The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jun 13, 2017, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Game 6 Technicals?

What would be the correct way to handle the 3 technicals that were assesssed after the jump ball was called in game 6 of the NBA finals last night, if this was a HS game? They initially got West for the 1st T, then Smith and another Cavs player got dinged also.
Thanks, Jeff
Old Tue Jun 13, 2017, 07:35am
Courageous When Prudent

Penalize in order. Since none of them were Double T's, you would should shoot 2 free throws for each one. Last team to shoot would get the throw-in.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2017, 04:05pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jqb12 View Post
What would be the correct way to handle the 3 technicals that were assesssed after the jump ball was called in game 6 of the NBA finals last night, if this was a HS game? They initially got West for the 1st T, then Smith and another Cavs player got dinged also.
Thanks, Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Penalize in order. Since none of them were Double T's, you would should shoot 2 free throws for each one. Last team to shoot would get the throw-in.
West and Thompson were assessed double technicals on the floor. JR Smith got a technical upon monitor review. Thus, the techs on West and TT cancel, Curry shot one for JR's tech.
Old Tue Jun 13, 2017, 04:12pm
Official Forum Member

Game 6 never happened.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2017, 12:14am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by AremRed View Post
West and Thompson were assessed double technicals on the floor. JR Smith got a technical upon monitor review. Thus, the techs on West and TT cancel, Curry shot one for JR's tech.
West and Thompson's infractions did not happen approximately the same time in my opinion, but oh well.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited by Raymond; Wed Jun 14, 2017 at 08:07am.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2017, 12:38am
AremRed

Quote:
West and Thompson's infractions did not happen approximately the same time in my opinion. But oh well.
I'd like to hear your opinion as a veteran ref -- how simultaneously do techs have to happen to offset in your mind?
Old Wed Jun 14, 2017, 08:06am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I'd like to hear your opinion as a veteran ref -- how simultaneously do techs have to happen to offset in your mind?
To me they were 2 separate acts because of the time in between and b/c West made dead ball contact to Irving immediately after the tie-up, then Thompson came in and committed his infraction.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2017, 02:53pm
Official Forum Member

No one mentioned the slapping of Lebron's arm by West after the initial altercation. Looked like a good wack to me and should have resulted in another technical on West.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2017, 02:58pm
AremRed

Quote:
To me they were 2 separate acts because of the time in between and b/c West made dead ball contact to Irving immediately after the tie-up, then Thompson came in and committed his infraction.
So anything that is two separate actions? Unless they happen almost simultaneously they won't offset? Looks to me about 2 seconds between West getting the first and Thompson coming in. At some point is it easier to say that these two offset instead of shooting three techs in a row on different ends of the floor because none of them offset?
Old Wed Jun 14, 2017, 03:29pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So anything that is two separate actions? Unless they happen almost simultaneously they won't offset? Looks to me about 2 seconds between West getting the first and Thompson coming in. At some point is it easier to say that these two offset instead of shooting three techs in a row on different ends of the floor because none of them offset?
Guess it all depends. In NCAA-M, West and JR Smith would have each received Contact Dead Ball Technicals in addition to Thompson's unsporting T, so I definitely would have delineated each offense. In HS, still may have delineated for the fact that West made contact with Irving for one offense, then Thompson coming in after that action.
Old Wed Jun 14, 2017, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Guess it all depends. In NCAA-M, West and JR Smith would have each received Contact Dead Ball Technicals in addition to Thompson's unsporting T, so I definitely would have delineated each offense. In HS, still may have delineated for the fact that West made contact with Irving for one offense, then Thompson coming in after that action.
I didn't see the play, but it seems as thought next year in NCAA-W these would offset (except for the one that is "left over"):

Recommend permitting the cancellation of equal foul penalties during the same dead-ball period.
Rationale: Eliminate confusion and delays caused by “layered plays” and allow for efficient adjudication of these situations.