The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jul 15, 2017, 03:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Is Your Body On Drugs, Any Questions ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
It's not a solid color.

Hey Mark Padgett, is that you? You look pretty good for a guy who's been dead for twenty-five years. Wait? I'm being told ... Not dead? Never mind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jul 15, 2017 at 03:31pm.
Old Sat Jul 15, 2017, 06:35pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Good point. I've never actually seen the "puffy" protective headband type, so "appears to meet" is a good statement..

(Or maybe I have seen them and thought that they were just "regular" headbands.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
This headband is allowed by our local rec league. I think other organizations should adopt its use.

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-st...t-quality=auto

I have never seen this head gear worn in H.S., college, AAU, and YBOA games that I have officiated over the years, BUT I have seen a few players in Special Olympics games wear it.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Jul 15, 2017, 06:52pm
certified Hot Mom tester

It's actually worn by members of the U.S. Olympic Pole Dancing team.

And no - I'm not posting a photo of someone pole dancing.
Old Sat Sep 09, 2017, 05:48pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Regarding Padded Protective Headbands ...

My local IAABO interpreter will be attending the IAABO Fall Seminar this coming week and the NFHS meetings in Indianapolis the following week.

He has promised me that he will get to the bottom of the padded protective headband controversy, that is, the NFHS seemingly viewing padded protective headbands to be like head coverings, medical devices that must be approved by state associations on an individual basis, with no mention of color restrictions either way; while IAABO views padded protective headbands to be like knee braces, medical devices that are always legal, with no color restrictions.

I'll let the Forum know when I get a definitive NFHS interpretation, hopefully in a few weeks.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Sep 10, 2017 at 04:58pm.
Old Sat Sep 09, 2017, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My local IAABO interpreter will be attending the IAABO Fall Seminar this coming week and the NFHS meetings in Indianapolis the following week.

He has promised me that he will get to the bottom of the padded protective headband controversy, that is, the NFHS seemingly viewing padded protective headbands to be like head coverings, medical devices that must be approved by state associations on an individual basis, with no mention of color restrictions either way; while IAABO views padded protective headbands to be like knee braces, always legal, with no color restrictions.

I'll let the Forum know when I get a definitive NFHS interpretation, hopefully in a few weeks.
My breath is being held.
Old Sun Sep 10, 2017, 05:00pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Waiting To Exhale (1995) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
My breath is being held.
Exhale, it will be a few weeks, if there is a definitive NFHS interpretation.

Old Mon Sep 11, 2017, 02:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Exhale, it will be a few weeks, if there is a definitive NFHS interpretation.
Why would you think that a definitive NFHS interpretation would come out of an IAABO Fall Seminar?
Old Mon Sep 11, 2017, 05:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Meetings ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Why would you think that a definitive NFHS interpretation would come out of an IAABO Fall Seminar?
Because of this:

Quote:
My local IAABO interpreter will be attending ... the NFHS meetings in Indianapolis the following week.

Old Mon Sep 11, 2017, 07:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Because of this:
So you think this will be a big agenda item for the NFHS?
Old Mon Sep 11, 2017, 07:18am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
So you think this will be a big agenda item for the NFHS?
They already ruled on this.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 11, 2017, 11:26am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post

Traditionally, the NFHS Basketball Rules Editor addresses the IAABO Fall Rules Interpreters meeting on Saturday afternoon. He/she also takes part in a question and answer session on Saturday. Not to mention the outgoing NFHS Basketball Rules Committee Chairman is Peter Webb of Maine.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Sep 11, 2017, 06:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Position Statement ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
They already ruled on this.
Soft or Padded Headgear in Non-Helmeted Sports Position Statement
National Federation of State High School Associations (NFHS)
Sports Medicine Advisory Committee (SMAC)

The NFHS SMAC has developed the following position statement regarding soft or padded headgear products in non-helmeted sports:
The NFHS does not consider soft or padded headgear products as effective equipment in preventing a concussion in non-helmeted sports. As explained below, soft or padded headgear products may be worn in non-helmeted sports that allow for such optional equipment, but the intent of that equipment should be for reasons other than concussion prevention. Valid scientific research should be pursued to more definitively determine evidence-based efficacy regarding using such products to decrease the incidence of concussion. However, no currently available soft or padded headgear can prevent a concussion.

The NFHS recommends caution in using soft or padded headgear devices to permit medical clearance of a student-athlete, if he or she would otherwise not be medically cleared to participate in sports. Currently, wearing such headgear as a condition to play in order to prevent another concussion is not scientifically or medically supported; therefore, a medical waiver for wearing this type of equipment in the case of hastening return to play after a concussion is inappropriate. However, this equipment may be used to cover lacerations and sutures, if these devices are deemed appropriate within the sport’s playing rules.

Current design and recommended use of these devices do not address the proposed mechanism of concussive injury, that being acceleration, deceleration and rotational forces acting on the brain. Schools should refer to equipment standards from the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment (NOCSAE), American Society for Testing Materials (ASTM), and the Hockey Equipment Certification Council, Inc. (HECC), when considering protective equipment for student-athletes, and monitor that the equipment is being used for mitigating the risk of injuries for which the equipment is designed.

When considering the use of optional soft or padded headgear products in non-helmeted sports, athletes and coaches should take the time to read the qualifying statements provided with such products that address specific limitations, particularly those related to preventing serious head injuries. Wearing such products may provide a false sense of security in concussion protection to student-athletes, coaches and parents. Moreover, a false sense of security in concussion protection may increase the likelihood that players, coaches and parents will consider a given medical condition to be adequately addressed and may cause them to place less importance upon avoiding head impact, reporting concussion symptoms and recovering fully before returning to play.

The NFHS SMAC will continue to monitor developments in soft and padded headgear and will consider adjustments to its position should valid scientific and clinical evidence arise.

Approved June 2013

Nice position statement, but it's general to all sports covered by the NFHS. In regard to basketball specifically, it leaves more questions than answers.

Is soft and padded headgear to cover sutures or lacerations appropriate for the sport of basketball?

If so, is it like head coverings, medical devices that must be approved by state associations on an individual basis, with no mention of color restrictions either way?

Or, is it like a knee brace, a medical device that are always legal, with no color restrictions?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Sep 13, 2017 at 05:45am.
Old Mon Sep 11, 2017, 07:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

As I said they already ruled on this. Your post proves exactly what I stated. They commented on these devices and told you what about them was legal or not, but every sport has the right to take issue with specifics based on the level of contact.

In the Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook (2017-2018), there is a picture of head coverings (both religious and medical) on page 13 under the Part 2 Section (covers POEs). And the medical example looks more like regular bandages on the head, not a head device that you put on the head like a helmet or protection device that is bulky in any way. So it appears that at best they NF has made it clear that these devices for basketball are not likely approved. But the book does state that you need state approval so I would assume that if a state wanted to approve them you could wear them as I stated earlier on this topic.

There were similar devices outlawed in football because they did not prove to work as advertised and my state did not allow them to be used in games but are used in some situations during practices. That is why my state put out a ruling on the matter I am sure that did not allow these for basketball (they also ruled on them in football as they were also not approved).

Now if your state has not done that, well most of us cannot help you there. But not sure why the NF has to give any more information on the matter if they already had a comment about these devices? I do not see what this guy you reference is going to find out any more than has been published some time ago and in this year's publication.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 11, 2017, 09:19pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Definitive ...

Quote:
Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook (2017-2018) ... the book does state that you need state approval ... this year's publication.
Thanks JRutledge. Sounds pretty definitive.

JRutledge: If you have a few extra minutes could you please post the exact wording used in the Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook (2017-2018) regarding such devices (padded protective headbands)?

Quote:
I do not see what this guy you reference is going to find out any more than has been published in this year's publication.
He'll come back with the same new (2017) citation that you've already come up with. Your citation was what we needed as a followup to the 2013 Position Statement (generic, not specific to basketball). No need for anything more.

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Sep 12, 2017 at 05:27am.
Old Mon Sep 11, 2017, 09:32pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Clear ???

Quote:
So it appears that at best they NF has made it clear that these devices for basketball are not likely approved ... not sure why the NF has to give any more information on the matter if they already had a comment about these devices?
Appears? At best? Not likely? That's why I wanted more information from the NFHS on the matter, and it looks (thanks to JRutledge) like I finally got it.

The citation in the Simplified and Illustrated Rulebook (2017-2018) requiring state approval for padded protective headbands is clear, unambiguous, and definitive.

We had to wait until 2017 to get a clear, unambiguous, and definitive interpretation of the unclear, ambiguous, and indefinite 2013 position statement (specifically in regard to basketball), but at least we finally got it. It was worth the wait.

That's all I need. That should be the end of the story. Say good night Gracie.

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Sep 11, 2017 at 09:45pm.