The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 12:35pm
Official Forum Member

Revisit the "jump stop"

I recently found myself in a position of trying to explain to a coach why his player could not leave the ground on one foot with the ball, land simultaneously on both feet, and NOT be allowed a pivot foot after the landing. Other than simply telling him that it's in the rule book, how do we explain WHY this is traveling? I did a half-assed job of trying to explain it. He didn't catch the ball in the air and then land on 2 feet, it was off his dribble.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jqb12 View Post
Other than simply telling him that it's in the rule book, how do we explain WHY this is traveling?
Not sure you can: the player doesn't have a pivot foot because the rule book says so.

Maybe you try: "Normally jumping and landing is travelling. There is an exception for jumping off one foot and landing on both at the same time. But the price for that exception is that the player doesn't get to pivot."
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Yea, that would've sounded a little better than what I found myself rambling about. Really doesn't seem to be a sound explanation.
Old Fri Nov 03, 2017, 02:37pm
Official Forum Member

Not to belabor a discussion we recently had, but you have to be sure that the dribble had already ended when the player alighted off of that one foot. If the dribble ended after the alight, and then he/she lands simultaneously on two feet, now either could be a pivot. Be ready for the coach to make this point (whether the coach saw it the way you saw it is an entirely different matter).

It's all about when the dribble ends. If you're not sure, don't guess. This is probably why players appear to get away with travelling in some cases like this. It's because the official wasn't sure and didn't guess.
Old Sat Nov 04, 2017, 08:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jqb12 View Post
Yea, that would've sounded a little better than what I found myself rambling about. Really doesn't seem to be a sound explanation.
"Your player ended the dribble with one foot on the floor. He can jump off of that foot. If both feet land, they must be simultaneous. once that happens he cannot pivot. 4-44."
Old Sat Nov 04, 2017, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Part of the issue in this is that, in general, coaches use the term "jump stop" only to mean "gather in the air and land on two feet." -- So, when they ask, "Can you oivot after a jump stop?" they get the answer "yes" and then try to apply it to the "jump off one foot..." type,
Old Sat Nov 04, 2017, 01:30pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Regional ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Part of the issue in this is that, in general, coaches use the term "jump stop" only to mean "gather in the air and land on two feet." -- So, when they ask, "Can you pivot after a jump stop?" they get the answer "yes" and then try to apply it to the "jump off one foot..." type,
Bingo.

And basketball terms may have regional differences. In some areas, a player putting his body between the basket and the opposing player in order to gain an advantage in getting rebound is called "boxing out". In other areas, it may be called "blocking out".
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Nov 04, 2017, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Part of the issue in this is that, in general, coaches use the term "jump stop" only to mean "gather in the air and land on two feet." -- So, when they ask, "Can you oivot after a jump stop?" they get the answer "yes" and then try to apply it to the "jump off one foot..." type,
There's that word "gather" again. I don't think many coaches realize when the dribble ends. If they ask q can you pivot after a jump stop the official shoujd say depends on when the dribble ended. With a foot on ground, no pivot. If ended w both feet off ground, yes.

Most of the jump stops we see these days the dribble ends w one foot on ground. Many coaches and other think the dribble isn't ended until ball is touched with both hands.