The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

Question

Had an overtime game last night in which we and they lined up in the wrong direction to start the overtime. Team A got the tip and went down and missed the shot then Team B fast breaked back down and threw the ball out of bounds. This is when we realized we had them lined up the wrong way. We came together and I decided the ball should be out at the spot which happen to be under team A's basket of course Coach B thought that the ball should come back to half court. It is my interpretation that when this occurs you correct the error and take the ball at the position where play was stopped. Someone please let me know if we were correct.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Continue play

Just let them continue to play, but at the right basket.

No need to change a throw-in spot etc.,

Similiar to the correctable error in which there was a change to team possession and play continues etc.,

Next time though, your partner and you need to take a little more time and make sure that you have five players from each team, and that you are going the right direction.

No need to be in a hurry.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 09:37am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb Ouch!

Quote:
Originally posted by flsh224
Had an overtime game last night in which we and they lined up in the wrong direction to start the overtime. Team A got the tip and went down and missed the shot then Team B fast breaked back down and threw the ball out of bounds. This is when we realized we had them lined up the wrong way. We came together and I decided the ball should be out at the spot which happen to be under team A's basket of course Coach B thought that the ball should come back to half court. It is my interpretation that when this occurs you correct the error and take the ball at the position where play was stopped. Someone please let me know if we were correct.
fish224,
I would administer the throw-in on the other end of the court and get them going in the proper direction with no advantage to either team.
mick
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 12:06pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Re: Ouch!

Quote:
Originally posted by mick
Quote:
Originally posted by flsh224
fish224,
I would administer the throw-in on the other end of the court and get them going in the proper direction with no advantage to either team.
mick
This is what I've seen done. I, of course, have never made such a thoughtless mistake. And if you believe that, I've got some land you can buy real cheap in Florida...
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 12:33pm
Official Forum Member

While going to the other end and putting the ball in play may seem like the right thing to do, it's not supported by rule. In the case play where this is addressed, it says nothing about going to the other end of the floor to inbound the ball.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 01:29pm
In Memoriam

In the eye of this be older....

Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
While going to the other end and putting the ball in play may seem like the right thing to do, it's not supported by rule. In the case play where this is addressed, it says nothing about going to the other end of the floor to inbound the ball.
"A player or team should not be permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule." - The Intent and Purpose of the rules.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 01:54pm
Official Forum Member

Re: In the eye of this be older....

Quote:
Quote:
"A player or team should not be permitted an advantage which is not intended by a rule." - The Intent and Purpose of the rules.
Is that the best you got?
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 02:06pm
Official Forum Member

Re: In the eye of this be older....

Quote:
Quote:
The case play says to continue as you were. Except at the correct baskets.

If there was an advantage etc., so be it.

Thanks
David
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 02:22pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: In the eye of this be older....

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Is that the best you got?
Need I say that putting the ball in play in A's front court gives A a distinct advantage (not intended by a rule) as opposed to putting the ball in play in A's backcourt?
mick

Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 02:29pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah but when there's a case play that's directly on point, I don't think we can ignore it.
Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 02:29pm
In Memoriam

Re: Re: In the eye of this be older....

Quote:
Originally posted by David B

Thanks
David
My case book says:
  • "Once the mistake is recognized, play shall continue with each team attempting to score in its own basket."

David,
    We have different case books. ...Or I am looking at the wrong case (4.5.4).
    mick

Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 02:34pm
    Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: In the eye of this be older....

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally posted by David B

Thanks
    David
    My case book says:
  • "Once the mistake is recognized, play shall continue with each team attempting to score in its own basket."

David,
    We have different case books. ...Or I am looking at the wrong case (4.5.4).
    mick
  • mick,

That's what it says.

That's all it says.

Sign me,

Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 02:35pm
    In Memoriam

Quote:
    Yeah but when there's a case play that's directly on point, I don't think we can ignore it.
    BktBallRef,
    I'm sorry.
    I do not intentionally ignore many rules or cases.
    Which case case is that?
    I didn't see it.
    mick
    Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 02:49pm
    In Memoriam

I was wrong.

After further review (I looked in the comic book) I will now change my stance:

From Basketball Simplified and Illustrated (pg.23):

" ...and the game will resume from the point of interruption with both teams instructed to go the right way."

mick
    Too soon old. Too late smart.
    Old Sat Jan 10, 2004, 02:56pm
    Official Forum Member