The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 19, 2017, 08:54am
This IS My Social Life

New Uniform Expectation for NFHS

1.6.1 (p.13) New: "No jewelry, except wedding band, shall be worn by officials while officiating a game. Fitness bands, rubber bands are considered the same as jewelry."

Just an FYI for those of you whose states' use NFHS mechanics.
Old Tue Sep 19, 2017, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

We use NFHS exclusively, in theory anyway. While it's great that the FED doesn't want FitBits being worn, there's no one in my state that will likely enforce the directive.
Old Tue Sep 19, 2017, 11:58am
Official Forum Member

I'm glad to see this. I've had a lot of conversations centered around this topic and there were a lot of differing opinions. Good stuff this year and last from the Fed with regard to officials mechanics, uniforms, etc. in my opinion.
Old Tue Sep 19, 2017, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, thanks to the NF for clarifying / enforcing such "jewelry" (i.e., fitbits, spirit bands, multi-colored rubbers, etc...): several guys whom I officiate with wear 2 or 3 multi-colored rubber spirit bands that are dangling on their wrists --not unlike my daughter's faux gold n silver bangle bracelets she buys at the Forever21 store. Just an all around bad look for a mature professional man who is charged with arbitrating a public competitive contest--the optics are not good. However, who is going to enforce it to partner refs? Should it be me, or the coaches?
I know that about twice per season there is an "under-cover" observer from the local association at the games--but that is too infrequent to cause a change in "fashion-behavior". Nevertheless, it's good to see a starting point.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Tue Sep 19, 2017 at 03:21pm.
Old Tue Sep 19, 2017, 05:35pm
Esteemed Forum Member

The Times They Are A-Changin' (Bob Dylan, 1964) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
... multi-colored rubbers ...
Back when I was a hormone driven teenager in high school, during the middle part of the twentieth century, this (above) had a very different meaning than that intended by Kansas Ref.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Sep 20, 2017, 01:08am
Official Forum Member

I know a few guys who wear fitbits around their ankle while officiating. It is covered by pants and even a sock, so it doesn't show. It stil tracks what they desire, so I believe that they have found a workable solution.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2017, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
I know a few guys who wear fitbits around their ankle while officiating. It is covered by pants and even a sock, so it doesn't show. It stil tracks what they desire, so I believe that they have found a workable solution.
This is what I do. It works fine, and no one is the wiser.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2017, 07:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is that allowed even if IAABO does not specifically endorse it? What if a player does this and we notice it when a sock falls down, or we notice the "bump" under the sock? What if it's not the black, white, beige, or the color of the uniform? What if NFHS says one thing, and IAABO says another? What if we don't notice it during a live ball, but during the dead ball right after a goal?

(That should be enough questions for BM to make sure the board is not so slow.)
Old Wed Sep 20, 2017, 10:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You can wear it in your pocket and at least accomplish the steps portion of the device. I know I am going to consider doing this for the coming season just for kicks. I use a Fitbit for the entire summer but would never consider using it during the regular season.

Peace
Old Wed Sep 20, 2017, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

I put it in my back pocket and it still does a good job of counting my steps.

Though during softball I have been asked if I have a can of chewing tobacco in my pocket. And while umpiring I the high school softball state championship one of the observers asked me to take it out of my pocket because of the perception that it was tobacco. I was able to take it off its band and keep it in my pocket without perception problems.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2017, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

For several years after my wife died, I wore her three small gold rings--we called them her wedding bands--on a chain around my neck. If an observer told me I had to take them off, I'd walk off. Those rings were the only jewelry I have ever worn and they were sacred to me.
Old Wed Sep 20, 2017, 06:12pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Want To Buy A Bridge That Connects Manhattan And Brooklyn ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
What if NFHS says one thing, and IAABO says another?
Never happen in a million years.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Fri Sep 22, 2017, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Back when I was a hormone driven teenager in high school, during the middle part of the twentieth century, this (above) had a very different meaning than that intended by Kansas Ref.
*ahem, Mr. Billy Mac...; observation duly noted.