The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 09, 2017, 07:41am
This IS My Social Life

2017-18 NFHS Interpretations, Pt.2

SITUATION 8: A1, while dribbling the ball in the frontcourt near the midcourt line, has the ball strike the midcourt line and as the ball comes up from the dribble, A1 touches the ball and continues to dribble. RULING: Backcourt violation. A1 may not be the first to touch the ball in the backcourt if he/she or a teammate last touched or was touched by the ball in the frontcourt, before it went to the backcourt. (9-9-1)

SITUATION 9: A1 has the ball for an end-line throw-in in his/her frontcourt. The administering official reaches a four-second count when A1 passes the ball to A2, who had been standing in the free-throw lane since A1 had the ball at his/her disposal. RULING: Legal. Even though a team is now in control during a throw-in, the three-second rule specifically requires that a team be in control in its frontcourt for a violation to occur. Technically speaking, the thrower-in is out of bounds and not located in the frontcourt. (4-35-2, 9-7)

SITUATION 10: A1 has the ball for an end-line throw-in in his/her backcourt. The administering official reaches a four-second count when A1 passes the ball onto the court. A1’s pass to A2, who is also in Team A’s backcourt, takes several bounces and six seconds before A2 picks up and controls the ball. RULING: Legal. Even though a team is now in control during a throw-in, the 10-second rule specifically requires that a player/team be in continuous control in its backcourt for 10 seconds for a violation to occur. Technically speaking, the thrower-in is out of bounds and not located in the backcourt. (4-35-2, 9-8)

SITUATION 11: A1 has the ball for an end-line throw-in in his/her frontcourt. A1’s pass to A2, who is in the frontcourt standing near the free-throw line, is high, bounces several times and goes into Team A’s backcourt
untouched. A2 is then the first to control the ball in Team A’s backcourt. RULING: Legal. There is no backcourt violation since player control and team control had not yet been established in Team A’s frontcourt before the ball went into Team A’s backcourt. The throw-in ends when A2 legally touches the ball in the backcourt and the backcourt count starts as soon as A2 gains control in his/her backcourt. (4-12-2, 9-9)

SITUATION 12: A1 has the ball for an end-line throw-in in his/her frontcourt. A1’s pass to A2, who is in the frontcourt standing near the division line, is high and deflects off A2’s hand and goes into Team A’s backcourt. A2 is then the first to control the ball in Team A’s backcourt. RULING: Legal. There is no backcourt violation since player control and team control had not yet been established in Team A’s frontcourt before the ball went into Team A’s backcourt. The throw-in ends when A2 legally touches the ball, but the backcourt count does not start until A2 gains control in his/her backcourt. (4-12-2, 9-9)

SITUATION 13: The head coach of Team A is upset that the foul count against his team is 7 to 2. He voices his opinion in an unsporting manner to the contest official. RULING: The official should stop play if it is not a break situation with a potential scoring opportunity and give the coach an official warning by notifying the scorekeeper and then letting the coach know that he has been warned. The scorekeeper should make note of the warning in the scorebook. This situation does not have to be given a warning; the coach could be issued a technical immediately. (4-48)

SITUATION 14: During a live ball, the assistant coach is off the bench and out of the coaching box giving instructions to a player on the court. RULING: The official should rule a technical on the assistant coach for being off the bench and out of the coaching box. (4-48)

SITUATION 15: During the second quarter, the head coach is off the bench expressing his disapproval of several calls made. As the team brings the ball down the floor into the frontcourt, the trail official stops play to issue a warning. RULING: The official is correct in issuing a warning to the coach for the complaints. The scorekeeper is notified, as well as the coach, of the warning. Another warning cannot be given. (4-48)

SITUATION 16: During the warm-up period, the referee notices on the back of Team B’s jersey the letters (a) PHHS and (b) P+E+T. RULING: Legal in (a) as the letters on the jersey represent the official name of the school; illegal in (b) as the letters do not represent the name of the school, which makes the jersey illegal. The head coach shall be charged with a direct technical foul and the game will begin with the opponents shooting two free throws and receiving the ball for a division line throw-in. The head coach will lose coaching-box privileges. (3-4-4, 10-6-4)

SITUATION 17: Team A is wearing a jersey with the school name above the number on the front and the player name in the shoulder area across the back. RULING: Legal. It is permissible to place the names in these locations. (3-4-4)
Old Thu Oct 12, 2017, 04:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
SITUATION 13: The head coach of Team A is upset that the foul count against his team is 7 to 2. He voices his opinion in an unsporting manner to the contest official. RULING: The official should stop play if it is not a break situation with a potential scoring opportunity and give the coach an official warning by notifying the scorekeeper and then letting the coach know that he has been warned. The scorekeeper should make note of the warning in the scorebook. This situation does not have to be given a warning; the coach could be issued a technical immediately. (4-48)
Glad to see this got cleaned up.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2017, 07:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwburke94 View Post
Glad to see this got cleaned up.
Wasn't there a substantially similar case already in the book?
Old Thu Oct 12, 2017, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Iowa has taken this a step farther. Warnings issued during play will be recorded in the book during the next stoppage in play. Officials will not stop play just for a warning.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2017, 03:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
SITUATION 14: During a live ball, the assistant coach is off the bench and out of the coaching box giving instructions to a player on the court. RULING: The official should rule a technical on the assistant coach for being off the bench and out of the coaching box. (4-48)
Until I read this, I thought I had this in perspective. I have often addressed a HC about an AC's actions, including varying degrees of the above offense.

This interp makes it appear this is a Major offense of 10-5-2 and/or 10/5/4, since those are "warnable" offenses. Do you think it is the "out of the coaching box" that makes this a T?
Old Mon Oct 16, 2017, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch85 View Post
Until I read this, I thought I had this in perspective. I have often addressed a HC about an AC's actions, including varying degrees of the above offense.

This interp makes it appear this is a Major offense of 10-5-2 and/or 10/5/4, since those are "warnable" offenses. Do you think it is the "out of the coaching box" that makes this a T?
Assistant coaches don't get warnings.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2017, 03:36pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS says they do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Assistant coaches don't get warnings.
According to 10-5-1a,b,d,e,f,2&4, officials shall warn the head coach unless the offense is judged to be major. Guess I need to step up my game.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2017, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
According to 10-5-1a,b,d,e,f,2&4, officials shall warn the head coach unless the offense is judged to be major. Guess I need to step up my game.
The situation you referenced was specifically about what the assistant coach was doing, and the new rule specifically says that assistant coaches do not get the courtesy of a warning. So if the assistant coach is misbehaving, and you need to punish him for it, the new official warning is not an option.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2017, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
the new rule specifically says that assistant coaches do not get the courtesy of a warning.
Is that derived from the interp or is it written somewhere that I missed?
Old Mon Oct 16, 2017, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is that derived from the interp or is it written somewhere that I missed?
I stand corrected - apparently based on some of the situations from the handout they are also allowing warnings for bench personnel. That's cute. Here in Texas we only give official warnings to head coaches. Assistant coaches and other bench personnel don't get afforded that courtesy. Sorry for the confusion.
Old Mon Oct 16, 2017, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS should go with NCAA on this one..

Book warnings are for "coaching" outside of the coaching box.

All other warnings (quiet word, public hand, etc) should not come in the form of game stoppages or book warnings.

If it's not bad, diffuse it - if it's bad, whack.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2017, 08:44am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncorrectCall View Post

All other warnings (quiet word, public hand, etc) should not come in the form of game stoppages or book warnings.

This is the rule because it works so well in a couple of other NF sports like football, where we have a sideline warning that results in no penalty. It puts the coach on notice and all coaches on notice and then we do not have to give any other penalty in the end because we made it known they had a warning. Works very well in football.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 17, 2017, 09:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncorrectCall View Post

Except we all have seen plenty of NCAA-M games where this is ignored (including the few that I work); I routinely see men's college officials put warnings in the book for behavior issues. What you said might be the rule, but it's seldom applied like that. Heck, I don't think I've ever seen a coach get a warning for coaching outside the box.

Heck, even in high school games before this rule change there were plenty of officials that would put these types of warnings in the book.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2017, 09:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Except we all have seen plenty of NCAA-M games where this is ignored (including the few that I work); I routinely see men's college officials put warnings in the book for behavior issues. What you said might be the rule, but it's seldom applied like that. Heck, I don't think I've ever seen a coach get a warning for coaching outside the box.

Heck, even in high school games before this rule change there were plenty of officials that would put these types of warnings in the book.
Agreed - it is a major POE this year NOT to do that in NCAA - M. J.D. talked on it for what seemed like 30 minutes.
Old Tue Oct 17, 2017, 09:34am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post

NCAA Men's officials are being told to issue T's after giving warnings this season, especially now that the coaches have a 38' box to wander.