The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Aug 05, 2011, 09:52pm
Official Forum Member

Bat issue

In our national today my partner and I took three bats out of play. They were all the 2 piece composite bats and the 'gasket' between the two pieces was loose.

Just a heads up to all of you who frequent the board, make sure you check this. It is obviously from bad/cheap glue.It may or may not affect the performance of the bat, but it is an alteration from the original design, and should be removed.

The coach was not happy to lose all three of the same bat, but I guess I decided today was not the day for me to make a coach happy.
Old Fri Aug 05, 2011, 10:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by outathm View Post
In our national today my partner and I took three bats out of play. They were all the 2 piece composite bats and the 'gasket' between the two pieces was loose.

Just a heads up to all of you who frequent the board, make sure you check this. It is obviously from bad/cheap glue.It may or may not affect the performance of the bat, but it is an alteration from the original design, and should be removed.

The coach was not happy to lose all three of the same bat, but I guess I decided today was not the day for me to make a coach happy.
Which model bat was this? Were these the Eastons with the hinge?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat Aug 06, 2011, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

In other words, these:

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Sun Aug 07, 2011, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But Blue, We have been using those all year, and NOBODY has ruled them illegal!
Old Sun Aug 07, 2011, 10:46pm
Official Forum Member

I love that response, just once, when I am ready to stop, I will say then I must be perfect, because 'nobody' is perfect, I and I am ruling them illegal today.

Yes NCASA those are the bats.
Old Mon Aug 08, 2011, 05:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I love that response, just once, when I am ready to stop, I will say then I must be perfect, because 'nobody' is perfect, I and I am ruling them illegal today.

Yes NCASA those are the bats.
Yes, these bats have been an issue in the past.

The bats in that picture were all of the bats removed from a previous FP National.

To quote someone from the ASA safety and equipment committee:
Quote:
We have had several issues with this type bat in the Umpire world and at any event that does bat testing. This model when purchased new in a store does not have much wobble - hardly none - so therefore we tell
umpires and UICs that these bats should not have much wobble - if they do they [get] them out of the game.

These bats have had issues since their beginning in the market place. These type of items normally are not brought to the attention of the committee because we have been checking and removing bats from play for many years for various reasons.

Old Sat Aug 20, 2011, 06:14am
Official Forum Member

i have no idea how it works, i just heard of it the other day, but apprently the new thing in altering bats (at least for SP) is taking the sleeve out of an U2 and putting it in a regulation bat. maybe theres some sheninagins with the barrell of these bats???
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 07:49am
Official Forum Member

I have a question about the barrel of a bat.

We work a men's rec slow pitch league where the bats are league supplied. When I checked them before the game, two of them were unrecognizable because the barrels were so worn out. So I tossed them to much dismay amid the "but they're league supplied" complaints. Said I didn't care who supplied them, they weren't being used.

Was I OOO?
Old Thu May 17, 2012, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I have a question about the barrel of a bat.

We work a men's rec slow pitch league where the bats are league supplied. When I checked them before the game, two of them were unrecognizable because the barrels were so worn out. So I tossed them to much dismay amid the "but they're league supplied" complaints. Said I didn't care who supplied them, they weren't being used.

Was I OOO?
Would you continue to use a game ball that was cut or torn simply because it was "league supplied"? A worn out bat can be a dangerous bat. Toss em.

Good call, blue.

Our slowpitch league is doing mandatory bat testing for Class C and up. Over a thousand bats have been tested and about 20 have not passed. These generally seem to be "team bats" that have been used for years and see many trips to the plate per game. After while that barrel gets beaten down and the ball comes off it faster.

We will also be testing fastpitch bats at the State Championships in a couple of weeks. The slowpitch league is talking about testing all bats regardless of class next season.