The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 02:55pm
Official Forum Member

pass to yourself

Situation: A1 chases down a long rebound from B1 in team B's front court. A1 is immediately pressured by team B in A's backcourt. A1 makes a crosscourt pass toward her team mate A2. As A1 makes the pass, A2 vacates the area and the pass is headed out of bounds on the side court. A1 runs after the ball, picks it up and passes the ball immediately to a team mate. Is this legal?
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 03:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Welcome To The Jungle (Guns N' Roses, 1987) ...

collinst: Welcome to the Forum. Also, nice first post.

Did the player release the "pass" before lifting her pivot foot? Did the "passed" ball hit the floor? If so, consider it a dribble. A dribble legally started, and legally ended.

A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats
(intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the floor once
or several times. The dribble may be started by pushing, throwing or batting the ball
to the floor before the pivot foot is lifted. The dribble ends when:
a. The dribbler catches or causes the ball to come to rest in one or both
hands.b. The dribbler palms/carries the ball by allowing it to come to rest in one or
both hands.c. The dribbler simultaneously touches the ball with both hands.

If she released the pass after lifting her pivot foot, it's traveling.

If she released the pass before lifting her pivot foot, and the ball didn't hit the floor, it's traveling.

Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed limits
while holding the ball.

Also (and I'm getting real picky here), you can't, by definition, make a pass to yourself, only to another player.

A pass is movement of the ball caused by a player who throws, bats or rolls the
ball to another player.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 09, 2017 at 03:28pm.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 03:59pm
Official Forum Member

pass to self

She had both feet firmly planted and did not lift either foot while making the pass. The ball bounced several times and began to roll across the floor when she recovered it. Also, I cannot find anywhere in any NFHS book a rule about passing to yourself. Can you tell me where to find it?
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 04:17pm
Esteemed Forum Member

A New York Minute ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinst View Post
I cannot find anywhere in any NFHS book a rule about passing to yourself. Can you tell me where to find it?
NFHS Rule 4 Definitions: Pass: A pass is movement of the ball caused by a player who throws, bats or rolls the ball to another player.

Not a big deal, the definition states that a player can only pass, by definition, to another player. Any mention of a "self pass" on the Forum will get you an admonishment by other Forum members in a New York minute that there is no such animal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 09, 2017 at 04:21pm.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 04:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Forum Word Of The Day : Copacetic ...

Quote:
She had both feet firmly planted and did not lift either foot while making the pass. The ball bounced several times and began to roll across the floor when she recovered it.
Legal play. She legally started a dribble, and legally ended a dribble. She then makes a pass to another player and everything is copacetic. Play on.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 09, 2017 at 04:24pm.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 07:06pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
She had both feet firmly planted and did not lift either foot while making the pass. The ball bounced several times and began to roll across the floor when she recovered it. Also, I cannot find anywhere in any NFHS book a rule about passing to yourself. Can you tell me where to find it?
You won't find it because it doesn't exist. What you have is, by rule, a dribble. The only question is whether it's legal or not.

It is.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 08:46pm
Official Forum Member

The NBA does have a separate rule (relatively recent) prohibiting a pass to oneself...
Old Sun Dec 10, 2017, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Talking Collinst - Be aware of the Belt

Collin - as Billy Mac said welcome to the Forum...however be aware. Billy Mac usually tries to answer rookie posters with lengthy posts only to seduce you into his special club. Very soon he will be trying to get you to join IAABO and then he will attempt to get you to wear a shiny belt with an even shinier belt buckle. Hopefully you will have strength to resist !!!!!
Old Sun Dec 10, 2017, 01:16pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut Is The Constitution State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
... he will attempt to get you to wear a shiny belt with an even shinier belt buckle.
Hey. Here in my little corner of Connecticut, according to our local board constitution, we are allowed to wear black belts, even those of us who don't participate in the sport of karate.

Article 15 - Uniform 1. The uniform shall be in accordance with that approved by IAABO, State Board, and (local Board) with the optional addition of an American flag on the back of the shirt, center and one inch below the neckline. An additional option will be that belted slacks may be worn, and if worn, the belt shall be black.

Old Sun Dec 10, 2017, 01:20pm
Esteemed Forum Member

And Don't Ask Mark Padgett About The First Rule Of Officiating ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Collin - as Billy Mac said welcome to the Forum...
And collinst, don't forget to send your Official Forum annual dues, twenty dollars in small, unmarked bills, to Mark Padgett, the Official Forum treasurer, or just give him your checking account routing number.

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Dec 10, 2017 at 01:23pm.