border
Posts: 30,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Ummmm, who in here determines if NBA refs are calling it properly? Is someone here privy to their correspondence and individual feedback?

The NBA doesn't answer to anyone in here, so to whom exactly are they making excuses?

Some folks just can't fathom that their individual opinion is just that, their individual opinion.
We can expand that comment to college and even high school. No one here can speak for what should or should not be called by anyone in any other region of the country or areas in which they are not familiar. I know that if I call the game like many people here suggest, I would be still working sophomore basketball most of the time.

Peace
__________________
Let us get into "Good Trouble."
-----------------------------------------------------------
Charles Michael “Mick” Chambers (1947-2010)
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Screens during FT mutantducky Basketball 4 Wed May 29, 2013 11:18am
Illegal Screens riden Basketball 62 Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:45am
Illegal screens johnsatchmo Basketball 33 Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:44am
illegal screens ?? ChrisSportsFan Basketball 3 Sun Mar 06, 2005 04:07pm
screens or illegal picks jerrydhodges Basketball 3 Tue May 02, 2000 08:40am


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1