The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 09:12pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Question

The ball is loose. Team A member #22 dives for the loose ball and goes completely out of bounds without touching the ball. Team B member #12 gains control of the ball and is completely in bounds. While #22 is out of bounds he reaches in bounds and touches #12 on the foot. Does this cause the ball to be out of bounds? Rule reference please.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 09:17pm
Official Forum Member

No. 7-1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 06:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

From The List ...

To be out of bounds, a player must touch the floor, or some object, on or outside a boundary line. People are not considered to be objects, so inadvertently touching someone who is out of bounds (another player, a photographer, a coach, an official, etc.), without gaining an advantage, is not considered an out of bounds violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 16, 2017 at 06:52pm.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 10:17am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
To be out of bounds, a player must touch the floor, or some object, on or outside a boundary line. People are not considered to be objects, so inadvertently touching someone who is out of bounds (another player, a photographer, a coach, an official, etc.), is not considered an out of bounds violation.
So let's say a player with the ball is on the endline but is falling out of bounds. To stop himself from falling out of bounds he reaches out and pushes off of a cheerleader who is standing too close to the line. You have nothing? Perhaps an unsporting play? I don't see how it's a legal play, yet a cheerleader is a person not an object.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
So let's say a player with the ball is on the endline but is falling out of bounds. To stop himself from falling out of bounds he reaches out and pushes off of a cheerleader who is standing too close to the line. You have nothing? Perhaps an unsporting play? I don't see how it's a legal play, yet a cheerleader is a person not an object.
See 7.1.1A. the play you describe is legal.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 10:30am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I was sure Billy was right (he usually is), but it just didn't seem that way. It was hard to respond like that (just like my response to you in the backcourt violation thread).
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 10:52am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I have a future Hollywood actor or producer.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 10:55am
Official Forum Member

The 7.1.1A ruling says, in part, "Inadvertently touching someone who is out of bounds, without gaining an advantage, is not considered a violation."
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 03:12pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
The 7.1.1A ruling says, in part, "Inadvertently touching someone who is out of bounds, without gaining an advantage, is not considered a violation."

According to NFHS CB 7.1.1A, the player would have committed an out-of-bounds violation.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

I've had this play and always wondered about adjudication by strict rule:

A1 in BC dribbles near his coach, who is standing extremely close to the sideline. The coach gives verbal instructions and in doing so, places his hand on A1's shoulder. There was no defensive pressure at all.

A1 did not touch the coach intentionally/inadvertently but rather the coach touched him. No advantage for anyone was gained by the touch. I allowed play to simply continue but some nearby were giving me weird looks as if to say "Is that allowed?"
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 06:44pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Advantage ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
The 7.1.1A ruling...
Nice citation LRZ.

7.1.1 SITUATION A: A1, while holding the ball inbounds near the sideline,
touches (a) player B1; (b) a photographer; (c) a coach; (d) an official, all of whom
are out of bounds. RULING: A1 is not out of bounds in (a), (b), (c) or (d). To be
out of bounds, A1 must touch the floor or some object on or outside a boundary
line. People are not considered to be objects and play continues. Inadvertently
touching someone who is out of bounds, without gaining an advantage, is not
considered a violation.

As a result of LRZ's post, I've made a change in my List (first change not created by rule change in several years, I'm always willing to improve the List):

To be out of bounds, a player must touch the floor, or some object, on or outside a boundary line. People are not considered to be objects, so inadvertently touching someone who is out of bounds (another player, a photographer, a coach, an official, etc.), without gaining an advantage, is not considered an out of bounds violation.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Nov 16, 2017 at 06:54pm.
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 07:02pm
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Nice citation LRZ.

7.1.1 SITUATION A: A1, while holding the ball inbounds near the sideline,
touches (a) player B1; (b) a photographer; (c) a coach; (d) an official, all of whom
are out of bounds. RULING: A1 is not out of bounds in (a), (b), (c) or (d). To be
out of bounds, A1 must touch the floor or some object on or outside a boundary
line. People are not considered to be objects and play continues. Inadvertently
touching someone who is out of bounds, without gaining an advantage, is not
considered a violation.

As a result of LRZ's post, I've made a change in my List (first change not created by rule change in several years, I'm always willing to improve the List):

So in my example, where a player purposely touches a cheerleader out of bounds, we're calling it out of bounds?
Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 08:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Mark Ain't bob ...

Quote:
So in my example, where a player purposely touches a cheerleader out of bounds, we're calling it out of bounds?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
According to NFHS CB 7.1.1A, the player would have committed an out-of-bounds violation.
Always listen to Mark. Well, not always. Just most of the time. Wait, not most of the time, just some of the time.

Old Thu Nov 16, 2017, 08:49pm
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:

Bryan:

To answer your question: Yes.

But the real discussion we all should be having is this: Let's change Bryan's play to this: "A1 is falling out of bounds and touches a cheerleader who is standing too close to the boundary line." How many of us, even bald old geezers like me, Bob, Jeff, Tony, and Billy, would, without really thinking have a bang-bang an out-of-bounds violation by A1?

Let the discussion begin!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Nov 20, 2017, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks BryanV21 for posing this enigmatic issue:
If A1 touches the cheerleader who is standing out-of-bounds and this slight touch has enabled A1 to keep from falling out-of-bounds, then A1 has used the touching of an out-of-bounds person to indeed ''gain an advantage".
Also, if the coach is conferring with a player [as in the sitch also described] then that team has indeed "gained an advantage" by being allowed to 'confer' with the coach who is out-of-bounds.
Interested to see where this goes. Although this is a sasquatch type of play---I'm thinking I'd have out-of-bounds on the deliberate touching of cheerleader for the explicit purpose of gaining balance to keep from falling out of bounds. I will dutifully fall on my sword.