The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 15, 2017, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNIgiantslayers View Post
I've got a lot of respect for the rules knowledge of the people on this thread who have disagreed with me so I would have a rookie take their word. I don't think it's beneficial for me to keep stating my case, so I'll just say this and move on. In real time, if I'm calling that game, I'm going the other way. I don't think my assignor would have a problem defending that call. I've watched it 10 times, and every time it looks to me like she purposely sticks her rear end ever so slightly into the defender. As I said before, this is a garbage play 80 feet from the basket. She needs to clean it up, there was no reason for that in my opinion and I'm going to help her clean it up if I'm calling that game because on top of being (IMO) illegal, it's a bs screen that was only set so that she could put somebody on their back end. I don't mean to turn this into a debate and I've made my position clear so I won't continue to beat a dead horse after this post.

I will beat a dead horse. A couple of things you need to think about.
This is not a garbage play. You have claimed it is dirty. Sorry but it’s not.

What does the player do wrong? She stops. Let me reiterate she stops. You claim she put her butt out... but look how she stands.... she is entitled to any place on the floor she gets to first.... if she had the ball and stopped, would you say it is a dirty play?

It is not s a garbage play any more than a blinde side screen. Blind picks can be violent. It doesn’t mean it is cheap or garbage.

It’s not a bs screen. ... this is no different than a player slowing down to bunch up defenders so players team mate gets an easy layup ( the Legal moving screen)

You want to clean up a Legal play.

It was a contested play/screen on a steal not 80 feet from basket.

It makes no difference which way she was facing. If she turned 180 would you say the same thing? I doubt it... screening requires no particular way to face.

And lastly... you have no rule to back you up. Calling this is just making up something as you go along. Just because you didn’t like the play...what other rules do you make up because you thought play was garbage?

Some random thoughts....
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 03:03am
Do not give a damn!!

The first play is clearly legal. For one the defender ran into her. She obviously was not looking. They were going in the same direction. When players are going in the same direction, they can stop if they choose. Not sure what she was doing running without noticing her?

The second play looked outside of the frame and a hip check.

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Sat Dec 16, 2017 at 03:18am.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
I will beat a dead horse. A couple of things you need to think about.
This is not a garbage play. You have claimed it is dirty. Sorry but it’s not.

What does the player do wrong? She stops. Let me reiterate she stops. You claim she put her butt out... but look how she stands.... she is entitled to any place on the floor she gets to first.... if she had the ball and stopped, would you say it is a dirty play?

It is not s a garbage play any more than a blinde side screen. Blind picks can be violent. It doesn’t mean it is cheap or garbage.

It’s not a bs screen. ... this is no different than a player slowing down to bunch up defenders so players team mate gets an easy layup ( the Legal moving screen)

You want to clean up a Legal play.

It was a contested play/screen on a steal not 80 feet from basket.

It makes no difference which way she was facing. If she turned 180 would you say the same thing? I doubt it... screening requires no particular way to face.

And lastly... you have no rule to back you up. Calling this is just making up something as you go along. Just because you didn’t like the play...what other rules do you make up because you thought play was garbage?

Some random thoughts....
The rules do support a foul call here. The two players are not moving in the same path and direction (screener is moving parallel to the sideline and the player screened is moving about 45 degrees from the sideline direction). Time and distance should be allowed.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 01:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not relevant. You never have to give time for the opponent to react when a player stops. That is for moving INTO another player's path. When it is a matter of one player following another (same path/direction) the following player is responsible for contact if the player in front stops regardless of the time/distance.
Agree to disagree I do not believe the6nare moving in same direction or following same path. If they. We’re there would be an Oreo type hit ball moving forward, girl getting sandwich not a side on hit.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 01:28pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
The rules do support a foul call here. The two players are not moving in the same path and direction (screener is moving parallel to the sideline and the player screened is moving about 45 degrees from the sideline direction). Time and distance should be allowed.
This is a statement right out of the Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook, which is also a statement from the rules directly.

Quote:
When screening an opponent who is moving in the same path and direction as the screener, the player behind is responsible if contact is made because the player in front slows down or stops and the player behind overruns his or her opponent.
Nothing in the rule talks about what angle degree or that they have to be straight behind them. This player was running at an opponent that was moving up the court. The Tennesee player did not change her direction and cause the contact. She did not see the opponent for some strange reason.

Peace
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 03:21pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And Don't Think For A Second That I Won't Use It ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Nothing in the rule talks about what angle degree or that they have to be straight behind them.
Be careful. I've got a protractor in my pocket and I know how to use it.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

1st is legal 21 just stopped. I don't think she stuck her backside out to make the contact. The player in gray just assumed 21 was going to keep running.

2nd is illegal and I wouldn't pass on it.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is a statement right out of the Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook, which is also a statement from the rules directly.

Nothing in the rule talks about what angle degree or that they have to be straight behind them. This player was running at an opponent that was moving up the court. The Tennesee player did not change her direction and cause the contact. She did not see the opponent for some strange reason.

Peace
True or false . A person traveling east and a person traveling southeast are traving in the same direction on the same path.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 05:41pm
Administrator

Quote:

Peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Be careful. I've got a protractor in my pocket and I know how to use it.

Jeff:

You sound like me in quoting the Simplified and Illustrated Rule Book, .

And between Billy, a Chemist, and me, a Structural Engineer we have pocket protectors, mechanical pencils, and protractors covered.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio

Last edited by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.; Sun Dec 17, 2017 at 09:26pm. Reason: Corrected grammar.
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 06:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Slide Rulers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
And between Billy, a Chemist, and me, a Structural Engineer we've got pocket protectors, mechanical pencils, and protractors covered.
You forgot slide rulers. I've got one and I'm not afraid to use it. If they outlaw slide rulers only outlaws will have slide rulers.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 16, 2017, 07:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Jeff:

You sound like me in quoting the Simplified and Illustrated Rule Book, .

And between Billy, a Chemist, and me, a Structural Engineer we pocket protectors, mechanical pencils, and protractors covered.

MTD, Sr.
But apparently not English. Remember to proofread carefully to see if you any words out.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2017, 07:25am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP View Post
The screener is moving away from the defender and then stops. There is no rule that says a player cannot stop. It makes absolutely no sense that a player moving away from a Defender is how somehow responsible for the contact simply for stopping.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sun Dec 17, 2017, 08:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
You forgot slide rulers. I've got one and I'm not afraid to use it. If they outlaw slide rulers only outlaws will have slide rulers.
BM - with all due respect I doubt your "slide ruler" is getting much attention from the moms on Friday night or Saturday morning at the youth games.....����������

Last edited by Multiple Sports; Sun Dec 17, 2017 at 08:58pm.
Old Sun Dec 17, 2017, 09:28pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
But apparently not English. Remember to proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Bob:

Yes, I know, LOL! I went back and corrected my grammar.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sun Dec 17, 2017, 09:33pm
Administrator

Quote:
Billy:

How could I forget slide rules. When I entered engineering school in September 1969, it was a right of passage for a student entering engineering school to buy his first slide rule. My first and only slide rule (which I still have and I kept by my side even as I went through my engineering career) as a Post Versalog 1460. I also a half size Post Versalog 1460 and a Post Trig Slide Rule.

When Mark, Jr., entered engineering school I went on eBay and bought him a Post Versalog 1460.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio