The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Nov 14, 2017, 06:27pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
That's his prerogative. Thankfully, I don't work for anyone that requires that. When/if I ever do, I'll adjust.
Thankfully I do, because it's very good money.

And I've seen myself on video doing it, and it was pretty smooth.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Tue Nov 14, 2017, 09:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
In real time, I'm going PC on this. Defender's left foot does slide slightly after shooter becomes airborne, but I don't think defender is ever out of his vertical, is he? If he is, it's just barely and I'm pretty sure I wouldn't see that in live action.

I like this response the most. While reviewing the video, I see the defender getting there so late that as he’s trying to straighten his knees and stand tall, his hips and torso are still moving toward the shorter when contact occurs. Block.

In reality, am I going to have time as the lead to look up from the feet and judge this in time? Nope. Charge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old Tue Nov 14, 2017, 09:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
I like this response the most. While reviewing the video, I see the defender getting there so late that as he’s trying to straighten his knees and stand tall, his hips and torso are still moving toward the shorter when contact occurs. Block.

In reality, am I going to have time as the lead to look up from the feet and judge this in time? Nope. Charge.

I’m going to disagree that defender was “late”. ...Did the defender establish legal guarding position? ( both feet on the ground, facing the opponent)...

Once the defender has established the position and attained the spot on the floor.. the defender is entitled to the space on the floor and the vertical space. If the defender is in his vertical space and offender causes contact, responsibility is on offense player for contact... no different to me than turning to absorb shock that makes it look like torso is moving toward offense...contact occurs on Torso...

A couple of philosophy notes.

I agree with the statement in previous post...What did the defender do wrong? He did it right, he’s defending the goal and taking a drive away...

Call this a charge and the offensive team thinks twice about making this plays to the basket.... Call it a block and the offensive team will continue to drive like this and make the game rougher.

Refereeing the defense here is more than watching the feet and then looking up... it’s the defender playing basketball. All too often we referee with the assumption that the defense is always wrong. The better way to look at it... the defender is always legal... and once the defender proves they do something wrong, then blow the whistle..

In this play the defender has shown me nothing that violates a rule.
Old Tue Nov 14, 2017, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin green View Post
Refereeing the defense here is more than watching the feet and then looking up... it’s the defender playing basketball. All too often we referee with the assumption that the defense is always wrong. The better way to look at it... the defender is always legal... and once the defender proves they do something wrong, then blow the whistle..

This is a fair point. I’ve heard this “prove the negative” philosophy before and it does make for a great way to see the game and keep a patient whistle.

That said, at least from a video review perspective, I see the defender doing something wrong by moving toward the offensive player after LGP is established. I guess we’ll have to agree to disagree.

Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Thankfully I do, because it's very good money.

And I've seen myself on video doing it, and it was pretty smooth.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Video proof requested.
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 02:31pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Call this a charge and the offensive team thinks twice about making this plays to the basket.... Call it a block and the offensive team will continue to drive like this and make the game rougher.
Totally agree with this statement and started recognizing this in the last 5 years or so. If you call fouls on the defender, you will not give the offensive player any incentive to pull up and shoot or pass the ball so they do not get get a foul called on them. This cleans up the game so much when you call offensive fouls and we stop penalizing the defense for every movement they make and we find reasons to call fouls on them.

Quote:

Exactly. Most of the times like these, this is an offensive foul.

Peace
Old Wed Nov 15, 2017, 03:18pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncorrectCall View Post
Video proof requested.
I have seen Raymond work. He is the epitome of smoooooth.