The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 29, 2017, 11:52am
Do not give a damn!!

I said on a FB site that if this was my game, I would have walked off. The fact that it is a camp might have changed my mind a little because you are kind of at the mercy of the camp at that point. I would only walked off for sure if I was being paid to work the games and nothing else. The fact this is a camp changes that fact. But then he would not have had many chances to be disrespectful at all and he would be gone. After all that is what they tell us to do right? Do not let the first T'ing official call the second one. And I would have been embolden if I knew she was a D1 official on top of that, because she is at least at top level with that kind of pressure.

The bottom line, these AAU tournaments are a joke and this is why.

Peace
Old Sat Jul 29, 2017, 10:27pm
The Whistle of Justice

59:18 mark in the video from the Wednesday game is when he gets the T. You don't see it but you do hear the whistle and a kid reacts walking away. Announcers verify it was a T about 10 seconds later with about a minute of Ball chattering to the other ref and then what appears to be trying to get a final word in with the calling official as he eyes her all the way across the court.
Old Sun Jul 30, 2017, 01:40am
Barely $.02 cents worth

Bottom line - no person is bigger than the game, and especially, the integrity of it. . .

Adidas (who made the decision) to pull the ref off - the only thing they accomplished with this is showing how they care more about getting a player signed for their brand than the integrity of the sport in general. . .

Not to mention the fact that it just showcases misogyny to an entirely different level. . .

What's really pathetic is that his next game, they were going to do 2 women officials and 1 male, but Adidas wouldn't allow it, so they did 2 males and 1 woman. . .

That being said, I will NEVER work an Adidas-brand tournament ever. They put their own self interests for one team and the hope they can get an endorsement for a player over the sport entirely. . .
Old Sun Jul 30, 2017, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Referee24.7 View Post
Bottom line - no person is bigger than the game, and especially, the integrity of it. . .

Adidas (who made the decision) to pull the ref off - the only thing they accomplished with this is showing how they care more about getting a player signed for their brand than the integrity of the sport in general. . .

Not to mention the fact that it just showcases misogyny to an entirely different level. . .

What's really pathetic is that his next game, they were going to do 2 women officials and 1 male, but Adidas wouldn't allow it, so they did 2 males and 1 woman. . .

That being said, I will NEVER work an Adidas-brand tournament ever. They put their own self interests for one team and the hope they can get an endorsement for a player over the sport entirely. . .
Plus I am never going to buy their stuff and only bad mouth them from here on.
Old Sun Jul 30, 2017, 06:45am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Referee24.7 View Post

I totally agree with the sentiment. But I put this more on the tournament people, not so much the overall company. But that being said, they will not get my main business for sure, but that was nothing new anyway. Sad this even came to this, but when you let guys like this run things, you might get burnt in the long run.

Peace
Old Sun Jul 30, 2017, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Officiating group terminating relationship with Adidas over replacement of female referee

Good for Court Club, but there will be plenty of takers willing to take their place and sell their souls to Adidas.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2017, 06:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc official View Post
officiating group terminating relationship with adidas over replacement of female referee

good for court club, but there will be plenty of takers willing to take their place and sell their souls to adidas.
+1
Old Mon Jul 31, 2017, 01:08pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Being good partners would've meant walking off with that female official.
Correct on this. They may not have thought to do it in the moment so some allowance can be made for the two of them. But they would have scored points with the clinicians had they done so.

The situations where it's needed to stick up for a fellow official can take many different forms. Both on and off the court. Recognizing those situations and then following through by standing up for a fellow official is important not only for the official you're standing up for but for officiating as a whole.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2017, 01:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
Officiating group terminating relationship with Adidas over replacement of female referee

Good for Court Club, but there will be plenty of takers willing to take their place and sell their souls to Adidas.
In our world, there are always whores who are willing to take that assignment no matter the cost. The $25 or $30 means more to them.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2017, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj View Post
Correct on this. They may not have thought to do it in the moment so some allowance can be made for the two of them. But they would have scored points with the clinicians had they done so.

The situations where it's needed to stick up for a fellow official can take many different forms. Both on and off the court. Recognizing those situations and then following through by standing up for a fellow official is important not only for the official you're standing up for but for officiating as a whole.
Not being there, I don't think we can say that. Who knows what those clinicians told them to do. I'd like to think the clinicians themselves would pull the crew from the court with what happened, but they didn't.
Old Mon Jul 31, 2017, 04:11pm
This IS My Social Life

Who is the sponsor for this coach's team? Anybody know?
It's his own "brand" that's funding it, isn't it?

Last edited by Freddy; Mon Jul 31, 2017 at 04:30pm.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2017, 12:18am
Official Forum Member

Now we see Adidas caving to the bad press on this with the obligatory "we're sorry for our mistake."

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/wrong-d...161051463.html

Want to demonstrate something significant?--Don't have his team back for next Summer's event.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2017, 01:04am
Do not give a damn!!

I wonder if the new action by Adidas is because they will be in trouble with the quality of the officials if Court Club pulls out. Yes they might get officials, but they will not likely get D1 or top up and coming officials.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 01, 2017, 07:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I wonder if the new action by Adidas is because they will be in trouble with the quality of the officials if Court Club pulls out. Yes they might get officials, but they will not likely get D1 or top up and coming officials.

Peace
I think this is nothing but a corporate "mea culpa", trying to safe face, and not having any negative backlash affect their bottom line. I think they have proven that when it comes to officials, it's not exactly a high priority of theirs.
Old Tue Aug 01, 2017, 08:16am
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I doubt they give a shit about having quality officials. They just want warm bodies who will show up and not cause problems like this.