The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 03:53pm
This IS My Social Life

4-44-4: "...when neither foot can be a pivot"

A deep dive into Rule 4-44 TRAVELING leads me to an issue in 4-44-4b. There it says, "After coming to a stop when neither foot can be a pivot: Neither foot may be lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble."

I've always considered the two references above this in 4-44-2a3. and 4-44-2b2 above, both of which also contain the phrase, "Neither foot can be a pivot in this case" to be directly applicable to what we popularly call a "Jump Stop" and therefore think "Jump Stop" when trying to understand 4-44-4, where I see how 4-44-4a makes sense, but not 4-44-4b.

QUESTIONS:
1. Is it correct that 4-44-2a3 and 4-44-2b2 describe what is popularly called a "Jump Stop"?
2. Does 4-44-4, therefore, apply ONLY to when a Jump Stop is executed? Or are there other situations applicable to this specific rule?
3. Reason for my last question is that I'm having a hard time imagining a Jump Stop needing the additional restriction in 4-44-4b, "Neither foot may be lifted before the ball is released to start a dribble." How can a dribble possibly be started after a Jump Stop?

Anybody with a little time to delve into the depths of what I'm trying to solve here willing to help me on this?
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 04:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
How can a dribble possibly be started after a Jump Stop?

Anybody with a little time to delve into the depths of what I'm trying to solve here willing to help me on this?
It is possible....it must be started with both feet still on the floor.

It relates to the dribble/pivot foot requirement since, in a jump stop, there never was a pivot. This closes the hole by allowing a dribble but limiting it so that a player can't get the advantage of starting it as if there were a pivot by lifting one foot and beginning to step. The rules consider it too much of an advantage to be able to execute a jump stop and then start to step before starting a dribble.
Old Mon Sep 18, 2017, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

A player does not have to be dribbling to execute a jumpstop. A player may do a jumpstop immediately after receiving a pass while moving. In this case, it would be perfectly legal for the player to dribble as long as he does so before lifting either foot.
Old Tue Sep 19, 2017, 03:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
A player does not have to be dribbling to execute a jumpstop. A player may do a jumpstop immediately after receiving a pass while moving. In this case, it would be perfectly legal for the player to dribble as long as he does so before lifting either foot.

Man Nevadaref you are good. Well often, or sometimes... maybe just this once...