The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 11:57pm
This IS My Social Life

Old, Old Issue

I'm over there at a kindergarten Facebook discussion site tempted to make the case for the NFHS ruling on the situation where a player falls behind a rebounder and the rebounder with the ball trips over him... You know the situation I'm talking about.
Has anybody ever been able to document the actual year (I just checked 2006-07, the earliest books I have now) this was included in the NFHS Casebook prior to its deletion? Here's the Casebook situation quoted on this Forum a while back:

10.6.1 SITUATION E:
B1 attempts to steal the ball from stationary A1 who is holding the ball. B1 misses the ball and falls to the floor. In dribbling away, A1 contacts B1's leg, loses control of the ball and falls to the floor.

RULING: No infraction or foul has occurred and play continues. Unless B1 made an effort to trip or block A1, he/she is entitled to a position on the court even if it is momentarily lying on the floor after falling down.

Last edited by Freddy; Fri Dec 08, 2017 at 12:59am.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2017, 12:39am
This IS My Social Life

Went back to the books from 2006-07, the earliest I have. It's not in there. C'mon Nuc or Camron or Bob or Billy or anyone . . . got anything for us on this one?

Last edited by Freddy; Fri Dec 08, 2017 at 12:59am.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2017, 03:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Went back to the books from 2006-07, the earliest I have. It's not in there. C'mon Nuc or Camron or Bob or Billy or anyone . . . got anything for us on this one?
Sorry, I don't keep all of the old books...only 1-2 years. I do have electronic copies for a few years but nothing older than 06-07...at least that I can find. I might have something on my work computer. Will check tomorrow.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2017, 04:13am
Official Forum Member

I believe it was in the 2004-05 Case Book, but dropped from the 2005-06 version.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2017, 08:26am
This IS My Social Life

The Bat Phone is Ringing

Commissioner Gordon is on the roof with Police Chief O'Hara, shining the Bat Signal upwards over Gotham City, awaiting a response from DeNucci who is about the only one who can provide an answer to this riddle.

DeNucci: Make a trip into your Bat Cave attic, can you?
Old Fri Dec 08, 2017, 10:52am
certified Hot Mom tester

I looked back at all my books from the 1800's to current and couldn't find anything. Sorry.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2017, 11:58am
Lighten up, Francis.

It is, in fact, on page 83 of the '04-'05 casebook. It does not appear to be in the '05-'06 casebook.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2017, 07:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Being Tripped, Or Tripping ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
10.6.1 SITUATION E: B1 attempts to steal the ball from stationary A1 who is holding the ball. B1 misses the ball and falls to the floor. In dribbling away, A1 contacts B1's leg, loses control of the ball and falls to the floor. RULING: No infraction or foul has occurred and play continues. Unless B1 made an effort to trip or block A1, he/she is entitled to a position on the court even if it is momentarily lying on the floor after falling down.
Thanks Freddy. I love this citation. Forum members have discussed this many times. Now we have a citation to use to settle the debate. However, why did it disappear in 2005-06? Was there a rule change? Did the casebook ruling change?

I've always told new officials that there's a difference between being tripped, and tripping. The former (a player intentionally sticking out their leg) is a foul, the later is not a foul.

Note: I believe that the NCAA ruling may be different, but I know more about vascular surgery than I do about NCAA rules, so take it with a grain of salt.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Dec 08, 2017, 10:50pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Thanks Freddy. I love this citation. Forum members have discussed this many times. Now we have a citation to use to settle the debate. However, why did it disappear in 2005-06? Was there a rule change? Did the casebook ruling change?
I'm sure you know this but for the edification of others:

The NFHS sometimes just retires case plays without a rule change. A case play being removed isn't indicative of there being a change in ruling absent another case play or rule change.