The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Soccer

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Sep 28, 2011, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Uniform Change Controversy

Not a soccer official, but thought y'all might find this interesting...

Uni Watch Is New Soccer Uni Regulation a Whitewash?
Old Thu Sep 29, 2011, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

It's clear to me the reason for requiring the solid white jersey is not strictly for the referee's benefit. The game of soccer has been around for over a hundred years without one team being confined to wearing white without an issue.

The problem I think they are trying to resolve are the schools with "dual" colors. That is a color that can be considered both light and dark. Take gold for instance. Does gold suffice for a light colored home uniform? Yes. Does gold suffice for a dark colored away uniform? Yes. So, thrifty AD only orders a single kit for the team in gold. This works fine until they run up against another team who only has gold. Then we have a problem. I saw a basketball game like this once. My eyes hurt for days.

The second problem is that unless you enforce a certain color for one team, teams have to have three jerseys to ensure you don't clash. Imagine a team with a home jersey of red and white hoops playing a team with an away jersey of red and black hoops. Unless one of these teams has a jersey without red in it, we have a problem.

In my opinion, a better solution is to mandate each team have two jerseys of contrasting colors, without mandating that one of them be all white.