The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 12:38pm
Official Forum Member

Starting Wrong Direction

No. It's not what you think.
R last night in 3 person crew started to toss for start of game and got buzzed over to bench. Came back to center circle and tossed the ball facing opposite the table. I started to blow my whistle, but decided against it to avoid some embarrassment in front of 500 fans. Game went off without a hitch otherwise, with some needling at halftime.
Afterwards though, some other officials that were watching thought either of the other two officials should've blown their whistle and turned the ref around. What does the group think?
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 12:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

The embarrassment is if you start the wrong way, not just because you stop something that might have happened. Do you realize how many times kids want to go the wrong way to either start the game or to start the overtime? So it is much easier to just make sure they are going the right way and deal with it. Then you will not have to worry about all the rules that apply.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

I'm with you, I probably would not have done anything. Might have made me a little less comfortable with him in a tight game though.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Did he look at you to see if you were ready? That might have been a time to remind him to be on other side. Another idea would have been to blow your whistle and "act" as if something was on the floor near the circle. Pretend to pick it up and quietly remind him. Could act as if there was moisture on the floor and rubbed an area with your shoes. Could have blown your whistle, walked to center circle, and acted as if you were curious about bench horn and reminded then. Could have done many things like that if it really bothered you. Otherwise, indeed, maybe just let it go and discuss later.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Good advice here, though what you did seemed prudent.

Inquiring minds want to know: How was his/her game otherwise? And did you say something personally later?
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 01:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindolbat View Post
No. It's not what you think.
R last night in 3 person crew started to toss for start of game and got buzzed over to bench.
Can't U1 handle this? He's right there.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 01:49pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That's what I would do if I was the R...stand there and watch my partner deal with whatever it was going on over there.

as far as the OP, not that big of a deal in this situation. Give him a hard time later in the locker room.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 05:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amesman View Post
Good advice here, though what you did seemed prudent.

Inquiring minds want to know: How was his/her game otherwise? And did you say something personally later?
Game was great other than this, he's a very experienced official. We did talk about it at half. He said he just was anxious to get the ball up and forgot where he was for a second.

Last edited by Blindolbat; Wed Nov 29, 2017 at 05:33pm.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Did he look at you to see if you were ready? That might have been a time to remind him to be on other side. Another idea would have been to blow your whistle and "act" as if something was on the floor near the circle. Pretend to pick it up and quietly remind him. Could act as if there was moisture on the floor and rubbed an area with your shoes. Could have blown your whistle, walked to center circle, and acted as if you were curious about bench horn and reminded then. Could have done many things like that if it really bothered you. Otherwise, indeed, maybe just let it go and discuss later.
Thought about this afterwards. I guess if it ever happens again I'll do this, but honestly been reffing for 20 years and never had that happen.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

He's going to end up trail either way it goes. While it is mechanically incorrect, there is no reason to do anything about it aside from chuckle.
Old Wed Nov 29, 2017, 09:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fire Up The Flux Capacitor ...

Last season (IAABO two person mechanics), I reported a foul and became the trail official on a free throw, but ended up on the table side of the court. No reason (I didn't need to communicate with any coaches). My partner, as the lead, just moved over to opposite table side and administered the free throw. Next timeout, he mentioned it to me, and I remembered the situation. I had no reason to give him, just a lapse in concentration. Thinking about it afterward, I may have actually reverted to the decades old NFHS mechanic of the trail on free throws always being on the left side (which is where I was) of the free throw shooter.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 30, 2017 at 06:49am.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 07:40am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The embarrassment is if you start the wrong way, not just because you stop something that might have happened. Do you realize how many times kids want to go the wrong way to either start the game or to start the overtime? So it is much easier to just make sure they are going the right way and deal with it. Then you will not have to worry about all the rules that apply.
What?? Not even what he's talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
He's going to end up trail either way it goes. While it is mechanically incorrect, there is no reason to do anything about it aside from chuckle.
Probably not even the most mechanically incorrect thing he did all night.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 10:09am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I agree with Camron. This is similar to a 3-whistle crew during a FT, when the Lead bounces the ball to the shooter and then backs out to the opposite side instead of table side. The other two guys recognize it, rotate, and make fun of the Lead in the next TO.

And, it's not even that bad, really, because the U1 and U2 don't even have to adjust for the jump ball. They just skip to the making fun part.
Old Thu Nov 30, 2017, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
My first thought as well. Why does the R need to walk all the way to table with U1 right there. In fact, I've always seen that as part of the job of the U1 to make sure the table is good before ball is tossed.

As for facing the wrong way. Its one of those things that could happen from time to time. If partners could make eye contact or subtly get R's attention that would be great.

If not, just something to laugh about in locker room and a reminder for focus.