The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Where in Ohio do varsity officials working 3-man get $80? Here in the Columbus area we get $68 (no mileage).
If I'm reading that right, it's varsity 2-man, but I don't know where that would be happening. In NW Ohio, it's all 3-man for varsity and $65. JV is 2-man for $40-$45.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 10:50am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
If I'm reading that right, it's varsity 2-man, but I don't know where that would be happening. In NW Ohio, it's all 3-man for varsity and $65. JV is 2-man for $40-$45.
Ok. I was like "I'M GETTING SCREWED!" Lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 02:47pm
Official Forum Member

In the Southern part of Indiana, varsity is anywhere from $65 to $75 for varsity. It is all 3 person.
JV is all 2 person and pays anywhere from $50 to $65 per contest.
I am told the northern part of the state is pretty close to that also.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 03:12pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks to everyone who has PMed or responded so far, I'm going to paste an updated screenshot of what I have gathered so far shortly.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Let me know if this link works for people, additionally when ranges were listed I usually used the higher end for consistency.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2017, 04:11pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
CA is by Section, of which there are 13.
It's even more complicated than that. The North Coast Section allows each official's association to negotiate their own fees so my old association has negotiated fees that will be different from another association's.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2017, 01:56am
Official Forum Member

Ohio Information

In Ohio, the rates vary by a fairly significant amount:
Tournament First Round: $80 $1/mile over 50 miles one way
Varsity Rates (All 3 Person): $60 - $72
JV Rates (2 Person): $40 - $55
JV Rates (3 Person): $40 - $50
FR Rates (2 Person): $35 - $45
FR Rates (3 Person): $35 - $42

Some leagues use 3 person for FR+JV DH in Central Ohio and the current pay is $79 ($42 + $37). Central Ohio rates increased from $60 to $68 at the varsity level last year.

We are NOT paid for mileage during the regular season.
Old Fri Dec 08, 2017, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

As a parent, I see these states that always use 3 man for varsity and I'm jealous. While my son's league uses three, the HS tournaments he plays in So Cal use 2. It's frustrating on some calls to have a better angle than the refs and know why they missed a call.

I believe the Southern Section playoffs use only two refs until the semis (and I'm curious how those refs get selected, as I have not been impressed, but that's a different issue....).
Old Fri Dec 08, 2017, 06:51pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Land Of Steady Habits ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by so cal lurker View Post
As a parent, I see these states that always use 3 man for varsity and I'm jealous.
I can't believe the number of states, like Indiana, that don't even have a fee listed for a two person varsity game because all varsity games must be three person games.

Connecticut, particularly my little corner of Connecticut, is way behind the times.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 02:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I can't believe the number of states, like Indiana, that don't even have a fee listed for a two person varsity game because all varsity games must be three person games.

Connecticut, particularly my little corner of Connecticut, is way behind the times.

All the corners appear to be the same size to me. Maybe that is your way of being stealthy about where you actually officiate
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 06:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Legend Of BillyMac (One Tin Soldier) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
All the corners appear to be the same size to me. Maybe that is your way of being stealthy about where you actually officiate.
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, I posted under my real name and included my local IAABO board affiliation in my signature. I did that for several months until the Grand Pubah of our local board highly recommended to our entire board that we not post on basketball official forums, like this, under our real names and local board affiliation.

Thus began the legend of esteemed Forum member BillyMac, an IAABO member, and environmental chemical analyst, from a little corner of Connecticut. In reality, I'm Dr. Frank N. Furter, a sweet transvestite from Transsexual, Transylvania.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Dec 09, 2017 at 04:26pm.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 06:58am
Esteemed Forum Member

IAABO Memo Regarding Social Media ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... highly recommended that we not post on basketball official forums, like this, under our real names and local board affiliation ...
From International Association of Approved Basketball Officials, Inc.:

With the onslaught of social media (Facebook, LinkedIn etc.) there are many ways for officials to become controversial very innocently. Officials love to talk, I am sure you know the old saying "tell a ref tell the world". How often does the conversation between officials start with "I had this play" and then we continue with one upsmanship and "I had this play" and so on. We were always concerned when we were having an adult beverage in an establishment talking basketball, being heard by someone as we made comments about a coach, player or even rowdy fans. Why wouldn't we have the same concern today where, instead of being out in public making comments we now make them online? The danger again is that we do not know who views these comments, and we do not know what they will do with these comments.

In regards to basketball, I have watched officials put up a play online and ask for comments from others and there may be responses from a number of officials that give their "opinion", many of which are incorrect rulings. It amazes me that officials did not ask their own interpreters who have been IAABO trained and most likely can provide the correct response and rule citation. The interpreter also has another resource and that Is Peter Webb who is IAABO's Coordinator of Interpreters and who will respond to each and every question with the correct ruling and rule reference within 48 hours.

My concern is that an errant comment made by an official can come back to haunt them, in fact most Division 1 conferences have added this clause to the officials contract. "The office must refrain from any public criticism of the conference, Conference staff, coaches, student athletes, and Conference athletic departments. This criticism includes communicating with the media, and other basketball officials, as well as any method of social or electronic media (Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, email etc.). Any violation of this policy will result in disciplinary action being taken, which could include one or more of the following actions: private reprimand, suspension or termination".

This may filter down to the state athletic associations in the near future, thus the point of this article is to give our officials a heads up on what is happening in our officiating world. You just might want to give some thought to the above before you make that next "click".

Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

In Pennsylvania, the fees are set by each league. In my league we get $75, all three-person. Our JV rate is $64, all two-person.

i missed the postseason last year with an injury, but two years ago I got $87 for a league playoff game, $99 for a league final, $78 for district playoff games, and $80 for a state playoff game. Again, all three-person.

Last edited by A Pennsylvania Coach; Sat Dec 09, 2017 at 09:01am.
Old Sat Dec 09, 2017, 10:59am
Get away from me, Steve.

Wisconsin has games that pay $55. They have games that pay $85.

Some areas pay travel. Some don't. A few conferences still in the stone ages work 2-person. One I know allows crews to decide to bring 2 or 3 -- if 3, no mileage and a flat fee. If 2, same fee, but a mileage allotment. I really don't know the details, cause I have worked my last 2-person HS game, by choice.

Playoffs this year are $65 for regionals, $75 for sectionals (all 3-person) with mileage paid to the official (or split equally among the 3) who lives farthest away at 45 cents a mile round trip.
Old Sun Dec 10, 2017, 02:08am
NFHS Official

My part of Oklahoma. Per game...We also work 2 games each night

V3--$50/55
V2--$60/$65
JH2--$50