The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 08, 2017, 06:27pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Smile You make the wrong call?

Here's a link to one of those videos that gives the impression that the official made the wrong call. He calls a shooting foul in the final seconds of a girls game. However, if you look closely, you will see that the shooter traveled just prior to taking the shot. She intercepts a pass and then hops on her left foot just before taking the shot. Watch her feet as she catches the ball to see the hop.

Do you agree? Comments?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHSPqqVh7tw
Old Fri Sep 08, 2017, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

You gave it away with the play by play

In looking @it live, I most likely would have had nothing. Watching it 3 times, same result

She definitely traveled. Not sure about the foul.

Did it costem?
Old Sat Sep 09, 2017, 01:00am
AremRed

I didn't know Les Jones was working girls HS now.
Old Sat Sep 09, 2017, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

i see no foul.

Difficult even with replay to indentify clearly when she has it caught, isn't fumbling, if foot clears floor at time ball has been controlled etc. If you see a travel I might see why but in real time other than it looks funny I don't definitively have anything ( and I try to get all the travels).

Let's assume for a minute she does have control and doe hop in one foot. Does
Anyone else think it an odd nunance in the rule that she can catch on one and hop to 2 and shoot so long as she doesn't pivot, but she can't have that 1 hop to 1 and shoot?

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!
Old Sat Sep 09, 2017, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

no foul and no travel. Just an incorrect call.
Old Sun Sep 10, 2017, 12:17am
Official Forum Member

1. The calling ref was in direct earshot of the team bemch, maybe he was influenced by the chatter?

2. Or maybe the ref had some angle/look at the play that we are not afforded by the angle/view from the video?

3. Despite the issue, I did admire the very professional manner in which the partner officials exerted control of the coaches /bench personnel and calmed a potentially calamatous situation.

Last edited by Kansas Ref; Sun Sep 10, 2017 at 12:45am.
Old Sun Sep 10, 2017, 12:19am
Official Forum Member

From the angle of the video, I believe it is not possible to be conclusive about whether there was a foul or not. I'd love to see the angle the official had.

As for the travel, I believe it is technically a travel but one that would be incredibly hard to detect live.
Old Sun Sep 10, 2017, 01:07am
Official Forum Member

Looked to me as if calling official was opposite benches. Anyway...

I have no travel. Did not appear to have control. Foul was called on blue 24 (has 4 fouls btw), who appears to take a jab at white 22. Now, keep an eye on both players during the first play. White 22 dribbles down court and gives a hand-off/pass to a teammate. In doing so, white 22 cracks blue 24. During ensuing throw-in, white 22 is the one who steals it. Blue 24 is called for her 5th foul.

I found it interesting that blue 24 was the only blue player not terribly upset with the call or in disbelief over it. She even appears to confide/say something to a teammate as the official approaches the table. Her body language makes me think that possibly she got caught with her "hand in the cookie jar." With a no call, nobody would have said anything. Calling official appears pretty adamant with the 'ol hold-the-arm-in-the-air-a-long-time routine. Definitely need the angle from the other side and more importantly, I would love to hear what 24 said to her teammate. I also wish we could see how blue 24 fully reacted after that initial crack by white 22.

I am only guessing and not using objectivity at all but I hypothesize that blue 24 took umbrage with the white 22 initial crack and was caught during her revenge move.

Last edited by bucky; Sun Sep 10, 2017 at 01:17am.
Old Sun Sep 10, 2017, 08:08am
Official Forum Member

I've seen this play discussed many times in the 3.5 years since it was posted.
Old Sun Sep 10, 2017, 11:44am
NFHS Official

I know the Lead and Center officials in this play very well. If there's any contact its when the girl slaps in on the shot, however its really hard to tell from this angle. After watching again, I was thinking the foul was called on 00, but it seems the foul is on 24.

Last edited by OKREF; Sun Sep 10, 2017 at 11:50am.
Old Sun Sep 10, 2017, 07:02pm
Official Forum Member

There is a lot going on in this clip.

I definitely wish we had another angle. I would like to see the pass and potential illegal screen by white on the long three pointer.

Anyone else have a delay of game warning at the 20 second mark when the white player bats the ball out of bounds? I know we tend to err on the side of not calling it but that one was pretty blatant.

I see the travel, but would probably not have seen it in the game. That is really tough if you have tunnel vision trying to figure out if the shooter was fouled.

The other thing that stood out to me is how close the official got to the table. It lended to the fact that we think he is confused or possibly doesn't like the call.
Old Sun Sep 10, 2017, 09:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nakht View Post
The other thing that stood out to me is how close the official got to the table. It lended to the fact that we think he is confused or possibly doesn't like the call.
I seriously doubt that. I think it is because it is an endgame situation and he wants it to be very clear what he has.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Mon Sep 11, 2017 at 10:58am.
Old Mon Sep 11, 2017, 10:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Anyone else have a delay of game warning at the 20 second mark when the white player bats the ball out of bounds? I know we tend to err on the side of not calling it but that one was pretty blatant.
No. She's trying to get the ball in the other team's hands to speed up the throw-in. If that ends up costing her team time, that's a pretty natural consequence. This is situational awareness to me.
Old Mon Sep 11, 2017, 01:15pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

She knocked the ball OOB to where the throw-in would occur, so nothing was delayed.