The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Game 6 Technicals? (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/102746-game-6-technicals.html)

Jqb12 Tue Jun 13, 2017 07:29am

Game 6 Technicals?

What would be the correct way to handle the 3 technicals that were assesssed after the jump ball was called in game 6 of the NBA finals last night, if this was a HS game? They initially got West for the 1st T, then Smith and another Cavs player got dinged also.
Thanks, Jeff

Raymond Tue Jun 13, 2017 07:35am

Penalize in order. Since none of them were Double T's, you would should shoot 2 free throws for each one. Last team to shoot would get the throw-in.

AremRed Tue Jun 13, 2017 04:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jqb12 (Post 1006870)
What would be the correct way to handle the 3 technicals that were assesssed after the jump ball was called in game 6 of the NBA finals last night, if this was a HS game? They initially got West for the 1st T, then Smith and another Cavs player got dinged also.
Thanks, Jeff

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1006872)
Penalize in order. Since none of them were Double T's, you would should shoot 2 free throws for each one. Last team to shoot would get the throw-in.

West and Thompson were assessed double technicals on the floor. JR Smith got a technical upon monitor review. Thus, the techs on West and TT cancel, Curry shot one for JR's tech.

Nevadaref Tue Jun 13, 2017 04:12pm

Game 6 never happened.

Raymond Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1006910)
West and Thompson were assessed double technicals on the floor. JR Smith got a technical upon monitor review. Thus, the techs on West and TT cancel, Curry shot one for JR's tech.

West and Thompson's infractions did not happen approximately the same time in my opinion, but oh well.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

AremRed Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1006940)
West and Thompson's infractions did not happen approximately the same time in my opinion. But oh well.

I'd like to hear your opinion as a veteran ref -- how simultaneously do techs have to happen to offset in your mind?

Raymond Wed Jun 14, 2017 08:06am

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1006941)
I'd like to hear your opinion as a veteran ref -- how simultaneously do techs have to happen to offset in your mind?

To me they were 2 separate acts because of the time in between and b/c West made dead ball contact to Irving immediately after the tie-up, then Thompson came in and committed his infraction.

bucky Wed Jun 14, 2017 02:53pm

No one mentioned the slapping of Lebron's arm by West after the initial altercation. Looked like a good wack to me and should have resulted in another technical on West.

AremRed Wed Jun 14, 2017 02:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1006944)
To me they were 2 separate acts because of the time in between and b/c West made dead ball contact to Irving immediately after the tie-up, then Thompson came in and committed his infraction.

So anything that is two separate actions? Unless they happen almost simultaneously they won't offset? Looks to me about 2 seconds between West getting the first and Thompson coming in. At some point is it easier to say that these two offset instead of shooting three techs in a row on different ends of the floor because none of them offset?

Raymond Wed Jun 14, 2017 03:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by AremRed (Post 1006967)
So anything that is two separate actions? Unless they happen almost simultaneously they won't offset? Looks to me about 2 seconds between West getting the first and Thompson coming in. At some point is it easier to say that these two offset instead of shooting three techs in a row on different ends of the floor because none of them offset?

Guess it all depends. In NCAA-M, West and JR Smith would have each received Contact Dead Ball Technicals in addition to Thompson's unsporting T, so I definitely would have delineated each offense. In HS, still may have delineated for the fact that West made contact with Irving for one offense, then Thompson coming in after that action.

bob jenkins Wed Jun 14, 2017 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raymond (Post 1006970)
Guess it all depends. In NCAA-M, West and JR Smith would have each received Contact Dead Ball Technicals in addition to Thompson's unsporting T, so I definitely would have delineated each offense. In HS, still may have delineated for the fact that West made contact with Irving for one offense, then Thompson coming in after that action.

I didn't see the play, but it seems as thought next year in NCAA-W these would offset (except for the one that is "left over"):

Recommend permitting the cancellation of equal foul penalties during the same dead-ball period.
Rationale: Eliminate confusion and delays caused by “layered plays” and allow for efficient adjudication of these situations.